Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #1

What is a safe size trailer to tow?

We have a 05 GMC Envoy Denali. It is equipped with the factory tow package and the 5.3L V-8 engine. Our intention is to visit states like Kentucky and the Carolinas. Suggestions and advice welcomed. Also, what are the better (top 10?) brands to consider?

Thanks to all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #2

You need to check your owners manual on the Envoy for factory, trailer tow weight limits and GCVW. Then take the Envoy to the scales loaded with everything you intend to travel with; passengers , luggage , pets , etc. , to get an accurate idea of how much the Envoy will handle.

The question " What can I tow ?" is perhaps the most asked in the forums.
I'll link you to the best answer.

If to go to the " Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicle Discussion " forum , and read the first post.
" Tow Vehicle Sizing & Weight Calculator " by "007"
The info there will help you get your answer.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
You can only safety tow as much as your driving experience can handle for starters.... Next, gas pots are very limited on actual towing mostly to overheating, second is equipment failure so be gentle, especially if you're going to be wandering in hilly country.

We tow a 24' x 8.5' x 12' high behind our 40' diesel pusher with no problems, Freightliner under carriage same as the big rigs moving 60-70,000 lbs down the road w 400hp Cummins and a 3000 Allison.

When you do get one, overkill the axle capacities, #1 problem towing a trailer, also, equalizer hitch and sway control. Not absolutely necessary but will sure make driving a lot easier. You generally get the quality you pay for.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Look at your drivers door sill for the tire loading sticker. It will tell you what your weight limits are for the total vehicle,(GVWR), and for each axle as well as cargo carrying capacity. That last one will say "cargo and occupants to not exceed xxx pounds". That is what you can carry as far as passengers, fuel, cargo and trailer tongue weight and will be the limiting factor in how big a trailer your rig can tow. Figure 15% of a trailers Gross weight,(not dry weight), for tongue weight and add 100 pounds for the hitch and your passegers and see if there is any cargo capacity left over. Generally you would like to see 15 or 20% of your cargo rating left for a safety cushion.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #5

I have no idea what your GMC can tow, but I saw some Lance trailers the other day that looked interesting.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #6

Used to tow with my wife's buick rainier 5.3 v8. So same car as yours. We towed a 25ft Keystone zeppelin 242 weighing in at roughly 5200 lbs loaded. That is the biggest I would go. It's not that the power wasn't there it was the short wheelbase. Get a good weight distribution hitch like equalizer 4pt or Reese dual cam and you will be very happy. Book said I belive 7200lb max tow with 3.73 and 7600lbs with 4.10 rear end. The air ride suspension did make the weight distribution a little challenging at first but it towed great. Maintained 65mph in OD and we got between 10-11mpg. Message me if you need more help
Old 03-11-2015, 08:53 AM   #7

Max. Trailer wt is 5900, GCWR is 11,000. Still interested in hearing educated opinions of good quality travel trailers.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
Max. Trailer wt is 5900, GCWR is 11,000. Still interested in hearing educated opinions of good quality travel trailers.
Most folks around here that have the newer Winnebago Towables (aka Sunnybrook) have been very happy. I've only read of a handful of minor issues and ours has been great.
They have several models that will be in your size/weight range.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #9

We like our Jayco White Hawk very much. One of the smaller models would probably be a good choice.
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
Outdoors RV Manufacturing
Old 03-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
I've owned a Cruiser RV Shadow Cruiser and a Forest River Surveyor. Both have actually been relatively trouble-free rigs, so far. My daughter and son-in-law still have the Shadow Cruiser and it's still going strong... I agree with the above comment about the Lance units. They make really good truck campers and have for many years. No reason to believe their TTs are not of the same quality. My next TT will be a Reflection by Grand Design, but I have the truck capacity to pull one of their 2 models, and apparently, you don't. They're up in the 10 - 11,000# range. Best of luck...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:27 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your max cargo weight is 1200 pounds and you must include passengers and the weight of the hitch in that number as well as anything else you put in the vehicle. Travel trailers need about 12% of their weight on the tongue so that will be about 700 pounds right off the bat for a 6000 pound trailer. Figure 100 pounds for a WD hitch brings you to 800 so you have room for about 400 pounds of people and gear before you hit the max.

Most vehicles don't handle all that great when loaded to maximum and you have a shorter wheelbase as well which is a bit less stable but it should be a decent performer if you keep the weight under 6000 gross. I would look for a trailer with a dry weight around 4000 pounds to leave room for passengers, cargo and a safety cushion. The good news is there are tons of trailers in that range so you should have plenty of options.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #13

We pull a 26 ft Passport with our 08 Yukon Denali 6.2 liter - handles it no problem - although Yukon is more SUV than the Envoy.

Tags
tow