Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2015, 08:54 AM   #1

Wet soft spot on floor

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and also I just bought a used 2008 Kodiak Skamper 26' travel trailer.
I love this trailer but when I got it home I found there is one spot in the floor that was wet (under a throw rug) beside the bed. It is the size of my heel but feels like a hole under the lament flooring. So I am looking for a diagram of all the water lines and tanks in this camper. There is a outside barrier, for lack of a better word, under the camper that I can see no damage on but I Also can not see and plumbing lines or tanks either. Can anyone help me get a diagram of where all these things are. Maybe I can make a decision where the water is coming from. There are no signs of a roof leak either.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Vickie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I'd not worry about the source of the water, it will become evident as you start repairs. A soft spot in the floor needs to be repaired or it will spread. You will have to remove the flooring over the soft sub floor. In the process of uncovering and removing the bad spot, you will discover the source of the leak.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #3

Wet soft spot on floor

I would say your source of the leak is from the window or out side storage compartment there's no water lines in the bedroom.. No bubbling or softening of the wall or delaminating on the the exterior wall near window or compartment door. that unit has a rear entry door might be the door leaking to

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
2005 Chevy 2500HD crew cab
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:21 AM   #4

Thank you for your reply, I certainly didn't want to hear that I'll have to tear up the floor but If that is what has to be done I'll Be sure that it gets done.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbleau6885 View Post
I would say your source of the leak is from the window or out side storage compartment there's no water lines in the bedroom.. No bubbling or softening of the wall or delaminating on the the exterior wall near window or compartment door. that unit has a rear entry door might be the door leaking to

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
Rich,24,
I did notice that the storage area does seem like at some point it was wet but thought maybe that was from cleaning. I'll check to be sure all that area is sealed. The hard part is this unit looks like brand new even though it's a 2008.
Thanks,
Vickie
Old 08-10-2015, 07:28 AM   #6

In a travel trailer, a soft floor is a BIG issue, especially if not corrected. Not only do you have to fix the damage, you need to trace back all the way to the source of the leak, fix the leak, and any damage along the way. There is NO SUCH THING as a "little rot". It's like being pregnant, either you are or you aren't, no in between, and both very serious! The good news, if that if you trace back, fix the leak and repair any damage, you are done. The bad news is if not corrected it will only get worse. Once you find the leak source, look over the REST of your camper for potential similar potential leaks. Odds are that if it was a lack of QC or workmanship at one point, it exists all over the camper. Correct any problems you find, and the camper will very likely be better than when it rolled out of the manufacturers shop.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
In a travel trailer, a soft floor is a BIG issue, especially if not corrected. Not only do you have to fix the damage, you need to trace back all the way to the source of the leak, fix the leak, and any damage along the way. There is NO SUCH THING as a "little rot". It's like being pregnant, either you are or you aren't, no in between, and both very serious! The good news, if that if you trace back, fix the leak and repair any damage, you are done. The bad news is if not corrected it will only get worse. Once you find the leak source, look over the REST of your camper for potential similar potential leaks. Odds are that if it was a lack of QC or workmanship at one point, it exists all over the camper. Correct any problems you find, and the camper will very likely be better than when it rolled out of the manufacturers shop.
Thank you Hit_the_Rhod,
Thank you very much for your advice, you are thinking just like me. I talked to the company where I purchased it and they said it could be as minor as taking the belly off and repairing the spor or possibly as major as pulling up the flooring. I bought this camper used but it looks like brand new all but the hole. Looks to have been well maintained. My delima is they can't even get it in to service til Oct 2. So do I take off the underbelly material and look my self or wait and let them? I am so perplexed by this. One side of me says they may not have even seen it as it was under a squishy rug or they knew and put the rugs in there in disguise it. I only found it because after my demo and I got it home I somehow felt the little water that was on the rug and went to put the rug in the tub to dry and that's when my heel hit the little spot. Literally the size if my heel.
My clue is it's coming from either the Gray water or the fresh water as they had water in them for them flush the camper during our demo and it leaked over to that spot. Not using the water after I got home with it I have not seen anymore water. So do I put more water in and look for the leak or save it for the service people to check in October. I have a big camping trip planned for end of September. I guess I do at least need to find the source of the leak before Oct. Then let them fix the damaged floor since I have no way to obtain the materials needed to fix in smal quanites anyway. Would you recommend camping in it anyway if I can spot and fix the leak and then just avoid walking on that spot??
Thanks for your help.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #8

Wet soft spot on floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrayparrish View Post
Rich,24,

I did notice that the storage area does seem like at some point it was wet but thought maybe that was from cleaning. I'll check to be sure all that area is sealed. The hard part is this unit looks like brand new even though it's a 2008.

Thanks,

Vickie

Yes make sure the door is sealing tight also and on your entree door at the bottom off the frame those two bottom corners are sealed also water might be entering there and running under the floor most TTs that have floor rot near an entree door that's the source.. Also after you seal it the spot won't get any worse and it sounds like it's to small to create any odors. My buddy's TT leaked same way from compartment small soft spot the carpet ended under bed about 3 inches into compartment them linoleum . I pulled it up abit and snuck a thin piece of 8icnh by 8 inch plate and pushed it over spot. Quick fix for his 2003 he was happy with it and didn't even feel it when standing on carpet. But if the dealer you bought from will fix it I under your warrantee I'd go that route

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice will be sure and seal it all water tight!!
Old 08-12-2015, 06:10 AM   #10

IF the leak is from the grey or fresh water tank, and IF you drain them, the repair can wait until later. Then IF you can fix the source of the leak above, it is safe to travel in/use until you can fix the damage. My concern is if it is NOT from the grey or fresh water tank. In that case, if it rains, you may get MORE water in the camper, and it may not manifest itself in the same place. I agree that the dealer should pony up for the repair, but I'm not quite sure from your post if he will repair it under warranty, or if he will fix it and charge you. If the leak is coming from the door, you may be able to fix it from underneath, but if it is coming from somewhere else and coming down through the walls or from the roof, personally, I would remove the carpet. That's the only way you can see the full extent of the water damage. Once you figure out how far the damage extends, Lowes or Home Depot can cut and sell you a smaller piece of plywood to fit. Lots of unknowns here, but first and foremost, find out where the water is coming from, and STOP any more from getting in, then fix the damage when you can, and enjoy it in the meantime. If the dealership will fix it gratis, try and get that in writing. It may help if you tell them that if they find/stop the leak now, you are willing to let them repair the floor this winter when their service department is slow. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #11

Also, Vickie where are you located? My wife and I are headed down to the Keys the end of the month, first of September, we may be able to stop and give you a 2nd opinion.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrayparrish View Post
One side of me says they may not have even seen it as it was under a squishy rug or they knew and put the rugs in there in disguise it. I only found it because after my demo and I got it home I somehow felt the little water that was on the rug and went to put the rug in the tub to dry and that's when my heel hit the little spot. Literally the size if my heel.
another thought. If you can contact the previous owners, they may have insights into the source of the leak. Actual water damage to the flooring doesn't happen instantly. If they knew about the problem, the odds are pretty good that the dealer knew about it as well. Or course, the previous owner MAY have been the one to put the squishy rug there to disguise the spot! In that case, the dealer may or may not have done a thorough inspection, and may or may not have known of the problem. Depending on any warranty, the dealer may fix it for free, but only if you persist. You might also want to send them an e-mail recounting what has happened to date, with the note that you discovered the damage immediately after getting it home, and detailing any verbal response the dealer/sales person may have made to you.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
another thought. If you can contact the previous owners, they may have insights into the source of the leak. Actual water damage to the flooring doesn't happen instantly. If they knew about the problem, the odds are pretty good that the dealer knew about it as well. Or course, the previous owner MAY have been the one to put the squishy rug there to disguise the spot! In that case, the dealer may or may not have done a thorough inspection, and may or may not have known of the problem. Depending on any warranty, the dealer may fix it for free, but only if you persist. You might also want to send them an e-mail recounting what has happened to date, with the note that you discovered the damage immediately after getting it home, and detailing any verbal response the dealer/sales person may have made to you.
HEY, thanks for the offer to help me with it, that is awfully nice!! I gues there ARE still nice people out there. I will try to stay in touch with you if I have to tackle this.
Yes, I have already contacted the dealer, 3 hours after I got home with it, I sent an email. I called the salesman and the service guy. Both told me to not panic YET, they would see what they could do. The GM is out of town. But service is backed up until October 2. I was thinking the same about the squishy rugs. They may have been put there to cover it up.
The only reason I panic is this was all the money I had that was left to me by my father before he passed away so I won't have a lot to spend on it to fix it. I told the salesman I had to stay in my price range for this reason.
Anyway, I am sure it is fixable it's just trying to figure where it started and going from there without having to do a MAJOR overhaul. Its too nice of a camper to have to start tearing it apart. But that may be what I have to do.
Thanks, keep checking back I may have questions you can answer!! ��
Wish I knew how to send photos of this camper on here, I swear it looks like new.
Thanks again, have an awesome day!!
Vickie
Ps. I swear I'm gonna save my money and just buy a huge bus so I can really have stuff to deal with!!! Haha