Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #197

Hi bneukam, I don’t feel you’ve taken the thread off topic at all. To the contrary, one would hope in the upper end of TT’s would have insulation to keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. And not get wet exposing you to an unanticipated shower.

My question now is, does paying more for a TT provide greater overall build, including insulation?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
What do you guys think.

I read trailer testing down to a certain cold temperature an nothing freezes. That is probably bogus as the furnace never shuts off.

I would love to see how much a furnace runs if the outside temp is 35 degrees F. My current trailer the furnace runs about 60% of the time at 35 degrees. It would kick on and run for 4 minutes then shut off. As soon as it shuts off I can feel the cold enter the trailer. Then off for 3 minutes it would kick on again for 4 minutes. I was also running a small electric box heater with 750w during this time test.
You probably have a poor working furnace. I recently read a thread on the Northwood forum about a guy that reworked his furnace venting. Furnace MFG's have guidelines for venting, i.e how many, how long, how many 90* bends, etc.
What he found was that because of the inadequate venting from Northwood that his furnace would cycle on and off because it was not venting properly and causing the limit switch to kick in.

He stuck a thermometer on one floor vent and the temp went to 175, then after a few mins like yours does the temp dropped to 140 then it would kick back on, rinse repeat.

What he did was install a new vent off the side of the furnace with a short flex hose to a new round vent out the wall near the furnace. That allowed the furnace to move the needed air and not cycle on and off. Now it runs till the wall thermostat says it's reached the temp.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #199

TT's of the same length in the same floor plan can have very different R values.
A low priced 31' TT with stick and tin will have less in R values than a higher end TT like a Grand Design Reflection, Northwood Arctic Fox, or a Lance.
When you only pay $25K MSRP for a 31' TT you're not getting the same construction as a $50K TT.
But that in now way guarantees you that you're getting what they advertise.
One word sums up the RV industry. Deceiving.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #200

I just watched 'problems with RVs' on YouTube. One guy had a Grand Design water line freeze at 30 degrees. So he torn into the underbelly. There was no insulation. So every trailer manufacturer lays a real stinker of a trailer every now and then.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:23 PM   #201

I really like the Grand Design Imagine 3100. It seats 6 in the living area with huge windows and 4 in the dinette with huge window. That’s 10 people who can sit together, talk together and watch TV together. I doubt there would be many times there would be 10 people in the trailer at one time but it’s nice to know you can. Also the two opposing couches on slides make into beds that will sleep 4. I thinks that’s terrific flexibility.

I also like there’s only one door (no space taken up by a big 2nd door) into the trailer and one rear slide on the patio side allowing for a 20’ awning.

Grand Design only makes TT’s and 5ers, is that important? It seems like they specialize more than much of the industry. Does that have meaning to you in that they only build trailers?
Old 12-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #202

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I really like the Grand Choice Imagine 3100.
Grand "Choice"???? Do you mean Grand Design?

Grand Design is owned by Winnebago and yes, they are only a TT and 5er builder.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #203

Well to be clear.

Winnebago builds both motorhomes, 5th wheels and travel trailers.

Grand Design builds only 5th wheels and travel trailers.

I do not think it is any advantage building just 5th wheels and travel trailers.

For Grand Design is the Reflection or Imagine their top travel trailer?
Old 12-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #204

Reflection is Grand Design top brand with Imagine their number two.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #205

Quote:
Well to be clear.

I do not think it is any advantage building just 5th wheels and travel trailers.

? Check the MSRP
Old 12-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #206

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Well to be clear.

Winnebago got into the TT business when they bought Sunnybrook. Sunnybrook built the Winnebago line and the Sunnybrook line till Winnebago killed them. Who did Winnebago just buy,,, Grand Designs with the same promise they made Sunnybrook. Then they buy Newmar. Seems everyone is owned by a giant except Northwood and OutdoorsRV. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #207

I was just on the LaMesa RV Sanford website. They do not have a Grand Design 3100 travel trailer in stock right now.

I probably will not go since they do not have one.

I will have a rental car with unlimited miles so if you can find one 100 miles from Palm Coast I will go look at it if you want.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:56 AM   #208

Hi Highway 4x4, That doesn’t sound very good about Winnebago does it? But we’ve seen it in business way too often haven’t we.

Hey Tuffr2, Thanks so much for the offer of going to another dealer. But I’m not that close to my buying decision as yet. I just thought when you mentioned you we’re going to a Grand Design dealer maybe you’d take a look At the 3100. Again, very nice of you to offer!
Old 12-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #209

I stopped at RV One in St. Augustine today to look at the Jayco White Hawk. Then looked at the Jayco Eagle trailer. Naturally I like the big heavy Eagle trailers more. RV One was not easy to escape and I was there for a few hours...ugh. I tried to look at trailers without a salesman but failed, thus the few hours instead of 30 minutes.

The Eagle 330 series trailers are not something I would want to be lugging around with my truck.

That being the case I keep coming back the Flagstaff 29 RSWS (rear living). That trailer I would want to tow. It has the couch plus seating. I like the way they are built also.

I was going to go look at Grand Design again to see what they offer for their 2020 models but RV One sucked all the energy out of me.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #210

Oh man I wouldn’t want to be followed around by a salesman either. I’d like to first decide what I like and I don’t need sales for that. And then sit down with the salesman to ask any questions I have? I’m not against sales folks, not at all, but I don’t need help deciding what I want.

Of course that’s one of the reasons we’re here... To help decide what we like in advance of our trip to the dealership.