Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #1

What do you consider "essential" when packing for a trip?

We are buying our first TT today and will be camping with 3 kids and a dog in tow. Being more of a minimalist myself I prefer to pack light.

So what do you consider "essential" when packing for a trip or just setting up your trailer? I'd love recommendations on safety stuff too, beyond a fire extinguisher?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by digginout View Post
We are buying our first TT today and will be camping with 3 kids and a dog in tow. Being more of a minimalist myself I prefer to pack light.

So what do you consider "essential" when packing for a trip or just setting up your trailer? I'd love recommendations on safety stuff too, beyond a fire extinguisher?

Thanks
1. DW
2. Dog
3. FOOD we will actually eat while on the trip(think about it), last trip we somehow ended up with a whole bin full of stuff we never even looked at for meals
4. tools to tackle most jobs or quick fixes (duct tape, flat and Phillips screwdriver, small crescent wrench, set of wrenches up to 1", glue, zip ties)

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
A good multi-meter for checking voltage
Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #4

If you are camping and have kids along, the fun and joy are already aboard.
Essential? A good stick for poking the fire, and marshmellow sticks. Enough treats to spoil them rotten!
Much good advice from other posters already.
Talk to your camp neighbors. Nothing like hearing and seeing first hand.

Happy trails!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
beer
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ill add to your list...camper suply stores will have a roll of tape that can be used to patch any of your three tanks (fresh, gray and black) I actually shared this tape with a neighbor who had a brand new trailer and he hit a stick on the way to the campground puting a small hole in his black tank!!

I keep and handy all around first aid box with basic needs so you dont have to drive to the local market for some bandaides or pain relief etc.

Add to the tool box, the special screw driver (two sizes) that work on almost every screw in your trailer. They are sqare ended. I keep plyers for the water hose connections.

I keep a very thick pair of gloves for hitching and un-hitching and also for poking around in the fire pit to protect from cuts and burns.

I keep rubber gloves, not the throw away kind, for dealing with the dump station.

Over the years (20+) of rv-ing my wife and I have gotten rid of a lot of clothes and dishes that we NEVER used and were just hauling around. We do like to keep the trailer stocked with bathroom stuff, linens and clothes so that we do not pack and un pack after each trip! Most of our worn out linens, towels and clothes get new life in the RV.

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #7

Wow, glad I asked. We would have never thought about a lot of this stuff. THESE are exactly the kinds of "essentials" I was hoping to find out about. Time to make a list and shop our garage.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
DW and the cat.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #9

If at all possible, set up in the back yard for the first few nights and work with the stuff on board the TT; or a RV park very close to home; this will give you a true feel for what you need and may have forgotten.
It will take perhaps a year of camping for you to develop your own list of must haves.
Have a written list ! You WILL forget , one trip to the next.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #10

We have two girls. You must not underestimate how much TP you will need. Especially if it rains or is really cold, they tend to use the onboard facilities.

Joe
Old 04-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My favorite Margarita Glasses and Toilet Paper, not necessarily in that order…Everything else is in the bus already.
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #12

I always take a fully charged backup battery for our cell phones. You never know!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #13

I agree do a driveway campout to write down those items you need to go into the house for. When we bought our first RV it gave the DW a great excuse to buy a new set of pots, pans, dishes, silverware, storage containers, and some glassware. New went into the house. I make sure I have all necessary items to do minor fixes if needed on the coach that can't wait for home. Lynx levelers, basic tool kit, hoses (dumb and water), a couple of outside games to play with the kids, a couple inside games, couple of decks of cards, my music player, BBQ, and the most important aspect of any good camping trip my private beer cooler. Fully stocked and iced. Oh I forgot a camera.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #14

The same essentials we have at home, but much less of them.