Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #1

What do you guys do about a bike rack?

Hi all,

I'd like to get a bolt-on 2" receiver for my rear bumper to accommodate our bike rack. I've heard horror stories of the weight pulling the bumper down or off. I called Jayco and they also don't recommend it, saying the bumper is not built to withstand this weight. This doesn't surprise me, and our rack is pretty heavy even without the 4 bikes on it.

So my question is for those of you I see on the road with a rack on the back...are you making special mods? Welds? Relocating the spare tire? Special light bike racks? Or have you done it and found no problem?

Thanks for any replies...
Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #2

You can have someone or if you weld yourself, weld a piece of 2" tubing behind the bumper to the frame. I'd place it about 4" away from the bumper towards the front of the TT. Then weld a 2" receiver to both the 2" tube and the underside of the bumper. I would also weld some 1/4" flat plate to the underside of the bumper before welding the 2" receiver to it. Maybe about 12" long. That would give you some extra metal to weld the 2" receiver piece to. Then I'd add some 2" angle iron where the bumper connects to the frame.
Of course as soon as you weld to the frame your warranties gone. But that's the price to pay.
BTW this is what I did,

The tow receiver pieces are welded to the frame partially. I've had this setup for going on 4 seasons without issue.
Holds our two bikes tight and wiggle free.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I assume you are asking about putting a receiver on the back of the Jayco and not installing a double receiver between the truck and the trailer?

If so, the additional welding is prolly a good idea. Back in our TT days, a welding shop customized a receiver mount on the TT for us in an easy afternoon. Whether the extra metal was necessary or not didn't bother me -- Better safe than sorry, right? Cost was about $75, I think. All I had to do was spray paint it black.

/ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #4

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467933901.818349.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  97.0 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467933917.975212.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  84.4 KB
We had a 2" receiver welded on and are using a swagman RV bike carrier. First trip last weekend on a very rough highway. No issues whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:35 AM   #5

Sounds like welding is the way to go...thanks!
Old 07-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #6

My brother had one bolted to his bumper with the obvious disastrous results.

Don't do it !!

We picked up our first TT on May 13th of this year and negotiated a pre-installed bike rack into the price. Unfortunately, a few weeks later I found out they had intended to bolt it on to the bumper. The dealer insisted they do this all the time and never have a problem. They weren't even going to reinforce the bumper. I called the manufacturer who told me the bumper will not hold more than 100lbs - about the weight of the spare tire. My bikes plus rack weigh over 200lbs. Add to that the weight caused by the "leveraged" bike rack jumping up and down on bumpy roads, and I knew that this was going to end in disaster.

By the way, I am a road-cyclist / mountain biker, and my bikes are kinda' expensive.

Although the dealer fought back, I insisted they install a custom-fabricated receiver to the frame. This is the best way to go. I can also flip my rack to my TV to get to the trail-head when I part the TT.

Very good set-up !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	132420  
Attached Images

MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #7

Another thing to consider is mounting a hitch to the front of your tow vehicle. I recently did this. From another post:

installed this a couple of weeks ago on my 1998 Coachman on a F-53.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The install was straight forward. You do have to enlarge the two forward holes on the frame and use a grinding stone bit to enlarge the two oblong rear holes on the frame. I was able to do it myself by using a floor jack to hold the receiver in place while I bolted it on.

Install video:*https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...van-33055.aspx

I also intend to use it to hold bicycles when I get them. For now it's the flag pole holder ... holder.

See pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1468005281928.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	132433  
Old 07-13-2016, 03:18 AM   #8

I had this worry for some time for some time. I did not want to put them myself on the bumper. I flipped the dinette wood benches and attached bike fork clamps. Then install all 4 mountain bikes to the wooden platform during travel. It works like a champ. I an post a picture if you want.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #9

this is what I currently having issues.

what is the thickness of the failing bumpers? number of bikes ?
(0.107 thick, steel, no seam, and 2 aluminum framed bikes ) on a 2005 Coachman. and a rack that holds bikes by the wheels only. (No frame Contact) so no swinging.

and the 3 places I called about custom made to trailer frame is over 400 dollars. and 3 to 5 days to finish. and NO painting.

and NO I can not weld. and no interest of in front of truck. but a front receiver is only 150 dollars.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Hammer View Post
this is what I currently having issues.

what is the thickness of the failing bumpers? number of bikes ?
(0.107 thick, steel, no seam, and 2 aluminum framed bikes ) on a 2005 Coachman. and a rack that holds bikes by the wheels only. (No frame Contact) so no swinging.

and the 3 places I called about custom made to trailer frame is over 400 dollars. and 3 to 5 days to finish. and NO painting.

and NO I can not weld. and no interest of in front of truck. but a front receiver is only 150 dollars.
Have to admit ... my setup was pricey. The custom fabricated receiver was $500 and the full-swing yakima rack was $750.
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #11

Bike Rack

I got the optional bike rack for my Nash 23D. I modified it by drilling a hole through the mast of the bike rack near the top and installed a 3/8" Carriage bolt with a ring toward the trailer. I then attached two 1" wide nylon ratcheting straps secured to the frame on each side where the frame meets the rear bumper to pull back on the bike rack toward the trailer to prevent any movement or bouncing by the bike rack. It is very secure.

If your trailer does not have a rear hitch for a bike rack, you might look at the frame mounted hitch by Curt mfg. But then you need to have straps to pull pack and secure the load. That worked for me on my previous trailer, and I was able to haul two bikes from California to East Texas and back with no problems.

David & Jeannie and two cats
2015 Nash 23D
1996 K2500 Suburban 7.4L
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010040.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	720.7 KB
ID:	132933  
Old 07-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just in case you or anyone you know is in the market for a TT with a built in bike rack, there is one in my 2011 North Trail 28brs.

You can see it within the classified section. Although I do not have a pic with the bike rack out.

The rear bumper slides out. The two side ends of the bumper-rack are within the frame. It is strong enough to hold a BBQ or a Gen.
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #13

A few years ago is here what I did. I flipped my seats upside down then you can see the fork mounts screwed in and bunged the rear tire. The front tires go under the table spot. I have it setup for 4 but easly could setup for 5.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazingm42 View Post
A few years ago is here what I did. I flipped my seats upside down then you can see the fork mounts screwed in and bunged the rear tire. The front tires go under the table spot. I have it setup for 4 but easly could setup for 5.

LOVE IT!!!! Good idea.

Hatchee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike rack