Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #1

What do you do with your hitch at the CG?

What do you do with your hitch if you decide to leave the CG in your TV? I pull the hitch and put it in the forward locker of the TT. Coupler on the trailer is locked in the closed position.

On a recent trip I noticed our neighbor removed the pin on his stinger and pulled forward, leaving the ball/stinger attached to the trailer. I think he released the WDH bars first, but I'm not positive.

So does anybody else do it that way? If so, why?
sinnettc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #2

I remove mine and put every thing in my front storage compartment. Nice and easy.

I never for the life of me understand why most truck owners always leave a hitch installed. I think company's have made it easy enough to remove with one pin.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #3

I put the WD bars in the back of the truck when I unhook. I tend to leave the hitch in the receiver even if I am driving the TV outside of the campground. I grew up in a rural area and when I drove trucks growing up we were pulling something regularly, so we tended to leave the hitch in the receiver. This habit has somewhat carries over - I leave the hitch on when I have the camper away from home, but when the camper comes home the hitch comes out and goes in the garage with the WD bars.
archsnuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #4

remove hitch and bars, put in the bed of truck. I have a roll-n-loc bed cover just pull it closed and lock it.
mavagrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #5

That may be a Pro Pride or Hensley hitch...they are slightly a different type of hook up than regular hitches & usually are left on tongue.
silverado07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado07 View Post
That may be a Pro Pride or Hensley hitch...they are slightly a different type of hook up than regular hitches & usually are left on tongue.
Actually I've seen a couple guys leave their EAZ-Lift type WD's hooked to the coupler. I always wondered how they got it back in there. I suppose someone would have to hold it up while they back in or the guy would have to pull it out and reinstall it in the receiver.

To the OP, when we had our TT I used an EQ WD and just slid the bars across the top of the TT's a frame. I left the WD in the receiver and put a tennis ball or one of those ball covers on it. When we had just the EAZ-Lift WD I put the spring bars on the ground with the curved ends crossing each other at the base of the tongue jack. Only issue with leaving the WD in the receiver is a person can sometimes bang a shin on it.

If you look around the CG you'll see 90% of campers leave their WD in the trucks receiver with the bars laying somewhere near the front of the TT. At least that's what I see here in Oregon.

I've seen some guys that make tubes mounted in the front compartment to slide the spring bars in. I've also seen some that have installed some pipe pieces mounted to the a frame to set the spring bars in.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #7

Store the bars (greasy end tucked into a very small plastic trash can laying on its side, screwed to the bed-side wall of the front compartment). When I leave it attached it gets covered w/a walmart bag to keep dirt out of the greasy tubes. When not attached I cable lock it to the closest stabilizer jack. When TT is in storage it goes in the front compartment
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #8

I always pullback equalizer hitch and store in the front locker
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #9

The WD bars & pins go in my truck tool box. As far as the hitch head/drop bar combo, it stays installed on the truck, nice and safe where it belongs until I get back home and am done with the TT. Then it goes in the truck box with all the other ball/drop bar combo's I use!

and that hitch head with a 2 1/2 inch solid steel drop bar gets heavy! and I'm on vacation man! LOL!
FHExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
I remove mine and put every thing in my front storage compartment. Nice and easy.

I never for the life of me understand why most truck owners always leave a hitch installed. I think company's have made it easy enough to remove with one pin.
One possible reason: I am disabled and cannot remove the hitch due to the weight of it.

Reason two: It is a great rear end collision damage reducer.

We full time and our hitch is always on the truck.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #11

Hmm I leave mine on and push the WD bars around to each side, just have to know that it's back there.
jfpinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
One possible reason: I am disabled and cannot remove the hitch due to the weight of it.

Reason two: It is a great rear end collision damage reducer.

We full time and our hitch is always on the truck.
Well in your case that is fine.

But I have seen my fair share of people who leave hitches in place for no purpose at all. That's why I state they could not make it any more easy with a single pin.

And as far as reason two it won't really help much. And being a owner of a car that had a truck with hitch on back into my car, And then take off soon as I walked to my car to speak to him. So now I have to pay for his error.

For that reason I take my hitch out if not towing anything.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #13

I usually leave my hitch in the receiver and lay my bars across the top of the battery box. We rarely leave the CG once we set up. When we have left, I put the bars in the locker and hitch in the bed. I have a Blue Ox sway pro with a 9 hole shank for enough drop and it is not light.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #14

I prefer to remove my hitch- while camping we tend to find ourselves on more dirt roads, etc, this practice keeps dirt off of the inevitably greasy ball.
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote