Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #15

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
Well in your case that is fine.

But I have seen my fair share of people who leave hitches in place for no purpose at all. That's why I state they could not make it any more easy with a single pin.

And as far as reason two it won't really help much. And being a owner of a car that had a truck with hitch on back into my car, And then take off soon as I walked to my car to speak to him. So now I have to pay for his error.

For that reason I take my hitch out if not towing anything.
I am guessing, but I think many people that are camping just for the weekend, do not want to handle the weight and then storage of the hitch head. Just too lazy.

Sorry you had a hit and run, regardless of hitch or not, that is a bummer.

Guess I was not clear about point two.

I meant it prevents/reduces damage to MY truck when rear ended by a car.

This happened to my son's truck when he had his hitch head on. Damage to his truck? None. The front of the car that hit him sure was messed up though.

Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #16

I have an Andersen WDH....

..... And I leave the ball part on the truck (no grease though-- Andersen hitches you do NOT use grease on), & drop the triangle plate & chains in front of the trailer where they have been detached).

One MAIN reason I decided to go with the Andersen hitch is the weight--or lack thereof. The ball/receiver part weighs about 15-20 pounds and the triangle attachment plate & chains weigh about the same. Easy peasy for me to work with!

Old 09-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by happybooker1 View Post
..... And I leave the ball part on the truck (no grease though-- Andersen hitches you do NOT use grease on), & drop the triangle plate & chains in front of the trailer where they have been detached).

One MAIN reason I decided to go with the Andersen hitch is the weight--or lack thereof. The ball/receiver part weighs about 15-20 pounds and the triangle attachment plate & chains weigh about the same. Easy peasy for me to work with!
X2 X2 Everything easily comes apart and all fit into an antique wooden fruit box.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #18

It is different from time to time. If for a weekend then I leave it on, why add to set up takedown times, we have streamlined as much as possible. If we go out I try to remember to lock it or I have to through it in the truck. I try to avoid this now due to the weight and sometimes pulling the punishment just too hard for me. The bars always go on the frame whether camping or in the yard. Sometimes if we come home on a Monday and will head out on a Thurs the hitch stays on the truck otherwise it is in the front storage. If camping for a week or so, depending where we are, I leave it on the ground under the trailer or in the front storage. The less I need to move it, the better off I am.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #19

I remove my hitch and store it in the trailer storage compartment, and leave the WD bars laying just under the A frame of the trailer tongue. Mostly because I'm paranoid that somebody might steal the hitch and leave me in a world of hurt. It isn't exactly light, so if someone has a bad back or is a little too elderly to safely handle without hurting themselves it should be ok to just leave the hitch on, but at least remove the WD bars, you really don't want to be driving around with those just swinging around.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #20

Quote:
I remove mine and put every thing in my front storage compartment. Nice and easy.

I never for the life of me understand why most truck owners always leave a hitch installed. I think company's have made it easy enough to remove with one pin.
I never understood the need for it to taken in and out all the time except for being worried about a thief. each to his own I guess
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
I never understood the need for it to taken in and out all the time except for being worried about a thief. each to his own I guess
I think I have stated my opinion on this if you have read it.

And I guess I feel it is easy to pull one pin and put it away.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #22

I drop the bars on the ground under the tongue. If we're going to be there for a spell I might remove the stinger to reduce knee knocking and put it under the tongue as well. My TV is a farm truck, I carry drop stingers with 1 7/8", 2" and 2 5/16" balls at all times besides the WD stinger when pulling the TT. There's rarely a day goes by that it doesn't have one in the pipe...
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #23

Quote:
I think I have stated my opinion on this if you have read it.

And I guess I feel it is easy to pull one pin and put it away.
Some remove it, some don't. I won't begrudge you for removing yours, please don't begrudge me for leaving it installed. There are better things to do with our time in the campground other than be concerned with your neighbor!
FHExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #24

Well i don't care what goes on in the campground.

I am stating when not camping the amount of people driving around with wdh installed and regular hitches that are left in the receiver. And yes you can tell Those's people by the amount of rust that is on the pin and ball due to lack of use.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #25

I also keep an extra set of pins & clips just in case one decides to grow legs and wander off.
FHExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #26

First the weight po-lice, now the hitch po-lice?
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #27

Well if I am the hitch police I guess so.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #28

Before the motorhome, for the toyhauler, the hitch stayed locked in the receiver, and the bars went between the lp tanks and the battery box. Now the tow bar is locked in the hitch of the motorhome. No need to take up storage space.

Highlife is offline   Reply With Quote