Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
The original question said that they were on a long trip. It didn't say anything about boondocking for a week or two. My thought is that you should always dump before traveling. My second thought is that if your black tank is getting close to full when you are boondocking then it is time to move. My third thought is that if you are going to boondock long enough to fill your tanks then you need to have a plan: 1. Bring a blueboy to dump into. 2. Know where the closest dump station is. Lastly, do not dump black waste on the ground anywhere! It will have lots of toilet paper, etc. in it. TP will not deteriorate very quickly in dry Arizona. Very lastly, if you do decide to dump the black tank, make sure it is only a gallon or so. This will get you through the day and you can dump the rest in an approved location.
Good ideas. We always leave home with empty tanks. We wont boondock for longer than a few days since we'll have a lot of ground to cover. But we are unable to find out how many gallons the tanks hold in the used Class-C we'll be taking. We know the gallons of the TT tanks but don't want to haul it on such a long trip. We will have to stop at CGs at least once a week to do laundry and shower. Sponge baths are OK but.... At those times we'll dump and flush the tanks. If anyone here actually bothered to read the entire OP and understand the simple question asked, they would see we have no plans to dump our tanks anywhere but a dump station.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Really? How do YOU do that when you plan to meander here, there, and everywhere on a cross-country trip? When you don't want to be regimented and forced to take routes you don't want to take? We have to dump every 6 to 7 days if we don't use the shower. We'll have no idea where we'll be 7 days from home. Or 7 days from THAT point.

Are you saying there are Dump stations everywhere? Have you ever traveled the back-roads of America? Gotten off the tourist track? I can guarantee you you will be lucky to find them hundreds of miles apart in some areas, especially off the boring tourist track.

If your tanks are full, the odor is increasing or the sewerage is starting to back up, and the next Dump is 12 hours away.... you'll consider dumping in a remote area.
You're completely missing the point here. Your black tank doesn't just "fill up". As an RV owner, it's your responsibility to monitor your waste systems and plan accordingly. You don't "meander" the back roads of America and then miraculously discover that your tank is full. That's just plain irresponsible. Properly dumping your tanks is a responsibility, not an inconvience that can be dealt with by fouling someone else's property. I'll give these forums credit, they certainly draw a cross section of all campers.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrohorse View Post
Bingo.... How do you get to the point of having to even think about an emergency dump in the outdoors?
When it happens to YOU, you will understand.

Quote:
Sounds to me like poor planning or nobody's monitoring the holding tanks.
How do you plan when you don't want to be regimented to certain routes and don't know how long you'll spend in each area? Maybe you're gauges work, but ours never did after the first few times we used the RVs. Our black tank always reads either 2/3s full or 100% full. The gray water one is only slightly more accurate. When empty it reads 1/3 full. The only one still accurate is the fresh water gauge.

Quote:
I could understand this type of scenario if your black tank only held five gallons or it was 3000 miles between dump facilities . You stayed way too long at a desolate boondocking site or someone doesn't know how to monitor their tanks. Either way is hard to understand....
How are you monitoring your tanks when your gauges don't work? Can you peek under your RV and see them? We can't see ours. I don't anticipate it happening but it can, especially to anyone who doesn't want to be a slave to a certain route.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #46

Quote:
You're completely missing the point here. Your black tank doesn't just "fill up". As an RV owner, it's your responsibility to monitor your waste systems and plan accordingly.
We can't SEE out tanks and the gauges haven't worked in months. So how can we monitor them? In the RV we'll be taking on this trip, we can't even find out how many gallons the waste tanks hold. I doubt we'll run into the problem but you're all starting to sound accusatory, like I plan it to happen.

Quote:
Properly dumping your tanks is a responsibility, not an inconvience that can be dealt with by fouling someone else's property. I'll give these forums credit, they certainly draw a cross section of all campers.
[Moderator edit]
Old 09-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by windydaboo View Post
Actually during long cross country trips, in remote areas, it can be very difficult (very, very difficult) to find dumping locations.
Thank you. It seems we have a bunch of people here who think dump stations conveniently exist in ever little town and burg in the country. That's because, and I can almost guarantee it, they either never took a long trip across the country, or they're the type who stick to the tourist routes and stay in CGs every night. All I did was ask a question and they're as much as accusing me of planning to dump my tanks hither and yon. It would have to be a real emergency situation for me to do something like that and it would have to be a really remote area.

Quote:
Especially when there are 6 people using the facilities. In my experience 6 people can fill a tank in a little over a day. Our last trip had 8 in the coach. I've been known to drive over 40 hrs. non-stop to our next location and a black tank can easily be filled in that time.
I'm guessing the folks who say poor planning are couples, not families. I believe every Interstate rest stop should have a dump station and water fill, currently they are few and far between.
Again, thank you for posting that. It may be something others who have never been on a long cross-country trip in more remote areas don't know. Without someone speaking up, they'll think those who make it sound like dump stations are all over the place are right.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #48
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, learning a lot from this thread....Not!
Old 09-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilva View Post
there really is no excuse ! poor planing n it doesn't make any diff. how many on board. If u know ur tanks will fill up in 24 hrs or 5 days u plan fof that. Its not brain surgery.
That's not what I asked. Reread the OP.

Quote:
There r R.V. parks along most u.s. rds. that u can pull in to dump.
No there aren't. Don't mislead people.

Quote:
Also most all Flying Js have dump site, use to be free now $5, cheap @ the price. As for rest areas not having dump n water, Thats a thing of the past as a matter of fact every yr we lose a few more. We all want more but don't want to pay for it.
Are you aware there are many areas with no truck stops at all? You failed to answer the original question.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Wow, learning a lot from this thread....Not!
Everyone went off topic. Why do they bother to reply when they don't want to answer the original question?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
As one who lives in a semi rural area I see the end product of the 'it's harmless' school of thought. It's not harmless when someone dumps a lold of crap on YOUR property or in your neighborhood.

I've seen someone dump their black tank IN the campground! On purpose! We heard the CHP chased him down and arrested him.
Why didn't you just answer the question I asked which wasn't if it was harmless or not. That wasn't the question... nor was the Q. of if it's OK to dump in someone's neighborhood or the grass at the CGs. Did you even read the OP?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #52

Quote:
Let's use some math and logic to examine and refute your claim of how it's "very, very difficult" to find a dump station. If you mean finding a dump station that is 500 feet off the interstate and is free, then I agree, otherwise, I'd have to say that's BS. Using a conservative 40 MPH average, you would travel 1600 miles in one of your 40 hour driving marathons. I would be hard press to believe that there's no campground, Cabela's, or state/federal dumping facility in that many miles. I'm extremely confident that I can find you a dump station enroute on your next trip...
You didn't even read what he wrote before replying. He didn't say there was no dump stations along the route he took during those 40 hours. Go back and read his entire post again.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #53
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the OP question does not have any value and is just plain silly. It will naturally invite the responses seen. It seems the question is only good for starting a fight...I for one, will not step into the ring. I will simply do my best to make sure I am not caught holding a full tank of pooh.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by windydaboo
Actually during long cross country trips, in remote areas, it can be very difficult (very, very difficult) to find dumping locations. Especially when there are 6 people using the facilities. In my experience 6 people can fill a tank in a little over a day. Our last trip had 8 in the coach. I've been known to drive over 40 hrs. non-stop to our next location and a black tank can easily be filled in that time.
I'm guessing the folks who say poor planning are couples, not families. I believe every Interstate rest stop should have a dump station and water fill, currently they are few and far between.
Those same interstate rest stops have bathrooms too. Why use the trailer while traveling? With 6 people the trailer should be emergencies only while traveling. Not a convenience.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
Those same interstate rest stops have bathrooms too. Why use the trailer while traveling? With 6 people the trailer should be emergencies only while traveling. Not a convenience.
Many rest stops are closed due to the poor economy. Others are so filthy they're a health hazard. Some are locked at night and if they're not, they should be. Carry a gun and enter at your own risk.

Closed Thread