Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #1
What brands to look at?

I'm starting from scratch on a hunt for a travel trailer for cross-country use, 3 months on the road at a time. I'm looking for a small-ish trailer with a solid door (pocket or otherwise) that separates the bedroom area. Queen bed & a dinette with dry bath, definitely less than 30' total length, smaller if possible. Possibly a living room slide. It'll just be me and my 3 cats, so i'm also not opposed to a small kid-sized bunk area; the cats will take it over in no time.

I'll be towing it with a newer well-equipped 3/4 ton (probably a Ram, gas tho, not diesel), so I'm not worried very much about weight. Instead, i'd rather avoid the ultra-lights as I've not heard great things about their build quality, and i'll having towing capacity to spare. However, most of the floorplans i've seen that match my criteria tend to be of the half-ton towable variety, which isn't necessarily a perk in my book.

If you had the above criteria, what brands would you look at?

cgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Outdoors RV/Nash/Arctic Fox. Ignore the "Half Ton Towable" marketing splash. You might have to do the bedroom door mod yourself.

I don't know what a dry bath is.

I have an Outdoors RV 19B with the dinette and a large rear window. ORV | Black Rock 19B It's possible the cats would use the other seats of the dinette seating area to look out the window if it's used as I use it as I only use one (well, okay, one and a half, but I have one dog, not three to fight for space with )

ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
What brands to look at?

A dry bath is on that has its own shower instead of getting the whole thing wet.

As far as trailers check out lance. We just looked a a new one they had and I think it was 25ft with everything I think you are looking at.

And 1/2 ton towable as that's why we were looking at it.

We currently have a 2013 holiday rambler 187qb and wish they were still manufactured.
2006 chevy colorado xtream.
Holiday Rambler 187qb.
Jason&Shantelle&Bella,the Weimaraner.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #4
This would be a great one person (Or two) trailer.

Or this.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #5
We have a Komfort 2410 that has most of what you are asking for. They aren't being manufactured any more but you might find a good used one. These aren't lightweight trailers though.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
You might want to look at Catalina SBS 261BHS. I've heard good things about Coachman Catalina. It's 30' 3" so a tiny bit longer than you want in total length but looks like it has the features you want.
Tony & Lori
2015 20RDC Canyon Cat TT
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 4x4
WVWilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #7
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree with 1bigmess. Outdoors RV out of Legrande, Oregon builds great travel trailers. They even put shocks on their frames which can be used off road. It's important if you buy new to have a dealer close by as there is always a punch list for warranty items.

We're on our second ORV TT. Got a case of twofootitis and had to have a walk-around queen bed which our 18CK Creekside was lacking.

ORV | Outdoors RV Manufacturing

Good luck and have fun shopping!
2015 Creekside 23BHS
2007 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Puget Sound, Wa.
infowars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:19 AM   #8
I just watched a YouTube video of the Outdoor model 23DBS. They are right - looks like a quality trailer with features you are looking for all u dear 30'.
Tony & Lori
2015 20RDC Canyon Cat TT
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 4x4
WVWilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #9
This is what I would buy: Northwood | Arctic Fox 25W
lynnmor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:58 AM   #10
Look at the Winnebago Towables. The Minnie line has proven to be very well made and extremely good to tow.
Lots of features, quality and even colors to pick.
2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:08 PM   #11
For an extended trip be sure to get a TT with a wardrobe closet, not just the little storage bins on each side of a bed that they call wardrobes. For DW and myself with 2 furballs I like the looks of a Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604WS. Body framework is aluminum. Just under 30' in length (my limit) which will fit into older campgrounds, state parks, COE campgrounds without a problem, about 7400# gross weight. It has a rear living area (since you back into most sites), nice sized windows, with 2 recliner chairs, sofa and dinette (or freestanding sofa, table and chairs. The slide is for the sofa and dinette and a slide in the bedroom for a sizeable wardrobe closet. Nice bathroom layout with door to living area and to the bedroom. Take a look. Some TT's may have a bedroom slide with the entire front of the TT for a wardrobe area. Get something with recliner chairs as the sofas are not very comfortable. Get a 15,000BTU AC if available. For features in the Rockwood get the "Emerald Package" which gives you fiberglass walls, aluminum wheels, corian counter tops, slam latch compartment doors, lighted entry steps and a couple more items. Another important feature for me is 2 entry doors, if I were to ever experience a fire I could never get out an emergency widow exit (well maybe I could if fire was licking my rear). Good luck on your search, hope this helps. There may be other TT's similar but I've done a lot of looking and this one seems to fit my needs best.

2014 Palomino Puma 25RS 28 days in 2014, 47 days in 2015, 51 days in 2016 plus 6 more booked
2011 F-150 Supercrew 5.0 6spd, Me, Xyl and the 2 kids, BooBoo and Gracie (kittens)
KT4Wextra is offline   Reply With Quote