Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #29

The OP was asking what people do while camping and now we are talking about the daily drive. Maybe the people we see on a Tuesday are camping and just out for the day.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
First the weight po-lice, now the hitch po-lice?
Lol

C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #31

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
I think I have stated my opinion on this if you have read it.

And I guess I feel it is easy to pull one pin and put it away.
Maybe easy for you but not necessarily for some of the rest of us. Different brands using different styles means different weights. Those of us that are older and weaker don't find it nearly as easy to do as someone such as you find it. Some like myself have bad shoulders (2 surgeries on left, 1 surgery on right) or bad backs. Are we to be deprived of traveling since you determine that we are bad for leaving our hitches in place?

Sure there may be some accidents involving hitches left in place, but there is not one single state that has any law in place barring hitches from being left on the tow vehicle. We are not breaking the law. Plain and simple.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #32

Wow what have I started here. I really don't care what you do when you are in a campground.

All I am stating is somthing that bugs me and I am sure there are others out there that it may bother. If my comment about pulling a pin to remove your hitch bothers you well sorry.

I am terribly sorry for offending all people that have issues pulling out a trailer hitch.

I to have my issues I have a bad back and a bad knee my wrist is screwed up and I just had a hernia fixed after 4 years. But this whole time I still make time and effort to remove my hitch. I mean it had to get in there some how and I don't feel the need to drive for a week or month or a year if not towing somthing behind me. But guess maybe it makes truck people feel cool to do it.

I know there is no law and I don't care I am not trying to pass a law it's just somthing that bugs me and me only I guess.

Now I have said that move on with what the original poster was taking about or lock up the post.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Wow what have I started here. I really don't care what you do when you are in a campground.

All I am stating is somthing that bugs me and I am sure there are others out there that it may bother. If my comment about pulling a pin to remove your hitch bothers you well sorry.

I am terribly sorry for offending all people that have issues pulling out a trailer hitch.

I to have my issues I have a bad back and a bad knee my wrist is screwed up and I just had a hernia fixed after 4 years. But this whole time I still make time and effort to remove my hitch. I mean it had to get in there some how and I don't feel the need to drive for a week or month or a year if not towing somthing behind me. But guess maybe it makes truck people feel cool to do it.

I know there is no law and I don't care I am not trying to pass a law it's just somthing that bugs me and me only I guess.

Now I have said that move on with what the original poster was taking about or lock up the post.
I think some people leave the hitch attached for the simple reason of knowing where it is and having a locking pin on it mounted to the truck, it is SECURE.

I'm not a mind reader, but I feel you prefer the neater/ cleaner look of a truck without a hitch in the receiver. Just asking - and don't get offended, but what about hitch plugs? Cleans up the empty hole right? Plain black? Or personalized/ funny? (toys go here) Or safety - extra brake light?

Me? I have a B&W 'Tow n Stow' - 5" adjustable drop, with all 3 size hitch balls on my truck, I leave mounted whenever I do not have my WDH for my camper installed. I like the clean look of the B&W 'Tow n Stow' when it is in the stowed position. I have added reflective tape to the flat surface for safety. I have whichever size hitch I need with height adjustability to tow whatever trailer I need. Came in handy while camping - a friend was coming to stay with us and had a flat on their new car that doesn't have a spare. We went to U-Haul and got a car dolly to take his car to the next town to get a tire replaced. Car dollys have very low tongue heights and I needed that 5" drop just to tow it.

But, sometimes after a trip, it may take a day or two to switch them out since I don't like carrying that heavy hitch to my shed where I store it out of the weather between camping trips.

I have a pet peeve too. I hate seeing people with the old 4 pin wiring harness flapping below the truck! Zip tie it up till you need it or make a loop for it to hang on. If it doesn't have a cover, get one and the tab on it makes a great hanger. I have seen too many destroyed from catching stuff and then the plug needs repair to be used.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
I think some people leave the hitch attached for the simple reason of knowing where it is and having a locking pin on it mounted to the truck, it is SECURE.

I'm not a mind reader, but I feel you prefer the neater/ cleaner look of a truck without a hitch in the receiver. Just asking - and don't get offended, but what about hitch plugs? Cleans up the empty hole right? Plain black? Or personalized/ funny? (toys go here) Or safety - extra brake light?

Me? I have a B&W 'Tow n Stow' - 5" adjustable drop, with all 3 size hitch balls on my truck, I leave mounted whenever I do not have my WDH for my camper installed. I like the clean look of the B&W 'Tow n Stow' when it is in the stowed position. I have added reflective tape to the flat surface for safety. I have whichever size hitch I need with height adjustability to tow whatever trailer I need. Came in handy while camping - a friend was coming to stay with us and had a flat on their new car that doesn't have a spare. We went to U-Haul and got a car dolly to take his car to the next town to get a tire replaced. Car dollys have very low tongue heights and I needed that 5" drop just to tow it.

But, sometimes after a trip, it may take a day or two to switch them out since I don't like carrying that heavy hitch to my shed where I store it out of the weather between camping trips.

I have a pet peeve too. I hate seeing people with the old 4 pin wiring harness flapping below the truck! Zip tie it up till you need it or make a loop for it to hang on. If it doesn't have a cover, get one and the tab on it makes a great hanger. I have seen too many destroyed from catching stuff and then the plug needs repair to be used.
I must say I like the B&W hitch.

Has nothing to do with cleaning up the back end of a truck. As I stated after having a hit and run on my own car and working in a shop where you would bang your shin off a rusted in hitch that you can't remove. I for the life of me could not understand why leave anything in there when one pin and your done.

And yes I bought a simple hitch plug. Yet again one pin in and out
Old 09-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #35

Sometimes it is hard to pull that little pin out or put it in. If my son is around sometimes I need his help. Never been called truck people before but maybe someone has truck envy.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #36

Nope no truck envy here I own a real truck.

Thank you very much.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #37

Leave mine in , and lay the torsion bars across the back bumper of the TT. We use a key locking pin to secure the hitch to the reciever, both for security and peace of mind from the pin coming out.

Fastone- Did you walk into your hitch while mounted to your truck ? I can understand how you could do that, but at the same time, you should not be walking around some elses truck anyway !

Jim
Old 09-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #38

Maybe it's a case of WDHOCD ??? ....or PTSWDH ???

I dunno... seems like a lot of fuss over nuthin....
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #39

Nope never walked into mine due to the fact it is always removed as I make the effort to do so. And as stated yet again the only time I have walked into a hitch is when working in a crowed shop space. Please learn to read what I write don't make things up to try sound funny.

People on here have made a big fuss over this and got there pantys all in a bunch over somthing simple.

But I guess I am the only one that has things in life that bug me.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:17 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
I dunno... seems like a lot of fuss over nuthin....

To each his own!

Let's get back to "Helpful" tips that the OP was looking for!
FHExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #41

Quote:
People on here have made a big fuss over this and got there pantys all in a bunch over somthing simple.
If the panties fit......wear em!
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #42

I leave mine attached to the TT. I take off the tension of the weight distribution bars, pull the hitch pin and adjust my electric tongue jack so the hitch is loose in the receiver (no pressure) and drive out. Of course I chock the TT wheels first!

wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote