Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #1

What are the quality TT's today?

My neighbor is looking for a quality small 25' to 27' TT. I have recommended two so far. A used Keystone Vantage or an Airstream.

Who else makes a quality TT?

A quality trailer will have heavier axles and better tires as well as feel solid.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My neighbor is looking for a quality small 25' to 27' TT. I have recommended two so far. A used Keystone Vantage or an Airstream.

A quality trailer will have heavier axles and better tires as well as feel solid.
We looked around at several used brands & got a slightly used 2007 31' Keystone Laredo 311RL TT, the build quality & fit & finish is very good. We also liked the forest river brand. It all depends on what they find & what's avail. & in the size they want.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Towables.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #4

My wife and I recently purchased a 25' Shadow Cruiser and we love it. The price was right, the floor plan is very comfortable and efficient, and I'm a real stickler for quality. Yes, the trailer is constructed of lightweight material, both inside and out, but all RVs are... except maybe the diesel pushers. If I built a 25-foot trailer using materials that I desired, it would probably weigh 10,000 lbs in the end, but I'm very happy with the craftsmanship of my trailer and would highly recommend Genuine Cruiser RV Trailers to anyone (I should be paid to say that)... lol

Cruiser RV is owned by Heartland RV and Heartland is a subsidiary of Thor Industries, one of the largest producers of RVs in the world, so I have a lot of confidence in their product.
roadhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

If your able to...tour one of the trailer manufacturing plants. Airstream build a very good product and are priced to reflect that.
Most TT use similar components ie Atwood, Dometic, Jensen etc. and from the same window manufacturer.Lippert components is a major supplier to TT manufactures.
Do a lot of Research and do your home work...this forum is a very good start. There are TT manufacturing specific forums..so try those as well.
You will get a mixed and very diverse opinions an every brand...what I found out was " a trailer is a trailer"
You'll pick the right trailer for you.

Good luck.
Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
My wife and I recently purchased a 25' Shadow Cruiser and we love it. The price was right, the floor plan is very comfortable and efficient, and I'm a real stickler for quality. Yes, the trailer is constructed of lightweight material, both inside and out, but all RVs are... except maybe the diesel pushers. If I built a 25-foot trailer using materials that I desired, it would probably weigh 10,000 lbs in the end, but I'm very happy with the craftsmanship of my trailer and would highly recommend Genuine Cruiser RV Trailers to anyone (I should be paid to say that)... lol

Cruiser RV is owned by Heartland RV and Heartland is a subsidiary of Thor Industries, one of the largest producers of RVs in the world, so I have a lot of confidence in their product.
Actually Heartland rates pretty low in this owners survey . 51 out of 75. RV Rating - Customer Survey of RV Makes and Models Personally I would not touch anything under 60 on this list.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:50 AM   #7

Another vote for Winnebago Towables.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooter View Post
Actually Heartland rates pretty low in this owners survey . 51 out of 75. RV Rating - Customer Survey of RV Makes and Models Personally I would not touch anything under 60 on this list.
We have loved our last two Heartland RVs, 35' TT and 42' 5th wheel.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Keystone Vantage or an Airstream.

OK, if you think that a Keystone and an Airstream are even in the same neighborhood in terms of quality, I'm going to politely suggest that you reconsider.

Keystone is a mass manufacturer. They're owned by Thor. And I believe that Thor has now bought airstream.

You'll see lots of Airstreams that are decades old. You won't find the same for Keystone trailers.

A new Keystone has a year warranty. To exercise that warranty, you go through the dealer. The dealer typically has no obligation to repair the RV in a timely manner.. And new sales as well as paying service customers will be priorities. I'd suggest you read through BBB complaints on Keystone. Again, scaled them to the fact that Keystone sells MANY more RVs, but I'd encourage you to read the corporate response to those complaints.

Both, in terms of used, will be out of warranty.

Most TT's use the same framing techniques - either wood or aluminum. The Airstream is different - it may be aluminum framed, but the skin provides some structural support.

In terms of how it feels, anyone can add nice cabinets.

Keystone in terms of axles: The axles will be rated to handle the RV's gross weight. Components of the axle may be a product of one or more manufacturers - so it can be hard to get some responsibility if something goes wrong. Keystone provides tires that are rated to gross weight, but they are all out of China, and they are not balanced from the factory. The first thing we did with a new Keystone is throw away the factory tires.

That is, I would look for a good frame. I wouldn't worry about axles or tires - they aren't a major factor. Just make sure they're rated for the gross weight, tires aren't too old, not made from China, springs have curve, and axles aren't sagging.

Manufacturers like DRV actually invest some time in suspension systems and decent tires. Heck, they might spend the extra $80 to actually have them balanced.

And this: Axles, springs, tires - all easily replaced if you don't like them... And relatively inexpensive compared to having to repair a leak or structural issue.

I own a Keystone. I like it. It works for me. I but I knew walking out the door that I'd be the one repairing it (under warranty). I'd never compare it to the quality of an Airstream.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #10

Airstream, Lance, and Nash. It all depends on how much you want to spend
Old 08-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #11

Google Keystone Vantage trailer. They were Keystones attempt to build a high quality trailer.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
Airstream, Lance, and Nash. It all depends on how much you want to spend
That would be my list also..... we bought a Nash.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:23 PM   #13

Winnebago gets my vote , Impressed with the quality every time I get in it.
455lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:41 PM   #14

One more vote for Winnebago towables. I bought mine in early June and have been using it a lot this summer -- NO REGRETS!!!! My gal and I love it to death!!!! Good quality, good looking, and fellow campers cannot stop asking us about it!!!!

ampmtnbkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality