Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

Weight? Where do you store your dishes?

We're new to RV'ing, and we've read every word of our manual. Perhaps we're taking things too literally, but it says in the manual to store your heavy items toward the bottom of the coach, placing lighter items on top.

So the question is..... In our TT the obvious place for dishes (we use Corelle Ware) is in the upper cabinets. We store our pots and pans in the one big bottom cabinet. There are 2 other small bottom cabinets and 1 drawer stack.

Do you think it's okay to store the Corelle Ware in the upper cabinets? We don't have anything else heavy up there except for the base to my Blentec blender.

Along these same lines, we have a pantry. Should we place the canned goods toward the bottom and place things like cereal/crackers, etc at the top?

Just curious what everyone does in this regard, and we'd greatly appreciate any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you have got it figured out. The Corelle is fairly lightweight which we use also. We do store it in the overheads. My wife does store the canned stuff overhead as well, she just doesn't feel right storing it in the lower drawers or cabinets. I think we have enough heavy stuff in the basement to overcome anything in the overhead cabinets.

burfurd

Old 07-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have been storing the Corelle in the upper cabinets for many years. Have only broken one and that was when I cut a corner too short and the rear axle went up over a curb and back down. Cabinet door came open and a dish hit the tile floor. That was over 10 years ago now and a different rig too.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #4

I pack however is most convenient, that being said we don't pack THAT much weight with us, and I don't get concerned over how full my tanks are or how weight is distributed. But I have plenty of truck for the job and hitched accordingly. One ton Dodge dually diesel turned up with exhaust brake and 12 ply 19.5" tires and a weight distribution hitch. 33' TT with plenty of Chassis under it to support the load. Pulls great. Truck bed loaded with all the outdoor gear (grill, outdoor stove, coolers, lawn chairs, rugs, tools, extra potable water, canopy, generator, compressor, etc. toolbox on rear of camper with setup items takes a little tongue weight off to offset whatever is in the front of trailer. If I was using a single wheel 3/4 ton with 10 ply tires I would be a lot more careful in packing arrangements. I wouldn't even consider using a half ton for this trailer. It's a 98 and they didn't make this trailer very light weight. It's about 9,000# loaded. Coming back this weekend we were in bad storms and the wind was pushing the trailer pretty good, still stable with this much truck. I pulled a 12,000# 5'er once with a single wheel 3/4 ton diesel once and didn't feel that stable. Current rig handles like a rocket on a rail when roads are dry. Dually is only way to go!

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #5

One can over think the subject. Normal usage items can go overhead just fine. Wanna store a 24 count case of water? Down below. Taking along a full set of spare parts or tools? Yep down below.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Wildtoad said it.... Unusually heavy stuff down below, e.g., portable propane tanks, BBQ, tool boxes, all those cases of red wine. Lighter stuff up above. In my opinion, the things you use all the time go where they are most convenient. The manufacturer has already placed the super heavy items down low, like water and waste tanks, fuel, water heater, etc. Not that much to worry over.... Have fun.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We always use paper plates. The way I look at it is, when we are in the MH, we are on vacation and therefore do not need to be washing dishes. Paper plates also make good campfire starters and save on water.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Common sense most of it: Sure can goods lower than the cereal, that kind of thinking. Put your dishes where they are most convenient. We use correl and keep it above the sink. When we are moving day after day we put some rubber material between the plates to keep them from sliding and rattlng. No problems in ten years.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
We always use paper plates. The way I look at it is, when we are in the MH, we are on vacation and therefore do not need to be washing dishes. Paper plates also make good campfire starters and save on water.
I HATE steaks on paper plates!! Just don't like the cuts in the plates and the paper shreds in my mouth!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #10

Thanks, everyone!

Thanks for telling us what you all do. It's so helpful. It seems if we just use common sense and stay under our carrying load, we'll be okay. But it's nice to know that we can get friendly, helpful advice on nearly any topic related to rv'ing. I am LOVING iRV2!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found that my correlle plates, bowls and plastic cups fit nicely in a plastic basket. I measured the upper cabinets so they fit in perfectly. I have about 4 medium sized baskets in the upper cabinets. It prevents the dishes from rattling when you are driving down the road or from falling out of the cabinet. I got this advice from a veteran RV'er. It sure keeps everything in its place. You can pick them up at Walmart or Target.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935
Yup, paper plates for sure!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The kind of dishes you carry and whether or not a person uses paper plates may be determined by how much time you are in the RV. As for us we are gone 4 to 5 months at a time. So the conveniences of "home" are important over that long of a period. We may do or brings things a person gone for a week or so may not.

No matter, proper storage/weight is an issue regardless. Good question here followed by good answers.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #14

Yes, I appreciate all of the responses! Personally, I can't stand paper plates, although sometimes they are just the best way to go for a quick meal. So we do use them, but only occasionally. I cook simply when we're in the RV, so I don't have many dishes to worry about. :-) The baskets are a good idea. Actually, I've done that with my plastic cups because they were rolling all over the place. I've put the webbed shelf liner in, so things don't scoot around, but the stacked glasses toppled over without the basket. I'll try that for the dishes as well. And then if we're camped for a long period of time, we can always remove the baskets until we're ready to pack up again. Thanks for all of the great suggestions! Corelle Ware must really love campers, eh?

Tags
weight