Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #15

The most we'd put in it would be a cooler of food/drinks, and some clothes.

Galveston beach is about 30 miles from the house on a very flat interstate 45, and the state parks that we want to go to are all within an hours drive or so.

We just need a camper really so that we can take our dogs with us.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Take it for a test tow and see how it goes. You can put some water in the tanks to add a normal load. You will probably be over weight. You will be the only one here that does that, LOL.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
How old are the tires? They usually age out before they wear out.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 07-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #18

Why not just trade the truck for something with more pulling power?
Old 07-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
remember it's a 15 year old TT. In good condition, but 15 years old. Even stored inside it could still need a lot of stuff. The roof has been inside so it could leak if outside unless it's been maintained. Tires are ??? If you went to trade it in on a new TT, you wouldn't get $4500 and that's if everything worked and tires OK. To trade off a new truck just to pull it is a bad idea, JMHO. Sit down and really think this thing out.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Why not just trade the truck for something with more pulling power?
Um. The truck is two weeks old.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
remember it's a 15 year old TT. In good condition, but 15 years old. Even stored inside it could still need a lot of stuff. The roof has been inside so it could leak if outside unless it's been maintained. Tires are ??? If you went to trade it in on a new TT, you wouldn't get $4500 and that's if everything worked and tires OK. To trade off a new truck just to pull it is a bad idea, JMHO. Sit down and really think this thing out.

I dont even know why I bothered asking. This forum is ridiculous. I get told to buy used, because its the best choice. So I find a used one, and now I get discourage?

The tires have 140 miles on them and are less than a year old. The battery is brand new.

I'm buying the damn thing, and I will not ask another question on this forum again.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
I dont even know why I bothered asking. This forum is ridiculous. I get told to buy used, because its the best choice. So I find a used one, and now I get discourage?

The tires have 140 miles on them and are less than a year old. The battery is brand new.

I'm buying the damn thing, and I will not ask another question on this forum again.

Don't get discouraged. Everyone has an opinion. One person doesn't speak for the whole group. Also don't misinterpret someone trying to give you a very thorough and well thought out answer as "bad" ...... In the end you make your own decisions..... We are just here to try to give input and sometimes play "devils advocate" helping you make a more informed decision.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #23

Quote:

Whats the worse that can happen? We buy a trailer thats just a little too heavy ...
Forum members were answering the question posed. That is how Q and A forums work.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #24

Quote:

Well sorry to hear how frustrated you are. Yes lots of people told you to buy used which I think is fine if you have the time to put into it. You will have to check roof seals and such and just check all the tires really good.

Yes the trailer you bought is to heavy for your truck but just get it all hitched up and go from there. I think you will be fine towing close to home.

So hope you don't go to far would be nice to see you all hooked up and ready to go.

Take care.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #25

I agree with with everyone from being honest and more than that being encouraging as well. So I'm gonna do the same. I know your disappointed I have been there and I want to share my story with you. I didn't do the research before buying the camper we now have and ended up buying another truck and trading in the one I had after only one year. And we all know about how that usually works. $$$$😪. The truck I had was a Nissan frontier crew cab and if I remember rated to pull 6800# and the camper I bought dry weight is 3900#. But because I didn't do my research and was a rookie and didn't know to calculate hitch weight, supplies, etc it wasn't a fun experience when i was stopping and could feel the trailer pushing my truck. I thought well maybe my W/D system needing adjusted. That would help. I took it to a hitch shop and to a trailer place and at both places I was told it looked good. So with that being said I needed another truck if we were gonna enjoy this without white knuckling everywhere we went and at the same time putting ourselves and others around us in danger. I'm not trying to get you upset I just want you to be happy with your purchase because camping is very enjoyable and mind clearing. Last thing. Test pulling it is a good idea from the advice from earlier post. That way you can decide for yourself just how comfortable you will be.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Bare trailer is 5880 before options. I see an A/C so your GVW is probably closer to 5950 than 5800. Unsure of what other options you have but none of them listed would seem to add much weight.

You have to add 60+ lb for propane plus bedding, clothes, beer, wine and whatever else you are going to take. With water and everything your weight will be 6500+. That should put a minimum of 650 - 975 on your hitch. I notice you are figuring on 20% but on a TT a more realistic number is 10 - 15%. I would use 15%.

2014 Sierra 1500 | Trailering & Payload Capabilities | GMC
If I am reading this correctly and have picked the right truck, the GVW of your truck with the V6 appears to be 6400 lbs. GM says the max curb weight is 4942. Curb weight I believe does not include passengers or full fuel?? They say the max payload is 1933. They also say the max conventional towing is 5900 lbs with a 3.23 rear end.

It would help to know the exact weights your truck has at the moment to verify the numbers. You know the drill - with full fuel, hitch, passengers, dogs, toys, etc.

Right from the beginning you will be over the recommended trailering weight.

I am using 1100 for the hitch weight and hitch. You have the numbers for GVWR and the GAWR (front and back). The difference between the actual weight on the rear axle plus 1100 +/- should be less than RGAWR and the weight of the actual weight of the loaded truck plus 1100 +/- should be less than the GVWR from the information on the door.

You will have to verify the weight of the trailer and the hitch weight. I could not find a GCVW for your truck and judging by your persistence in being as close as possible to the limits I doubt you will do much to determine if the loaded truck and trailer fall under the limit. It should be interesting for you to know the numbers and to verify that you may be under loaded in any of the categories, if nothing else than for piece of mind.

This is a lot better than the Jeep you originally were planning to use for towing. Compared to several other fellows on different threads you are quite conservative in the risk you are taking. Given the risk of damage to your truck vs the possible 2,000 profit you might make (?) the decision is yours.

As always drive safe. Be confident but not foolhardy.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #27

Buying used will SAVE you THOUSANDS. towing something too heavy will COST you THOUSANDS. whats the worst that happens? You burn up your transmission or blow up the engine. Dealership starts asking questions and after seeing that there was abuse on the drive train they wont cover repairs. Then your stuck 10k on a transmission or engine. Much worse than just waiting for something else to come along. You are a lot like me. Very bullheaded. Once the idea is in your head thats it. Ive learned that when it comes to saftey that takes priority over pride. You think people are rough now, just wait till they found out the truck got destroyed. Now, am I saying youll blow up the truck? No. I dont know anything about new trucks. That bein said id hate to destroy one. Lol stick around. There are a lot of good people and good information. Good luck on your adventures. I will say thats a great price on the unit!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Get a good brake controller and crank it up, you are going to need those trailer brakes to work really good.

Closed Thread