RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2020, 06:18 PM   #281

Yes, I think Winnebago is already influencing their build quality. Kinda using left over Winnabago parts for the different steps. Winnebago uses the aluminum fold up steps.

I also looked at Winnabago trailers and was not impressed either.

Not sure, but I might just keep the trailer I have because looking at a lit of trailers I have not seen one I like better than Flagstaff/Rockwood.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 06:35 PM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi guys, I wanted to jump in to say I just saw a Keystone Outback 341RD. Admittedly I don’t know TT all that well but I’ll tell you this... It is one impressive RV! The exterior is beautiful with a nice size basement with a pull out tray that was very impressive. And a full 20 ft+ Awning with slide toppers.

The inside was really nice with solid wood and excellent workmanship. Both where the eye can see and underneath and undercover where you generally don’t look. The floorplan has three couches, two making into beds. I thought it terrific how you can sleep six without a single bunk. Loved how they did the dinette and the way they did the kitchen. I think I may have found the right TT.
Thats a sweet layout. I see on Keystones site they have a different type table than the pedestal type. It's mounted to the dividing wall without pedestal under it. ?That would give more foot room.

The only negative with that TT is the small 15" tires and the 10" brakes. I'd want to make sure that the 10" brakes weren't a typo. !2" is whats needed. Minimum 5200 lb axles and 12" brakes.

Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #283

Hi Cumminsfan, I liked that table as well, no sitting under a table and rushed to the emergency room with a broken knee.
I also like the rounded wall when you first walk in. And the way the kitchen counter is canted giving more room to the kitchen/Dinette area. I thought it very well done and very living friendly. I’d like to see the interior with the slides in? I’ll check on the tire and brakes etc you mentioned all equally important. Oh and with the shades up the all over view to the outdoors is really open and liveable with the many and large windows. Very impressive!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:10 PM   #284

I agree, the Keystone Outback 341RD looks super impressive. I watched 2 different videos and everything looks classy for a travel trailer. 3 big slides plus the bed slide is just like a 5th wheel. The canted kitchen sink is a nice design feature.

It is decorated very nice also. Good job to the Keystone design team.

That Keystone Outback looks much better than any Grand Design I looked at today.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:32 PM   #285

You will need a big truck to tow the outback. Probably best to have a modern 1 ton diesel SRW at least.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #286

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
You will need a big truck to tow the outback. Probably best to have a modern 1 ton diesel SRW at least.
I'd want a dually diesel. That would be a very comfortable tow. It's not all that heavy but it's looooong. Windy conditions would be a bear with a short WB 3/4 ton.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:48 PM   #287

Is see half ton pickups up to 13000 pounds. They wont pull it?
Old 01-14-2020, 12:19 AM   #288

Maybe a F-150 with the HDPP option. Heavy Duty Payload Package
Old 01-14-2020, 12:32 AM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Is see half ton pickups up to 13000 pounds. They wont pull it?
No they won't. MFG's love to post factitious tow ratings.
Dry tongue weight is 1045 lbs per the brochure. Add 90 lbs for batteries, 60 for propane now you're at 1200 lbs. Add all the stuff in the places up front and I'm guessing your be at 1400-1500 lbs for tongue weight.
No 1/2 ton has a receiver that can handle that weight. Now factor in almost 39' and there's no 1/2 ton that can handle it.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:50 AM   #290

Thanks Cumminsfan, that makes perfect sense! I should have thought through the process better than I did.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:33 AM   #291

Just curious, what half ton truck can tow 13,000lbs.? I realize this is a flat bed trailer with with most of the weight over the trailer axles and not on the truck. I know the very rare Ford F-150 with HDPP can do it but are there others?

I thought 11,000lbs was being advertised but not 13,000lbs.

Agree with Cumminsfan that the hitch receiver is probably a 1,000lb max.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #292

Quote:
Just curious, what half ton truck can tow 13,000lbs.? I realize this is a flat bed trailer with with most of the weight over the trailer axles and not on the truck. I know the very rare Ford F-150 with HDPP can do it but are there others?

I thought 11,000lbs was being advertised but not 13,000lbs.

Agree with Cumminsfan that the hitch receiver is probably a 1,000lb max.
Ford F150 12,200 Reg Cab 2wd EB
Ram ED 12,560 Quad cab 6.4 box 2wd 5.7
GM 12,200 Dbl cab 4x4 Std box 6.2

Correct no 13,000
Old 01-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #293

The most common is the GM with the 6.2 that takes premium fuel. I do not think I ever saw a Ford F-150 single cab in the last 15 years, and the Ram diesel I think is trying to pass emissions legally.

If I had to use a 150/1500 series truck to pull a heavy trailer the GM trucks would be my choice.

But weight is not the problem but size is. These 37 - 39 foot long trailers are going to difficult to control in the wind or when being passed by tractor trailers. By trying to control I mean multiple steering corrections every second or so to stay between the lines.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:09 PM   #294

Quote:
The most common is the GM with the 6.2 that takes premium fuel. I do not think I ever saw a Ford F-150 single cab in the last 15 years, and the Ram diesel I think is trying to pass emissions legally.

If I had to use a 150/1500 series truck to pull a heavy trailer the GM trucks would be my choice.

But weight is not the problem but size is. These 37 - 39 foot long trailers are going to difficult to control in the wind or when being passed by tractor trailers. By trying to control I mean multiple steering corrections every second or so to stay between the lines.
Id never do it voluntarily but if required it would be an F150 cc had tow and had payload. 3.5 eb would be closest to the task. These trailers are in the 250 range that Id always go 350 instead. 3/4 dont make sense especially with a diesel.

Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote