Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #1

What Generator

I have a Winnebago Minnie I wanted to get a generator in case I need some powder.what type does anyone recommend?
Jonnypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #2

Probably need a 4000W at the lowest so it can start your AC in the summer. Some say that a 2500W Honda inverter/generator will do that job and be quiet while doing it. They just cost 3x what a regular Harbor freight generator costs which can do the job just as well. So really it's up to your budget
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #3

I am wondering what kind of generator Harbor Freight has that is as good as the Honda? I have heard that of the Yamaha and some say so of the Bolley, but I don't know that I have known anyone who used one of the Predators that they sell.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #4

For our Minnie, I got a Champion generator rated at 3500/4000max. It has a 30A RV plug. It's enough to power the AC and everything else. 4 gallon gas tank is good for 12 hours.
I ordered it through Amazon.com with free shipping for under $300. Have had it 6 months and perfectly happy with it, but it is pretty heavy. I can pick it up and put it into and out of the back of the truck, but I usually just leave it in the truck most of the time when camping.
Great product and best price, especially with the 30A RV plug!
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
I am wondering what kind of generator Harbor Freight has that is as good as the Honda? I have heard that of the Yamaha and some say so of the Bolley, but I don't know that I have known anyone who used one of the Predators that they sell.
sorry I didn't mean to imply that the predator at HF was as good as a honda. Just that the 4000W Predator would do what the 2500W Honda would. Of course the Honda would be much quieter and fuel effecient, but the Predator would still function like it should.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #6

As I've posted many times, I have a Boliy PRO3600SI, purchased in 06/08. If you look up the specs for that Boliy, a Honda 3000, and a Yamaha the same size, you'll find the Boliy specs are the best of the lot, including price.
I had to replace the Boliy's carb in 12 because I left for 6 months without draining the carb, the fuel went bad and ruined the carb, which BTW cost $39 for a new one. I had to replace the starting rope that same year because I got overzealous trying to start it before realizing the carb was bad.
Other than that It's always ran great. It starts and runs a 15,500 BTU air conditioner/heat pump easily, and will power the microwave at the same time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #7

Boliy has good specs and they perform well - when they run.

It has no warranty support- you've got to ship it back vs take it somewhere local if you have a problem. Shipping is on you.

They have a Far higher rate of initial issues than the japanese units - a comprehensive search for Boliy problems uncovers a lot.

I like the yamaha 3000 ISEB- "Boost" model - it has the ability to deliver an instant hit of power by backfeeding battery amperage independent of crankshaft speed when the unit calls for current, this is unique - and allows AC kick over from eco mode better than any other 3K unit Ive seen.

You can get parts anywhere and almost every yamaha dealer will work on it.

Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #8

While my MH has an onboard Onan, I purchased a Champion generator rated at 3500/4000 from Tractor Supply for my hunting camp. Have used it for three years an average of 700 hours per year. Never has missed a beat. Has a two year warranty and I purchased an additional three year warranty.

Not a Honda but hard to beat the performance for the price!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the Honda 2000, with the extra companion unit. I carry both in the Summer but maybe only one, if needed, in the cooler weather. Considering changing one of them to LP, haven't decided yet. I really like the quietness of the units.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #10

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
Nothing is as good as Honda. Honda has fuel pump and can draw from outboard motor tanks.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #11

Predator generator specs: http://www.powerproducts.co.za/gener..._generator.pdf
It states this "made in South Africa" generator output is at 50 hertz only (not for sensitive electronics) , and does not address a db rating. Its ratings are at 3,000 rpm, which I suspect is a construction genset range.
Consumer Reports recommends hearing protection while this genset is running.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #12

Our little 4K Briggs and Stratton saved our rear end in a big ice storm here at home... Sure it is loud,,, but waking up in the middle of the night in a dark neighborhood,, (no real close neighbors like in town, but at that point everybody else was gone..... ) it was the best music I ever heard... Guess you could always put a better muffler on it... Still after almost 4 years it starts on the first pull.... And it was under $300 the way I remember... If we trade our old class A for a TT, I'll get a quieter one for emergencies...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #13

two EU2000's power a 15.5BTU AC?

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on two Honda EU2000's. In my previous posts I have noted many of you use the hondas and are pleased with them. I have two questions for the forum--

1-on paper it will support the 15.5BTU ac, do any of you have any experience with this using two EU2000's?

2-Any of you using the Yamaha's 2000w gens in parallel?

Of course, any other comments related to either brand/RV usage would be appreciated.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on two Honda EU2000's. In my previous posts I have noted many of you use the hondas and are pleased with them. I have two questions for the forum--

1-on paper it will support the 15.5BTU ac, do any of you have any experience with this using two EU2000's?

2-Any of you using the Yamaha's 2000w gens in parallel?

Of course, any other comments related to either brand/RV usage would be appreciated.
I do not have either the twin honda nor Yamaha. I operate 2 Champions with a parrallel kit. No problem cold starting my 13,5 AC unit and continuous operation.Both Yamaha and Honda are great..but not in my budget for the amount I would use them..I bought 2 champions for the price of 1 Honda from Costco. I would feel comfortable using these with a 15,5 AC unit and if need be inśtalling a hard start capacitator. Hope this helps.

Champion 2000 Watt Inverter Generator
Model Number: 73531

Highlights
2000 max watts
Up to 9.5 hours of run time at 25% load
Quiet – 53 dBA
Lightweight – 48 lb. (*net)
2 year limited warranty
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator