Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #1

What if a motor goes out on the slide out?

I bought a 2014 I-GO LITE with slide out back in November and haven't had it out yet.. Hopefully I never have a problem with the slide out ,but curious about how to get it back in if I do.. I looked a the Schwintech videos but I see no way to disengage the motors to manually push it back in like they show.. I graduated up from a pop-up with manual slide so probably worried over nothing..But after having two water leaks and never having it in a campground has me slightly worried about other problems.
Scoobyd313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you don't have a manual for the slide, why not ask the dealer where yuou bought it or call customer service at the manufacturer?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #3

I am planning to call them

I will give them a call since there is no manual on the slide at all..I am planning on going camping next weekend and I was hoping someone here could explain it in a less technical way..
Old 04-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #4

On my rigs there has always been a way to manually run it in or out in case of motor failure. Where it is depends on the type of mechanism.
markroblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #5

Often there is a removable cap and you fit a small crank handle and wind for half an hour - similar to what is on electric jacks for slide-on campers
Old 04-04-2014, 03:18 AM   #6

The motors are at the top of the two outer rails.

On this unit there is one motor on each side mounted inside the top of both rails..the video I looked at on YouTube said a screw can be taken out and the motors slid up and out of the gear channels.. There is no screw and the closest thing to that is a rivet.. I can't imagine having to take a drill and drilling out a rivet on each side to lift the motors out of the channel.. I will call tech at Evergreen or Lippert.. On a side note we had some serious rain here yesterday and not a drop of water came in from the refrigerator vent or the gas exhaust from the heater.. The guys at Tennessee RV seemed to have that problem fixed..
Old 04-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #7

It's definitely a good thing to know your Plan B. Main slide failed on our last trailer. I had a manual crank handle for a fitting on the opposite side. The slide was stuck so hard, the crank broke. Tried to fit a socket and extensions but no go. So to Plan C, call ERS. After two hours, guy showed up and he couldn't make the slide move with his heavier duty crank. Finally had to put a 2x4 under the slide box, lift it a bit with 3 jacks to clear the floor, and then with me pushing and him cranking, we got it in all but a half inch. New trailer, under warranty, back to dealer and said I don't want that to happen again. It did. Trailer gone. Basic issue was not slide mechanism, it was bad design to have a flush floor and too much resistance to lift the box up. But I have also had two failures on our Class A. Both times, was able to crank it in. Slides-love 'em. Hate 'em.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
.. . Basic issue was not slide mechanism, it was bad design to have a flush floor and too much resistance to lift the box up. But I have also had two failures on our Class A. Both times, was able to crank it in. Slides-love 'em. Hate 'em.
I purchased a Jayco double slides, delivery next month. I hope it doesn't have the bad design described as above.
Canonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #9

I still haven't called evergreen

I have been looking at different forum and YouTube videos..I thought I had it figured out.. They said to unplug the motors from the control panel and it would release the electric brakes.. So that seemed logical... Then ....Where in the camper is the control panel for the slides??? I have looked everywhere exposed and nada.. I suspect it's behind the regular control board but I am not taking that apart to find out... I just need to break down and give them a call..I don't know if it was the dealer or evergreen ..I have a few of the appliance manuals and not a thing that says I -go on it.. Nothing on the slide ..awning ..electric stabilizers or on demand water heater.. I called evergreen on the camper manual after I bought it and got a generic one.. Nothing specific to the I-Go 221 that I have or anything with the added upgrades...
Old 04-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonto View Post
I purchased a Jayco double slides, delivery next month. I hope it doesn't have the bad design described as above.
Before you leave the dealers, fully extend all the slides and ask the salesman to get them back in for you without using electricity.

Quote:
They said to unplug the motors from the control panel and it would release the electric brakes..
If that was the case it would be very dangerous design because brakes should be set when there is no power to the unit. Energise the motor and the brakes release. (bit similar to parking brakes on a bigrig where if the air pressure drops, the brakes apply automatically
Old 04-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #11

I finally called Evergreen

They say there is a screw to release each motor on the slide.. After doing that they say just push it in and put a travel locking board in to keep it from working open..I will look again .. The screw must be well hidden. Dan at Evergreen was very helpful with the manuals and other questions I had.. So I am confident they will guide me thru any questions or concerns I have.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #12

Is it a grub-screw on a coupling that connects the motor shaft and the gearbox shaft
Old 04-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Describe the slide.. They come in 3 types.

Cable cars

Rack and pinion

And hydraulic

Theory has it one could make a screw drive but I've never seen.

Once I know what kind it is I know how to override.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #14

I found it

The unit has a rack and pinion set up .. But I finally found the hidden screw that has to be removed to lift the motor out of the shaft.I wasn't pulling back rubber seal far enough.. I feel confident that if anything happens I can at least get it back in. Dan at Evergreen has been very helpful but I think I have him stumped. The control panel for the slide is not in the usual place since the unit has a on demand water heater that fills the normal mounting area..But that's not a big deal I can find it if I have a real need..

Tags
slide, slide out