Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
I believe the OP was directed to travel trailers, 5th wheels and truck campers. Most of the replies were from motorhome owners. The information is not so much different, keeping the center of gravity low is logical. The references to 'basement' may not apply, though.

Years ago, before recorded history, we had a 10ft Holiday camper in a 3/4T 4x4 International pickup. (Detail to provide 'visual' of height of rig). We always kept canned goods, cast iron cookware etc low in the camper. Whether it kept us from adverse results or not, who knows? However, we still have that tendency to keep heavier items low. Certainly does not hurt.

JoAnn
1999 Tradewinds 7371
Spokane Valley WA

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7suz
I believe the OP was directed to travel trailers, 5th wheels and truck campers. Most of the replies were from motorhome owners. The information is not so much different, keeping the center of gravity low is logical. The references to 'basement' may not apply, though.

Years ago, before recorded history, we had a 10ft Holiday camper in a 3/4T 4x4 International pickup. (Detail to provide 'visual' of height of rig). We always kept canned goods, cast iron cookware etc low in the camper. Whether it kept us from adverse results or not, who knows? However, we still have that tendency to keep heavier items low. Certainly does not hurt.

JoAnn
1999 Tradewinds 7371
Spokane Valley WA
Certainly agree with you, and noticed that most were not TT users for the comments. Just being real, we camp for the fun an relaxation after working 12 hour days, 5-6 days a week, so paper works for me, maybe in 3 years when I retire an move up to the class a coach, I move the CW in the cabinets, but leave heavy towards the lowest point for sure. Thanks or the help.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7suz View Post
But a lot of us started with TT's so the comments are relavent to the post.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7suz View Post

JoAnn
1999 Tradewinds 7371
Spokane Valley WA

You are absolutely right. I did not realize I was responding to a post in the travel trailer forum. Sorry about that.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
High or low is one consideration and you have a lot of good responses on that...

but also front to back should be given a bit of consideration

i.e. as an extreme example, if you load ALL the heavy 'stuff' in the back (behind the wheels) it may affect the tongue weight/ balance of your rv.... so 'some' thought should go into that as well...

Obviously weighing your rv and tow vehicle once loaded will tell you if you are in the ballpark

http://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator
Old 07-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Didn't see anyone suggest locking the cabinet doors closed when traveling.

I cut a corner a little tight once and dumped virtually a full set of Corelle Ware on the floor from 5 feet. Broke over 20 pieces with only a few survivors. It was like an explosion. We were finding shards for years.

I would suggest at least some velcro through the cabinet handles when traveling. The dishware cabinet is the only one that we have had problems with.

NOTE: given my current signature, we once had a trailer.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleValley2 View Post
You are absolutely right. I did not realize I was responding to a post in the travel trailer forum. Sorry about that.
I was not admonishing...only noting the forum. All the information is good, just some things might not apply. We've never had a travel trailer, or 5er, so I don' t know if 'basement', for example, applies.

JoAnn
Old 07-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
High or low is one consideration and you have a lot of good responses on that...

but also front to back should be given a bit of consideration

i.e. as an extreme example, if you load ALL the heavy 'stuff' in the back (behind the wheels) it may affect the tongue weight/ balance of your rv.... so 'some' thought should go into that as well...

Obviously weighing your rv and tow vehicle once loaded will tell you if you are in the ballpark

CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale
At a get-together earlier this year a novice trailer user, I would presume, had loaded his travel trailer with so much weight towards the front we could SEE that the front wheels of his pickup were barely touching the ground. That must have been one miserable trip.....

JoAnn
Old 07-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
I would suggest at least some velcro through the cabinet handles when traveling.
Thanks to someone on this or another RV website too. We have 3 drawers that do not like to stay closed. The suggestions of attaching strips of velcro on the edges of the drawers then peeling off the tape before closing the drawer made sense. I have applied it, and will know after our next trip, if it helped. (It almost has to! )

JoAnn
Old 07-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Well, at least the novice had enough tongue weight

DOOH ! velcro !!!
my lower cabinet drawer opens sometimes - Dooh

Thanks, already used it to allow our bedroom door to 'stick' open when we want no matter the level of the trailer !
Old 07-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Well, at least the novice had enough tongue weight
"fer shure!"

JoAnn
Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7suz

At a get-together earlier this year a novice trailer user, I would presume, had loaded his travel trailer with so much weight towards the front we could SEE that the front wheels of his pickup were barely touching the ground. That must have been one miserable trip.....

JoAnn
Some people simply need a bigger TV. Simple as that. IN my HUMBLE (and safety minded) opinion, if your cargo weight is enough that you can put it in all the wrong places and it overloads your tv THAT MUCH, then the truck isn't big enough to begin with. Air bags are amazing simple technology that is a fairly inexpensive option and a DIY project. If you can't afford a bigger TV and the WD hitch isn't enough, try the bags. But sometimes that is only a bandaid to the real problem. This is why I like having a diesel. You will never see my front end floating. I have front counterweight built in.

There's things you can do to cut corners and save money and that's fine but when you compromise EVERYONE's safety that much, you have crossed the line. Personally I feel there needs to be a license endorsement to pull any trailer over, say 12' or that weighs over 3,000#. You need to go through a basic course and pass a general knowledge test and your tv should be checked for property equipment and function (hitches brake devices etc). I've held a CDL license before and by no means do I think it needs to be that intense, but a scary amount of people are doing scary things simply because they don't know better and do not understand the responsibility placed on them and the consequences of their actions. A quick 1-2 hour tutorial and simple written test would make the roads much safer!!!! Of course this will likely never get passed and I maybe the only person who thinks its a good idea. Just my $0.02!!!

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue12v View Post
Some people simply need a bigger TV. Simple as that. IN my HUMBLE (and safety minded) opinion, if your cargo weight is enough that you can put it in all the wrong places and it overloads your tv THAT MUCH, then the truck isn't big enough to begin with.
The trailer might have been 20' or less. It was 'vintage' and looked like it might have just been acquired. In it's day it had been an upper end coach. Respected brand. I did not look inside, apart from what I could see from my window into the open door of their trailer. It looked like a forward kitchen, center door, and I suppose rear bedroom. I hope it is going to be someone's restoration project. The truck was enough truck - Ford or Chevy, 4x4 and engine sounded strong. There was stuff in it's bed, too, which may have contributed to the v-shape at the hitch. Nice people. Beginning the learning curve I suspect.

JoAnn
Old 07-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #28

I carry the lightweight paper and plastic plates plus a few Corelle dishes in the upper cabinets in the kitchen area. It's all light stuff up high. Over the dinette we store other light items like freezer storage bags, cereal, toaster etc. Canned goods go lower and in one of the two pantries in our TT. We do try and keep the heavier stuff as close to the floor as possible. That would be books (we're big readers), kitty litter and their litterpans, blankets, sheets and such. In the cabinet under the bathroom sink is all the heavy cleaning liquids such as 409, Pine Oil, whatever. Outside cubbies, the lowest areas, have our sewer stuff (rear cubby) and in the front cubbies our BBQ and cooking equipment plus the screen room and First-Up.

Tags
weight