Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2005, 06:22 AM   #1

Well, we are finally moving up from our popup into a travel trailer. It is only a 1989, but at the same time, our Pup was a 1977, so we are coming up 12 years. We had originally decided to wait 2 years and then buy a new one - we wanted a 30' Zinger. We then decided that for one, that was a long time to wait, and also, that was going to be a lot of money to spend on something we "thought" we would like, but weren't sure. So, we decided just to get a newer Pup (money was a limiting factor). DH drove around town and found a TT and Pup in a person's yard. They did not look like they were for sale, but he went and knocked on the door to ask. He said the worst they could say was no. Turns out, the TT was for sale and they only wanted $2500! DH expected it to look like crap on the inside, but it actually looked pretty nice.

He came back home and got me and my parents to go and look at it. When the guy came out to show it to us, my mother and I realized that we knew the couple and only knew good things about them.

The TT has only been used once in the past 10 years, except for when relative come they have hooked it up to give them a place to stay. It is a 1989 Coachmen Catalina, 27'. When the couple moved to TX, they bought a popup that the husband likes better than the TT. The wife prefers the TT and calls it her baby, but since she wont tow it and they only have a 1/2 ton truck now, it really does not make sense to keep it. The only thing in bad shape is the awning fabric. In all honesty, where we camp, there probably isn't even room to open up the awning, so it is a very minor problem to us. In addition, to replace the fabric is only around $200, so not that bad.

We are so excited. We loved our Pup when we moved up to it from a tent, but this past year we were in a violent storm that messed it up pretty bad. We have done a lot of cheap repairs on it, but we were getting a bit tired of it. My father in law who has helped do the repairs always said that he wanted it if we ever decided to get rid of it.

I guess I will be spending more time on here trying to learn about TT. I don't know the first thing about one!

Maddox - boxer
AllisonAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2005, 06:22 AM   #2

Well, we are finally moving up from our popup into a travel trailer. It is only a 1989, but at the same time, our Pup was a 1977, so we are coming up 12 years. We had originally decided to wait 2 years and then buy a new one - we wanted a 30' Zinger. We then decided that for one, that was a long time to wait, and also, that was going to be a lot of money to spend on something we "thought" we would like, but weren't sure. So, we decided just to get a newer Pup (money was a limiting factor). DH drove around town and found a TT and Pup in a person's yard. They did not look like they were for sale, but he went and knocked on the door to ask. He said the worst they could say was no. Turns out, the TT was for sale and they only wanted $2500! DH expected it to look like crap on the inside, but it actually looked pretty nice.

He came back home and got me and my parents to go and look at it. When the guy came out to show it to us, my mother and I realized that we knew the couple and only knew good things about them.

The TT has only been used once in the past 10 years, except for when relative come they have hooked it up to give them a place to stay. It is a 1989 Coachmen Catalina, 27'. When the couple moved to TX, they bought a popup that the husband likes better than the TT. The wife prefers the TT and calls it her baby, but since she wont tow it and they only have a 1/2 ton truck now, it really does not make sense to keep it. The only thing in bad shape is the awning fabric. In all honesty, where we camp, there probably isn't even room to open up the awning, so it is a very minor problem to us. In addition, to replace the fabric is only around $200, so not that bad.

We are so excited. We loved our Pup when we moved up to it from a tent, but this past year we were in a violent storm that messed it up pretty bad. We have done a lot of cheap repairs on it, but we were getting a bit tired of it. My father in law who has helped do the repairs always said that he wanted it if we ever decided to get rid of it.

I guess I will be spending more time on here trying to learn about TT. I don't know the first thing about one!

Maddox - boxer
Old 08-01-2005, 06:46 AM   #3

Sounds good. It'll be a big diffrence as far as towing and backing, but you'll get the hang of it. Make sure you look at the tires closely. With little road time they could be originals. Check the spare too. I'd also repack the bearings and check brakes. You'll have to go thru the adjustment procedure for your brake controller too.

Other than that, hook up and head out.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:05 AM   #4

LOL - we have to GET a brake controller before we can adjust it. We will be borrowing one of my father's trucks to pull it until it is time for us to trade in my car on another truck. He pulls heavy trailers but he has never felt the need for one. He did say that we could put one on one of his trucks though, so DH was going to look around today and get some prices. I've looked at a few and there seems to be quite a price difference between Prodigy and some of the cheaper ones. We may have to do some shopping around.

I know the term "repack the bearings" and assume it may have something to do with the tires, but I honestly have no clue what it really means. Hopefully DH or my dad will know. The guy selling it to us is really anal up here at work and seemed to be that way about the TT when he was showing it to us. Hopefully he will give DH a thorough explanation on the upkeep of it. His wife just stopped by my office and told me how sad she was to see it go but how happy she was that it was going to us (people she knows and trusts). It made me feel really good.

Maddox - boxer
Old 08-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #5

The wheel bearings are what the wheels spin on. I've head of cases where trailers haven't been on the road for awhile, and the grease goes nasty inside the hubs, and gets too hot and catches the tires on fire.

If you don't have far to go, you'll probably be ok, but I'd recomend having it done if the hubby dosen't feel like ha can.

Repacking the wheel bearings is just part of routine maintenance like changing oil in a car.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:07 PM   #6

Well good for you! Hope you have lots of new adventures - and good luck!

'05 Fleetwood Mallard 180CK
ThunderRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #7

The travel trailer is now home. We got a brake controller installed on the truck before we picked it up. Pictures of the travel trailer can be found at http://community.webshots.com/album/412307427wacxcw

She needs a good scrubbing and some new tires pretty soon, but overall we are very excited.

Now begins the journey of testing everything out and learning how to use it.

Please take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think!

Maddox - boxer
Old 08-08-2005, 07:22 AM   #8

Allison,

Looks good. The interior does look like it's in good shape. Here's a tip. I found a spray bottle of "Black Streak Remover" left in our garage by my FIL. I havd noticed some black straks beginning to form on our, so i tried it and it worked like a champ. I think this is it, item # 21254 at campingworld. I bet a bottle of this and you'll have it looking like new in no time.

You can order a replacement awning fabric through them too I think. And it's an item you can replace yourself.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:01 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Hey Allison, your new-to-you TT looks like it's in great shape. As long as most things are in good working order. For that money you can afford to fix a few things like the awning. Knowing that it was the wife's "baby" you can probably figure she took good care of the inside. I think you got a bargain. Enjoy camping in your new toy! The "baby" has a new momma!
Old 08-10-2005, 05:45 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Your tt looks nice. The interior is in great shape. A little TLC on the outside and you will have something you can enjoy for several years. Have fun fixing it up and traveling to some fun places.

Bill
Old 08-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #11

We take her out tomorrow for the test run. We are just going to the lake which is about 25 minutes away. We have "tested" everything (except the furnace), but have not run them for any length of time.

Cross your fingers for me that the converter, AC, fridge, and hot water heater don't go out on us once they get some heavy use. Also, I'd appreciate no flat tires or other surprises!

Maddox - boxer