Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I make a point of knowing where to dump and occasionally visiting dump stations BEFORE the tank explodes on me. There is a web page that helps. RVSaniDumps or RV Dump Stations - Home
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #16

iRV2 No Limits Club
I would "dump" my grey. The black would go into my blue boy, that normally travels empty.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #17

Dump the gray; pee in the sink!
Old 09-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The original question said that they were on a long trip. It didn't say anything about boondocking for a week or two. My thought is that you should always dump before traveling. My second thought is that if your black tank is getting close to full when you are boondocking then it is time to move. My third thought is that if you are going to boondock long enough to fill your tanks then you need to have a plan: 1. Bring a blueboy to dump into. 2. Know where the closest dump station is. Lastly, do not dump black waste on the ground anywhere! It will have lots of toilet paper, etc. in it. TP will not deteriorate very quickly in dry Arizona. Very lastly, if you do decide to dump the black tank, make sure it is only a gallon or so. This will get you through the day and you can dump the rest in an approved location.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Old 09-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
Sounds like poor planning to me. You should know where dump stations are before you need them. This is easy info to find on the internet before you even venture forth.
Bingo.... How do you get to the point of having to even think about an emergency dump in the outdoors? Sounds to me like poor planning or nobody's monitoring the holding tanks. I could understand this type of scenario if your black tank only held five gallons or it was 3000 miles between dump facilities . You stayed way too long at a desolate boondocking site or someone doesn't know how to monitor their tanks. Either way is hard to understand....
Old 09-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrohorse View Post
Bingo.... How do you get to the point of having to even think about an emergency dump in the outdoors? Sounds to me like poor planning or nobody's monitoring the holding tanks. I could understand this type of scenario if your black tank only held five gallons or it was 3000 miles between dump facilities . You stayed way too long at a desolate boondocking site or someone doesn't know how to monitor their tanks. Either way is hard to understand....
X2
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Boy will this open a:
Mr D, how many cans of worms do you have?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Mr D, how many cans of worms do you have?
As many as you need! Want some? Actually I only have two, the one posted earlier and this one:

Old 09-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #23

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Actually during long cross country trips, in remote areas, it can be very difficult (very, very difficult) to find dumping locations. Especially when there are 6 people using the facilities. In my experience 6 people can fill a tank in a little over a day. Our last trip had 8 in the coach. I've been known to drive over 40 hrs. non-stop to our next location and a black tank can easily be filled in that time.
I'm guessing the folks who say poor planning are couples, not families. I believe every Interstate rest stop should have a dump station and water fill, currently they are few and far between.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Full grey dump it, full black dump the grey to make room for black.

Why AZ

I don't understand how dumping the grey(gray) tank makes room for black?..

Old 09-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #25

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
I don't understand how dumping the grey(gray) tank makes room for black?..

I believe he was saying you can dump the grey, cap the hose fitting and then open both valves so some of the black goes in the grey tank.

That won't work on mine though since the grey tank is above the black tank. I think it would be nice to have the grey tank dump into the black tank thus flushing the tank out as it drains.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #26

full tanks

there really is no excuse ! poor planing n it doesn't make any diff. how many on board. If u know ur tanks will fill up in 24 hrs or 5 days u plan fof that. Its not brain surgery. There r R.V. parks along most u.s. rds. that u can pull in to dump. Also most all Flying Js have dump site, use to be free now $5, cheap @ the price. As for rest areas not having dump n water, Thats a thing of the past as a matter of fact every yr we lose a few more. We all want more but don't want to pay for it.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is really no problem. First of all, the black tank is biodegradable. It's not a oil waste tank. The real question is, if you really had to go to the bathroom and you were in the middle of the desert, what would you do? Same answer for both. [moderator edit]
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #28

Can you please explain what you mean? I thought the grey tank and black tank were completely seperate. Aren't there usually two tanks? Thanks
Closed Thread