Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #1

What do you do to avoid severe weather?

This question is more for full-timers or those who travel for months at a time. When on the road, how do you determine the best time of year to travel to an area to avoid severe weather? I am not talking about thunderstorms here....more like tornados and hurricanes, etc.

Obviously, a TT is not the place to be in these conditions. If you do find yourself in a severe weather situation, what do you do to protect yourself and your TT?
Kdjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If a hurricane is predicted and I'm anywhere near projected path, then I'm going to run like H---.

Most other weather conditions is a crapshoot. Wherever I am, I will make sure I know where the bathhouse or something similar is located.

Snow in the winter is whole nother matter

I once weathered a major blow on the Florida coast in a fifth wheel. We put all the slides in spent some anxious hours waiting for it to pass. Hindsight told me we should have moved inland.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #3

Weather forecasts. There are numerous weather based websites. There are numerous weather apps for smart phones. There are sites/apps that specialize in providing the projected weather conditions for a travelers chosen route. It is really that simple and easy.
Rowanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdjay View Post
This question is more for full-timers or those who travel for months at a time. When on the road, how do you determine the best time of year to travel to an area to avoid severe weather? I am not talking about thunderstorms here....more like tornados and hurricanes, etc.

Obviously, a TT is not the place to be in these conditions. If you do find yourself in a severe weather situation, what do you do to protect yourself and your TT?
We travel into tornado country every year. We have evacuated 3 times in the past 15 years.

1. Phone, Internet and TV channels that provide weather forecasts and current conditions are essential.
2. Have an evacuation plan. Most camping places do not have a good storm shelter so figure out in advance where you can escape to.
3. If severe weather is possible, disconnect the rig well before the arrival of the storm.
4. And don't be a hero, leave the rig and go to the shelter you've selected, before it is too late. The rig is insured, hopefully...

Our last evacuation was for the tornado that leveled Tuscoolusa, AL. We were in its path, so we left for a nearby very sturdy motel, took our "beverages" with us, ordered a pizza and had a fine time! Tornado missed the rig, of course, and thankfully!

Good luck!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #5

when you live in FL all your life severe weather is nuthing and you drive no matter what even in a hurricane you well find ppl like me in RVs and big trucks in a walmart parking lot on the back side of a wall to stay out of the wind or setting in the center of the parking lot facing the wind at all times

no it sounds nuts but some times you just cant get out of the way in time
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. Another question though. Are there areas of the country you avoid at certain times of year due to severe weather chances? If so, when and where?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #7

Need to know when to hide in the concrete restroom, and when to run.

I have had to do the first one. Twice.

Dont sweat it. No worries.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdjay View Post
Thanks for the info. Another question though. Are there areas of the country you avoid at certain times of year due to severe weather chances? If so, when and where?
Here is a NOAA site with all the severe weather data you could ever need...

Severe Weather Climatology - Radar Coverage Areas

There is lots of information here but you have to work to extract what you need.

I avoid, or use caution and a lot of common sense, during the springtime in tornado alley. However, in recent years, tornados seem to be ignoring their proper time and location of occurrence. Our travel schedules do not take us to hurricane areas during their "season".

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #9

Watch Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri during the May to July time frame. I was only caught once around twisters pulling through Shreveport, LA. If you get caught on the road it is a humbling experience. Truckers go through this. Pay attention to weather all the time using whatever methods you have. Always look around for shelter so you know where it is. If you do get caught - "grab a root and growl."
CaptnLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:08 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't carry portable inflatable pontoons. Yall don't forget about high water when it rains and storms. If I am near a water source that its' level than can rise, i.e. river, lake or tsunami warning, I lift anchor and run to higher ground and clear skies. Same goes if I get hail warnings.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
I would love to offer advice on this, but went out to start the truck up this morning to head to school, and it was -23....Got to school, and 30 minutes into our first class we go into lockdown because of a two armed robberies by a guy just North of campus. Spent 3 hours stuck in a classroom. I think we invite "severe" into our lives. #UMlockdown
Old 02-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #12

Wow, sounds like you had a really bad day! The reason for starting this thread was to give us something to think about instead of the cold and snow outside the window. I appreciate all the replies. Now if this winter would just end, I could do more than dream about camping.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just head to the West Coast. Stay there 12 months out of the year. North in summer, south in winter. On second thought, don't. There is way too many people here already.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hurricane season is June thru Oct. Worst (hurricane most likely) Sept and early Oct. so avoid Gulf of Mexico and SE Atlantic coast.
Tornado's thru the plains are worst (again, most likely) when weather is changing due to seasons. Spring and Fall with Spring more likely. Always BIG tornado around Good Friday and Easter. The Mid South can be bad at this time also.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote