Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #1

What is important to you?

I have a few questions that I would be grateful if you could answer...

With regards to travel trailers--

*What features do you absolutely need to have?
*What features are nice to have?
*What features do you think are a waste?
*Outside of floor plan, what are your biggest considerations when looking at a new camper?
*What recommendations would you make regarding features, floor plan, construction, options, etc. ?

Any and all answer would be great!

Thank you!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to IRV2. I'm sure you will get some good advice here. Good luck with your decision.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #3

Overall fit and feel is important. Gotta love the feeling when you walk in.
A good a/c ducted system with a digital t- stat.
A dsi hot water heater with both gas and electric.
Two propane tanks
Good quality built cabinets( no particle board for me)
Electric tongue jack ( must have)
A good entertainment system
Good tires
Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #4

I look for a trailer that I can tow. From there I look for things it might not have.

Touch and feel
Cabinets open nice
Draws open and close smooth
Black tank flush
Eqi-flex or equivalent suspension
Scare lights
Foot flush toliet
Large fresh water, gray and black tank.
Electric tongue jack
Enclosed underbelly
Make sure you know where the trailer fits in the builders line-up. Is it top bottom model, middle or top model.
Understand the srandard features and options and the cost difference.
Make sure I can get 25-30% off MSRP.

Look at a lot of trailers. Then you will eventually notice better trailers from not so good trailers. Read the brochures and understand all the line items they list as advantages of buying their trailer.

Good luck
Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum, I hope you find this helpful - I am writing from my experience as a small trailer owner:

*What features do you absolutely need to have? A bed that I can easily access. I had been set on a walk-around queen, but our dinette-as-a-bed is long enough at 80" that I can get into (onto?) the side by the wall without much difficulty

*What features are nice to have?
A headboard. I don't even have one on my bed at home. Handy to set up a small fan or a small heater to blow over the bed and not have to crank up the big heater or the AC. I was somewhat surprised that most small trailers do not have one as it seems to function as a place for the water heater on the underside.
Top mount AC, mainly because it can distribute air fore and aft
Window over the tongue (ours is a rear bath)

*What features do you think are a waste? I wish the dinette had just been eliminated as a dinette/bed option and just been a bed. We are fine with TV trays in front of the sofa, and the bed could have been framed up in a more sturdy fashion.

*Outside of floor plan, what are your biggest considerations when looking at a new camper? Insulation

*What recommendations would you make regarding features, floor plan, construction, options, etc. ? We really like our rig, but we know it needs more kid gloves treatment than our house. Take a look at how things are put together such as staples instead of nails or screws.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wife and I have to be able to sit on the throne and not have to wash our face at the same time. Also a throne that is not so high that her feet don't touch. Silly but go inside the bathroom and close the door. Have a seat and see if you are comfortable.

Need room to get around the bed so we don't crawl over each other in the night.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1
Wife and I have to be able to sit on the throne and not have to wash our face at the same time. Also a throne that is not so high that her feet don't touch. Silly but go inside the bathroom and close the door. Have a seat and see if you are comfortable.

Need room to get around the bed so we don't crawl over each other in the night.
True dat. We have a bath and a 1/2 with the full bath in the rear. Some think the 1/2 bath is a waste of space. For our floor plan it eliminates need to slink around or crawl over bed when underway. The bedroom slide makes it tough but not impossible to get to the back when pulled in. Also let's us close off the bedroom when we have guests and have use of the 1/2 bath. And of course the obvious - two can thrown at the same time. Even without the 1/2 - the rear bath is nice and roomy. Never crowded.

On Edit: May not apply as we have a motorhome. Didn't see that I was in the other world. iPhone and old age.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've had several trailers in the past.

Our biggest problem was a bed we had to crawl over each other to get out.

The other problem I had was a sewer connection you couldn't get to if the slide was out.

Floor plan.....better do what the wife suggests. Trust me.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
comfortable mattress.....We are getting rid of our OE mattress for an after market memory foam mattress
Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #10

Wife loves sink outside bathroom, wants more counterspace to cook, prepare, etc. She wants walk around bed. We added a mattress topper for comfort. I MUST have an elec/gas hot water heater. Slide out would be nice. I removed one dinette seat and put in a swivel relciner so I can stretch my old legs out! Ducted heater w/o that loud fan sound would be great.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #11

The must for us was a floor plan that really worked and the funny thing is we ended up buying one that was totally different than I had thought we wanted. A deal killer for me was not having most of the the door side storage bays useable. The unit we bought has the propane, the generator, electrical and water/sewer all on the driver side. This works for us.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We drug a 5er with one big slide for 12 years, and got spoiled. When we downsized to a TT, Darling wife had some demands:

1: Bed must be a queen-size walk-around on the foot and on both sides of the bed.

2. Cheap stock mattress must be replaceable with a name-brand EuroTop firm interspring mattress with memory foam in the Euro layer. Layout must be such that the stiff mattress can go in the door and into the bedroom without major surgery to the interior of the RV.

3. Bathroom must have a separate tub/shower stall so you don't have to sit on the pottie to take a bath. (Yes, way back when we had a mini-motorhome that had that arrangement in the bathroom. Never again.)

4. At least one large closet. Those dinky little wardrobes don't count.

5. GVWR less than 6,000 pounds.

Here's what we found: Skyline Nomad Joey Select model 196, GVWR 5,600.

To save money, we chose a regular 60"x80" queen size Serta EuroTop replacement mattress instead of a 60"x74" "short queen" size it came with. The longer mattress fits, but it's a tight squeeze to walk between the foot of the mattress and the kitchen cabinet. But the mattress is almost as good as the similar mattress we have at home. We stayed in the Joey three nights last week, and probably another three or four nights next week. Sleeps really good.

About perfect for two old folks with two dogs. A bit crowded when the Border Collie wants to be up and around at the same time as one of the folks, but she's learning fast how to share the limited space in the RV with us. The Chihuahua just stays on the bed or dinette, out of the way.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
A real queen bed not a short queen! 80 inches length. A GOOD mattress and/or topper. Standard ones are usually way too thin and you can feel right through them to the boards underneath.

Dinette on right side so I can see our space not the neighbors.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #14

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
And on my wish list for TT's, electronic levelers. I know they add weight and expense but I wish they were standard features.

We have a C but also use a friends TT when we need to have a car.