Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2004, 08:44 AM   #15

CyberVet65,
BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2004, 08:47 AM   #16

CyberVet65,
I think if you were involved in an accident with your rig those questions might be asked by the law and the insurance folks. I guess you have had a lot of safe driving and luck on your side. Many more good miles to you

BigBob
BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 07:36 PM   #17

And to make everybody feel safe with there TV manufacturer specs you should know that 2005 Ford F150 has just increased it's towing capacity rating by 500lbs over the 2004 model WITHOUT ANY CHANGES being made to the vehicule. That really makes me feel like they know what they are doing and that I can absolutely trust them. I find it funny that nobody trust RV manufacturers with there figures (I don't either)but nobody questions TV manufacturers who will not tell you EXACTLY what there formula is for determining there trucks capacities. And that's not even taking in consideration the fact that each manufacturer has a different way of doing this (so I am told)
If there are different ways of determing a vehicules capacity why wouldn't "experience" be just as valid?

25'Skamper Lite
T T Towter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 05:38 AM   #18

On the other hand, If you take you rig to get it weighed, and you get all the numbers down, bring it home and leave it like that. Then take it back to the same scales as before and there is nearly a thousand pounds difference, Oh my goodness, Now What?

2003 Monark w/125h.p. Merc
Tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 07:32 AM   #19

Here is an example of what can happen when towing overloaded. Yesterday I worked an accident scene where a Santec trailer had over turned. The tow vehicle was a 2004 Chevy 1500 extended cab shortbed. The trailer was an older 26 foot Santec tri-axle. Inside of the trailer was a Jeep used for off roading, a number of large gas jugs, camping supplies and a minimum of 60 gallons of water. The back of the pickup was loaded to the top of the bed railw with firewood. At 50 mph (his estimated speed)the trailer began fishtailing and the combination jack knifed. The trailer overturned blocking three lanes of traffic. It is pretty safe to say that the TV was a tad overloaded. This driver got lucky that he was the only one involved. The drivers excuse when told he was over weight, "I've towed the trailer this way manny times and I have airbags on my truck." This is what happens when people are ignorant of weight issues. The citation issued will cost him a fortune.

Don W.
2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
2004 Thor Jazz XL 3100RL

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:35 AM   #20

The issue of weight and TV's will go on forever.
I want to know my weight for myself. Nobody else. I need to know if the truck has to have some upgrades in the suspension department or am I ok? I want to know because it has and does change my driving habits.
Believe me, towing that 34 foot across the country changed my driving habits! I was never so glad to get that thing off the truck! But I drove under the speed limit, kept a hugh gap between me and other vehicles. I also did a lot of late night and early morning driving to avoid traffic.
Having said that. I still drive with my Lance. I am aware of the trucks braking and power capabilities. I have over 100,000 trouble free/accident free miles on this TV.
So for me, I want to know what it weighs. And I drive accordingly.
Chet
p.s. The scariest people are the ones who tow and don't know or don't care.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #21

BigBob

There are two weights to be concerned with. One is the total combined weight, which cannot exceed the tv manufacture rating. The other is the gross vehicle axle weight (cargo, and pin weight) also cannot be exceeded.

Now with that said, weight your tv axels as if you were ready to tow, total of the two will give you total tv weight. Most but not all trailer manufactures list there trailer weights dry, and with no options. Now you add water, battery, propane, and option weight. Then add personal stuff, I figure 1000lbs for this, but yours may be different. I do travel light; it comes from my truck camping days

Have the dealer weigh the trailer before you buy (total and pin) then guess about your add-in's (don't forget water and the position of it (over, in-front of, in-back of axle)). Take 20% (this can change depending on where water tank is) of the total trailer weight and add that to your tv rear axle, and make sure it does not exceed the manufacturer tv rating. Then add the total trailer weight to the total tv weight and make sure it does not exceed the total combination weight.

I would worry more about legal action if involved in an accident than anything else. It's not what you can pull. With that said, I am legal but not by a lot 1000 lbs give or take what I bring. I do carry and extra 45 gals of fuel in a tank in the bed of my truck, other-wise a SRW 350 would do just fine.

BigBob you are correct it is somewhat of a guessing game. My trailer listed each and every option and it's weight including water, propane , and battery and gives a total weight. I have varified this and it was accurate. I saw four rollovers last year and don't wish to try it. There is nothing like a dually.

Tom
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote