Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2005, 06:52 PM   #1

I have been told to get a factory generator with my Sunnybrook 29rkfw.
I have a 2003 Ford F 250 6.0 deisel.
I am concerned with the weight issue.I believe the Sunnybrook weights in at 9600 dry.
I wont really be boondocking just overnighting. My friend says I really need the A/C and that the power often goes out at campgrounds.
I caddy on the golf tour and I will be traveling 7 months a year.
Any thoughts???

Thanks

Tom Grogan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2005, 06:52 PM   #2

I have been told to get a factory generator with my Sunnybrook 29rkfw.
I have a 2003 Ford F 250 6.0 deisel.
I am concerned with the weight issue.I believe the Sunnybrook weights in at 9600 dry.
I wont really be boondocking just overnighting. My friend says I really need the A/C and that the power often goes out at campgrounds.
I caddy on the golf tour and I will be traveling 7 months a year.
Any thoughts???

Thanks

Tom Grogan

Old 08-19-2005, 07:11 PM   #3

Tom,
Just my two cents... I don't think you will regret adding the generator to your unit. As for "power often going out at campgrounds" I think that is an overstatement... at least it is not my experience with more than 35 years of camping experience, from tents to travel trailers. The gen will also add to the resaleability when you are ready to sell the trailer.

The added few hundred pounds of the generator shouldn't be a factor with your F250. Verify the weight factors of both the trailer w/gen and the ability of your truck to tow it... I'll think you'll find you are well within the weight limits of the truck and have a good safety margin with which to work.

Good luck, and keep the pros happy on the course.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:48 PM   #4

Thanks for the post.....
I will be ordering my Sunnybrook this fall.
Connie at RV land of Brandon is checking out to see if I can get a deisel gen. I think that LP is not the way to go soooo Gas may be a option since its eaiser for me to refuel with gas
Thanks again "Keep it in the Fairway"

Tom
Old 08-27-2005, 08:54 PM   #5

destin100, I agree with your choice of a gasoline genset. The installer should also install a large enough tank so the engine will run at least 12hrs powering your AC. Then you'll have a nice comfortable RV to relax in after walking,toting, all day. Diesel engines last longer, however I've never read a post concerning a gas powered genset wearing out.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had an LP powered generator in my last trailer. Gasoline powered in this one. Either is good. I have no prefereance over the other. I use my generator when over-nighting and 2 boon docking trips a year. I agree that "loosing power frequently in campground" is an exaggeration. BUT I have experienced low voltage conditions at campgrounds, especially on hot days. The generator then replaces the campground power.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 03:47 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
I would also have to go along with adding a genset. It and the extra room is why we decided on a toy hauler. A few years ago we did a round robin Fla-Or-Fla in a Class C, and enroute overnighted at rest areas. We ran the gen all day instead of dash air and it was very nice to have at rest stops. Now we will have the same comfort with the trailer coach. BTW, we averaged about .5 gal per hour for the 4kw Onan.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:29 PM   #8

If you choose an Onan generator here are the weights:
Microquiet 4000 - 172 lb.
Marquis Gold 5500 - 290 lb.

You'll also have to add the weight of the tank and fuel. If you go with LPG, you can use your existing tanks.

The Microquiet will run one AC unit and the Marquis Gold will run two.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #9

The only limiting weight factor with that truck and trailer is the pin weight. Check that! Your truck will pull twice the weight you quoted.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #10

As for a gas tank for a gas powered generator, I went to a boat supply store and purchased a 6 gal plastic portable boat tank. It came with a "quick" disconnect for easy re-filling. I have found that it is just plain easer to carry 2-2 1/2 gal "jerry" cans in the PU bed and refill from them. The tank fits in the gen compartment of the 5er next to the gen.

My gen (according to the factory) consumes about .6-.7 GPH when operating a 75% load.

1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote