Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #29
arw

We just go our 2020 Coachman Apex Ultra-lite 215RBK last month. Having had a 26 ft MH back in the 80's and 90's we knew what worked and did not work. We wanted a couples RV that could be towed by our Nissan Frontier. It came in well under all the abilities of the Frontier and can also be towed by our Pathfinder if we want to do that.
Our top must have that this fit besides weight were a Queen walk around bed, a dinette not a couch, large ref and a shower I could stand in (6'2"). Also my wife did not like doors that entered the RV and the first thing you saw was the bathroom which this does not. The dinette is a U so when we take one of the Grandkids, which we already have done, they can sit in the back out of the way. It is a slideout and although you cannot get by it when it is closed you can slide around the U and get to the back of the unit.
There is an entertainment center between the bed and the rest of the trailer making it feel like a separate room. The TV spins so you can see it on either side.
At this point not enough we don't like to worry about.
arw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #30

Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Dislikes with TT

I have a 2018 Whitewater Retro 166. Its 17ft of solitude for me. I don't like the wet bath. I wish I went a couple more feet bigger and got a normal bathroom. I also don't care for the burners on the stove going in a vertical direction instead of horizontal, inline with the galley kitchen. I just find it awkward to cook that way.
Otherwise, she's a bit less than 3000 lbs and I'm pulling with my Rav4 Adventurer. Works well for me so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415 View Post
What do you like and dislike about your camper? What features and options do you want on your next one? What options did you pay for that you could really do without? I learn a lot for the opinions and experience of others

My wife and I recently purchased our first TT, a 2003 Crossroads 30'. It had a new A/C installed last summer by the previous owner and everything (major) works as it should.

We are already excited talking about buying a new TT, only a bit smaller. I told her that if we bought a new one that in 15 years it would be in the condition that ours is now, which is still really nice... or would it? Are the new trailers still constructed similar to the older ones or is the quality of the older trailers something of the past?

A few things we like about ours: Having 2 entry doors. I like our manual awning. We both love having the bed in the rear to keep it farther from the road; if I want to enjoy the outside view I'd prefer to go outside and see it. The capacities of our current tanks are 58 fresh water, 45 gray, 35 additional gray, and 45 black which is nice! Our ceilings are 6'10" and I don't want anything shorter. The slide out gives a lot more room. Outside shower is nice.

A few things I don't like: The 30' length will eventually prohibit us from staying some places. The thing weighs nearly 9000 pounds with a 1300 pound tongue weight; another camper and I started setting up at the same time and by the time I was finally done getting ours level he was sitting at his campfire We haul it with an SUV and the trailer doesn't have much utility storage for things that could normally go in a truck bed. I'd like to have pass through storage. I fear the day the slide out quits working and because of this I may want one without a slide.
luv2fishnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #31
JG

What we like & Don't like

3 years ago we starting doing research for our retirement years as first time RVer's. We looked at class A, B, & C's & Trailers. After reading about all the quality issues, we had to rethink what we were trying to do. Do we want to take a house with us or do we just want a hotel room. We decided we just need a room. So we looked at trailers & found out about there problems too. Then we found out about the Fiberglass Trailers. We looked at Oliver, Big Foot, Casita, & others. Found a Lil Snoozy company 4 hours away. We drove to the company & put down $10k as a deposit. They went out of business 18 months later & we never got our camper & lost the money. 5 days later bought a Casita out of Texas. We bought a used Pickup.
The Casita is a 17 feet. Weight $3000. We put in a full size mattress. It is perfect for us. It is very easy to tow. The same width as my truck. It fits in my back yard. Very easy to back up. Very easy to setup & take down. The quality is very good & being fiberglass no worry's about leaking. We like the bathroom size for a small trailer. Like the closet. Cools & heats up fast.
We are retired now. So we have been camping a lot. What surprised me was how much my wife loves this Casita & camping. She likes it better than me.
What I don't like? The TV is a waist of money. It has trouble picking up any channels. The sound is very low while playing a DVD, even turned all the way up. We download our own shows & movies. We use our camper as a base camp to explore any area we are at.
Because it's just the two of us & one dog it is a perfect camper for us.
JG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:55 AM   #32

Mines is a 2009 Holiday Rambler : I like having the bedroom and living room slides ,large rear bay window, generator prep, the dislikes, not having 50 amps, two AC’s
readog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:02 AM   #33

Dislike -
Crawling on the floor to light the oven’s pilot light.... This is even in our Cedar Creek Cottage which is a Destination Trailer.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #34

I own a 2001 Thor Komfort 22FS 5th wheel. Rear kitchen, sofa slide, split bath, 50 gallon fresh water, 45 gallon black tank, two smaller gray tanks. DW and I love this thing! We are not full-timers, but we do travel for a couple of months at a time twice a year. The only thing wrong with it is its age. I've kept it in great condition, and while I've never been turned down at a private campground I have had to send pictures before being accepted. Ongoing maintenance is the one negative, and I would buy a new one today if it was available. But all of the new fifth wheels are way too big! Nobody now makes a 24-foot 5er, let alone one with the features that my Komfort has. My GMC duramax barely feels it back there. :-) The Winnebago 25RKS is the only thing that comes close, but even though it is 3 feet longer than mine it lacks the split bath, the holding tanks are smaller, the interior decor is drab, and there is very little closet space. I'll quit ranting now.
FiddleMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #35

Loves:

Layout - Large kitchen counter area, more counter space than I've seen in any RV that doesn't have a center island (or some rear kitchen units). Other than floor space, the only access lost with the slide in is about 2/3rds of the East/West sofa (but the dogs are good at using all of it). With the slide in we have full access to the bathroom, refrigerator, and kitchen

Storage - In addition to the normal cabinets, we have a nice kitchen pantry and great cabinets in the bathroom. Also instead of the typical under-bed storage there are large drawers on each side and a spot for a laundry basket in the middle.

Windows all around. We have a bathroom window at the very back and it comes in handy for both the view and ventilation. We have multiple windows on both the street and curb sides, so views are not missed. And I swapped out the door's privacy glass for smoked glass to complete the package.

U-Dinette - There's something about this that really works well for the two of us.

Rear Rack/Tray - Up until this season the tray was used to bring our generator on any dry camping or boondocking trips. The generator was used so rarely we're now using the sturdy rear bumper to attach a hitch for our bicycle rack.

Things we don't like:

Jackknife sofa - Although it works well for our dogs and for me, my wife is not comfortable sitting in it for long periods. So she would prefer recliners in our next RV (but we'd still like a sofa for the dogs). She needs a place other than bed that is comfortable for reading.

Dinette cushions - The foam has broken down enough after 5.5 seasons that if we're keeping this TT we'll likely take them to an upholstery shop for updating.

Pony wall - In reality my complaint is in the length of the RV Queen mattress (which we upgraded to memory foam). The pony wall between the bed area and the rest of the TT means I cannot add a spacer at the top to help with the fact I'm 6'3"

Size/Weight - We originally were shopping for 20-foot TT's until we discovered this barely used unit. It's a 25-foot box and weighs more than what we were shopping for. So like a lot of people we fell in love with a unit that required us to get a different tow vehicle than planned. And because we choose the Andersen WDH, I chased stability issues for the first two seasons. On the plus side, this was one of the smaller units in the North Trail family, so we have more CCC than the bigger units (since they all share the same axle ratings).

Low Kitchen Sink - With my height it is a challenge working in the kitchen sink (doing dishes). I have to stand with my feet far apart and I can't bend over because of the upper cabinets. I'm really, really looking forward to a center island sink in our next RV.

We've averaged over 50 nights a year of camping for five seasons. At the end of our big three-week trip last year we were ready to keep going if we had the option.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #36

We have a 2018 Arctic Fox 25Y. I like the theater seating directly facing the TV. I like the storage next to the bathroom and in the slide. At 30' it is the longest I was willing to get. Not many dislikes. We did our research and got the best one for us!
Cheers,
Ltripreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:29 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post
What I don't like? The TV is a waist of money. It has trouble picking up any channels. The sound is very low while playing a DVD, even turned all the way up. We download our own shows & movies.
If you can solve the reception problem, the sound may be an easy fix. We don't rely on the television's tiny speaker. We run a 3.5mm cable to the stereo system and pump the sound into the 4 interior speakers in our TT.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st-tt2018 View Post
Take a look at this for the generator.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton...QaArIwEALw_wcB
This is what I use for the heavy lifting(up to 300 #), generator, full propane tank:
From etrailer, breaks down to 3 parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1475.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	252298  
LHCDryHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #39

We have a Heartland Cyclone 4200 (Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) and live in it full time. We have no other home.

We like our side deck and being able to walk directly out on it without having to go down stairs. Robin likes that the master bath has a full-size bathtub and also that there is a second full bathroom for me back in the garage. We like garage because when we're not on the road, I use it as my office and music room. We are also very glad we added on our Splendide washer/dryer (vented) as part of the package. Finally, we are glad we got the 23cf residential refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom.

One thing we don't like is that the living room couch is at a 90-degree angle to the TV. I pretty much solved that by: 1) removing 3 sections of the 5-section couch and turning it into a love seat, 2) buying Robin a recliner that turns to face the TV and 3) replacing the wall mount with a more versatile one that allows us to bring the TV out from the wall with a larger turning capacity and also allows it to be angled down a bit.

If we had it to do over again, we would have ordered it without the HD package, which includes an additional 3 TVs (bedroom, garage, and side deck) and the central vac system, simply because their weight reduces our cargo capacity. And we really don't need the beer refrigerator. It's conceptually kinda neat: you fill it up in the kitchen, turn it around and push it into the cabinet; then you pull it out onto the side deck. But how hard is it to walk a few feet to the refrigerator and carry drinks out to the deck? We are replacing it with a Vesta dishwasher. Also, we could have done without the stairs for the rear deck (which is also the ramp to the garage). We don't use the rear deck, much less the stairs and, again, that is extra weight.
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #40

Georgie Boy Landau class A-1999- it would be nice to have an engine so I could
actually use it someday
smith.roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #41

For those of you mentioning not being happy with your couch/sofa/chairs and next time getting reclining could/chairs ... doing this any time is possible. As soon as we bought our 2019 Heartland Northtrail, I pulled out the new never used sofa sleeper and put in a new dual-reclining sofa from etrailer. Yep, it was a little pricey, but OH SO VERY comfortable and worth it. And, we were able to sell the sleeper sofa for $500.
woodcycl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #42

what i like 4 slides on my Teton. love the added insulation and better cooling capabilities in intense heat and humidity. The likes far outweigh dislikes.

what i dont like 6k of pin weight. My trailer axles weigh as much as my last 5th wheel total. I thought id be gain a thousand or so pounds going bigger from 39 to 45 feet. But getting the Teton i gained about 6k or more before i hauled it to the park to move out of the Newmar. Bigger more slides is great until you realize oh boy this thing is heavier then i imagined.

ive not had any upgrade remorse.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer