Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #1

WFCO converter 8955

I went to a campground that had terrible wiring. I plugged in and my voltage meter went all the way to the right. I was latter told that they had used aluminum wiring and the ground squirrels were getting to it and cross ground it or something like that. I didn't know that my batteries weren't charging for a couple of day. I pulled every fuse out of the fuse box and all were ok. I had to use a charger to charger the batteries went I wasn't driving. I don't have access to a volt meter so I can't test the output. Can A messed up wiring connection ruin my converter? Should there not be a fuse or something to stop this. I noticed it had what looked like a hard wired fuse on the main board but have to take a better look at it. I would assume that its not working because I never heard the fan come on. Any Ideas thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #2

Definitely. And the microwave. And the WH element. And the refr element.
You need a volt/ohm meter. Or have it all checked out.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
A VOM is your friend and it sounds like you may be in a world of electrical hurt. A quick check of the pedestal can be made with a simple tester
30-amp RV outlet Tester or 50-amp Tester

Good luck with the hopefully light damage.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #4

I had the 8945 , the converter part blew form a spike in the generator, ordered a upgraded wfco, it lasted a year before it crapped out, I talked with randy at BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics said there have been problems with wfco(could have said something before I bought them) he said to use the progressive dynamics replacement converter for the wfco , I did and all is good, it has a 3 stage charger and keeps the batteries charged up , and has a storage mode. also i got a surge protector.
good luck

gbstewart
Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #5

Everything else seems to be working fine the microwave the water heater the refrigerator. Everything but charging the batteries. I have a VOM meter thats what tipped me off that something was wrong I guess I will have to start check at the pedestal or get a surge protector
Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcfly View Post
Everything else seems to be working fine the microwave the water heater the refrigerator. Everything but charging the batteries. I have a VOM meter thats what tipped me off that something was wrong I guess I will have to start check at the pedestal or get a surge protector
all 120volt stuff will keep working the 12 volt side of the panel blew. the when you get a new converter you are just changing out the 12volt side it fits into the panel, takes a bit of wiggleing , you also get a new flat fues board so you have to reconnect your 12volt wires, I really recomment the progressive dynamics they have the replacement and much better then the wfco, also they sell the surge protectors, (a must have) I v been where you are dont waste your money on the wfco, best buy converters have all the info you need.

gbstewart
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Another vote for the Progressive Dynamics power converters. I've had other brands fail in previous RVs, but since I've been using Progressive Dynamics converters, I've never had a failure or a converter-related problem. Our current RV came with the PD9180 converter, and with the addition of the Charge Wizard, it has provided over 8 years' of flawless performance. The PD92XX series converters (which weren't available in 2004) has the Charge Wizard function built into the electronics.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #8

But I have read that the Progessive converter takes a different size of wire from the battery, is this true
Old 11-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
No it is not. If the correct gauge was on the WFCO, it will be fine on the PD. The WFCOs are Chinese built and are known to be not very reliable. If is has failed, I would go with a PD9200 series.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:58 AM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
I had a PD that failed, because the manufacturer screwed up the wiring (common AC and negative DC were both "grounded" to the frame making it live 120AC). It was not coming down off of boost phase and boiling an AGM battery. I called Progressive Dynamics on a Tuesday afternoon and had the replacement the next morning via FedEx.
I have not had a problem after I corrected the wiring problem.

Tags
converter