Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #15

Confused, I am....what is directly above the area? It looks like the debris has time to spread out before getting to the floor--is it falling from above? It is on the upper edges of the TV and stereo equipment, making me think it is coming from above the space where you are finding it. I have seen many types of borers in wood, and don't remember seeing the debris that spread out.
Let us know when you get an answer to the mystery.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #16

I cannot tell from the photographs. Are you sure it is sawdust?

I have seen critters tunnel thru insulation and leave tiny bits, but it is the foam insulation. It is something between wood and fiber. Perhaps you are looking too low. Your uninvited guests may be in the ceiling, not the manufactured wood. The debris is simply sliding down the walls...

Also, is there any debris on the top of cabinet doors or draw pulls? Just something to consider.

Also, a bug bomb may be in order. (one of those spray cans that you set and it sprays for 10 minutes in a sealed camper, and you return a couple hours later and air it out)

Keep us posted.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #17

I just saw that wingnut and I were thinking along the same line. I did not see his posting, as it was posted while I was typing, but we came to similar thoughts. There may be a different guilty area than you are considering. (above it)

I happened upon a device that caught my eye, and I am enclosing a link, but it may be the wrong kind of bugs...

RF And Lens Finder Bug Detector - Safety & Security - Useful Things - Things You Never Knew Existed

Good luck. Keep us posted as to your findings...
Old 02-02-2016, 03:47 AM   #18

There is some debris under the spinning TV part of the entertainment center. Nothing above it. I'll check the ceiling directly above this area the next time I'm in there. I cleaned up the evidence so I'll be able to gauge any new activity when I check it again. I'll post an update next week.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #19

I'm also thinking that may be from carpenter ants. They will eat wood or foam insulation. They are really tough to kill also. They make an ant bait that will kill them. They take it back to the nest and it kills all of the ants and queen.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #20

hmm, kinda reminisent of ectoplasm... may be haunted.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:56 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
There is some debris under the spinning TV part of the entertainment center. Nothing above it. I'll check the ceiling directly above this area the next time I'm in there. I cleaned up the evidence so I'll be able to gauge any new activity when I check it again. I'll post an update next week.

Jbenoit28
I had a bumble bee burrow into wood which left wood pieces like you have.
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #22

I too had some wood boreing bees at an exposed bay window on my house. Those wood bees do look exactly like bumble bees, black and yellow and built like a tough bug to be sure. But bumble bees do not eat wood. If it went into the wood, or ate the wood, it was not a bumble bee. (which eat pollen and flower bits)

At least that is how I understand this tiny piece of the world works...

However, this is inside the MH, not outside. I would not guess if there are bugs, they would not necessarily be bees, but a crawling type instead, like ants or like that.

Have you tried a commercial sticky bait? It may catch a single bug as it walks across, and then at least you will know what you are dealing with. It may not eliminate your problem, but will at least help you focus on what is going on...

I sure hope you dont have a prankster who sneaks in and dusts your MH surfaces just to get you riled up...
Old 02-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Just a head's up. If carpenter ants, they prefer wet wood (I too have had them in the basement of one of our homes). If you actually find ants, look for a small leak.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #24

I went and checked on the camper today, no more evidence of bugs. Maybe the insecticide I put out last week did the trick? I didn't see any signs of the actual bugs, just no more saw dust. I looked around the top of the TV cabinet as well and nothing there either. No evidence in the ceiling or any other place of the bugs.

Joe
Old 02-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #25
RPr

If you have saw dust in several places not connected I would think construction waste. Not that unusual.

We had ants in our pop_up but they were in for food not wood.

See if you have a service panel to reach pipes etc. that you can remove for a look see.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #26

We have only seen the sawdust in that one location. It's shown up three times. The last time was during storage, so I'm thinking it was bugs. Never seen them so can't be 100% sure.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #27

If you see some very tiny beer cans then it's carpenter ants.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Just construction debris falling out.........they do NOT cleanup after themselves at the factory.
Piece work does NOT allow for being neat.

Termites do not leave saw dust
Bugs do not leave saw dust

Messy folks doing installs leave saw dust

We vacuumed saw dust, wire pieces, stripped wire insulation etc. up for couple years and we were FT traveling every week.
Out of cabinets, out of closet, out of light covers.
Old-Biscuit

They only cleanup what can be seen by a potential buyer... (construction debris that will be hidden are left wherever they fall).

My coach, when new, had wood shavings plugging the bathtub P-trap... and sawdust, wire pieces, stripped wire insulation (and even a few CANDY BAR WRAPPERS), hidden under the false bottoms of cabinets.
Mel

'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote