Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #211

I have to go to the Orlando Airport tomorrow. Sanford (Le Masa RV) is between Palm Coast and the Airport so I have a penciled in plan to stop and look at Grand Design and Winnebago anc any other trailers they may have.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #212

You’re a traveling man tuffr2 that’s for sure. I’m curious... The MSRP of the Grand Design Imagine 3100 is $43,300 that includes $7,500 worth of options. What is it for the Flagstaff 29 RSWS?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #213

The Flagstaff 29 RSWS is about the same price, once discounted. I would try to buy the 29 RSWS for the low $30,000 price. Maybe $32,000 or $33,000. The MSRP is around $45,000.

This is not a Classic model. To me, the Flagstaff Classic competes with the Jayco Eagle. The 29 RSWS is step down from the Classic.

I would shoot for 30% off MSRP for Grand Design or Flagstaff or Winnebago.

I would like to see all these trailers in one place like the Jacksonville or Ocala RV Shows in about 4 or 5 weeks.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #214

Oh, forgot to mention I walked onto a Jayco Seneca super 'C' motorhome built on a freightliner chassis. It had much better quality and a rock solid feel that made any TT I looked as seem flimsy in comparison. Must be the difference between a $200,000 (after discount) super 'C' and a $35,000 TT.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:57 PM   #215

I wonder when a company like Thor buys a company like Jayco, how much are they left alone to build their product? Does Thor dictate policy or is the company allowed to build with their style and flavor?

Then of course Indiana is all about the RV industry. I heard if a person in Indiana hasn’t work for 10 different RV companies by the age of 18 they’re asked to leave the state? When you consider that all these RV’s are hand built it’s almost a little like the Wild-Wild West isn’t it!?

I mean, when you consider the number of brands owned by Thor and Forest River alone. It’s a huge percentage of the industry and they’re all within 200 miles of each other... WoW!
Old 12-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #216

Outdoors RV Owners Club
"I wonder when a company like Thor buys a company like Jayco, how much are they left alone to build their product? Does Thor dictate policy or is the company allowed to build with their style and flavor?"
It's the Golden Rule,,, them that gots the gold makes the rules. Investment giants buy companies to make money.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #217

I actually talked to a guy just a few days ago 'Shaun Rockwood' at RV One in St. Augustine Florida that worked in Indiana and is now a salesman in RV One in Florida. He was open about building trailers for 11 or 14 years I forget what he told me, he explained he always saw workers trying to do their best. But admitted he did not see everything. He worked for Carriage then Keystone.

You can call him to see if he spills the beans on how RV's are built. Just call RV One in St. Augustine and ask for Shaun Rockwood.

He said the roof is attached really good to the sides, the sides are attached really good to the floor.

He never worked on electric but has worked on Floors, Sides and Roof. Also said special.

I feel better knowing at least most workers are doing their best.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:36 AM   #218

I’m sure that most people do not go to work thinking of what they can mess up today. It may be more of how many will go the extra mile to double check or stop and discuss a problem area? Much of that comes down from management and then to floor managers. Some certainly do better than others.

Somewhere in this thread I remember someone saying that one manufacturer builds their TT’s 2 inches wider than others. What TT builder is that and how do you feel that effects pulling it down the road?

I think I read somewhere that 102 inches, or 8½ feet is as wide as you can go by state law.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #219

Problem with the RV industry is they'll hire anyone that can fog a mirror. That means it could be a young kid right out of high school or a middle age person thats tired of flipping burgers. What kind of work ethics do those two have? Why would a middle age person be flipping burgers? And what life lessens has an 18 year old learned?
Somewhere from those two examples you get the floor manager. In between ?.
Build the quota for the day and head home. I'm not sure all MFG's have the same work rules but the incentive is to build it as fast as you can. The guy gluing the roof screws up then it slows the rest of the line down. Don't worry it'll get fixed during the MFG PDI. LOL yeah right.

The other issues are drug testing and punctuality.

Northwood MFG makes an 8'6 wide TT depending on which model you choose.
https://northwoodmfg.com/arctic-fox-2/north-fork/

Keystone Sprinter is 100"W.
Not sure who else makes a 100+" wide TT.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #220

Do you guys think, if a TT that is wider that it implies luxury? Like the Keystone Sprinter being 100" wide while other trailers are 96" wide, would it be more luxury. I am thinking yes.

I have not seen a Keystone Sprinter in person. Has anyone seen one in person?

As far as towing I do not think you would notice a difference.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #221

The Keystone Outback is a very nice looking TT as well and also 100” wide. I really like the light farmhouse style interiors! The Outback and Sprinter have two of my most favorite floorplans!
Old 12-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #222

Towing should be a non issue. Almost all motor homes are 8'6" wide. Most TH are 8'6" wide. I've been in the Northwood 8'6" wide TT's. I don't really notice any different in the main living area. I do notice the difference around the sides of the bed. 3" more room to walk is very noticeable.
Now if you're looking for a TT with a bed slide out then the extra room will be at the foot of the bed.
If you're looking for opposed slides in the living area then I doubt you would notice 6" more width. And in reality the Sprinter is only 8'4", not 8'6". Will you really notice 4" anywhere on a Sprinter? Maybe around the bed if it's not a bed slide. Thats about it.
3" wider on each side should never be a concern when towing.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #223

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If a 102 wide TT is luxury, then go buy a toyhauler. Luxury???? not.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #224

There are at least 3 luxury TT builders. One just has to understand they come at a cost. Wanting champagne on a beer budget will not happen. We looked into a New Horizon when we bought the 2019. I was already 71 and was going to buy a new dually TV but didn’t want to go bigger than an F350/450. Just didn’t make sense at my age. Paying $125k or more for a new combo was fine but more than double that for a rig 15 years ago is one thing but not at 71.