Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
What is "satellite prep"?

If we were to get a sat. dish that sits on the ground, should we have ordered the prep option or can it be added easily? What exactly is included in the prep? Don't know anything about installing sat. TV in an RV. Have it at home but maybe that's different? Do you need space somewhere for a sat. receiver?

Spent a week in a cg recently that had no cable or air TV. I never realized how much we have been accustomed (addicted?) to TV in the evenings. We ended up playing card games at the clubhouse instead. Never done that before and it was actually fun.

Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS & Ford F250 supercab V10 4x4 LB
Langley, B.C.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
get a tailgater or kingdome we had the reg. dish and some times it would take 1 to 2 hrs. to set up. now with a tailgater just set it outside turn on the receiver and your watching tv in min. a lot easier

Time is life! money is just a tool. how much of your life is a tool worth?

Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #3

Fun, at an RV, park ?
What a novel concept.
Seriously ; the prep package would not help with a carry out. Usually just wiring and coax run to the area where a roof top would be installed, so the installer would not have to , fish wiring through the roof cavity.
A carry out should just hook to your park cable hook up, to supply signal into the RV.
Power for the system would be specific to the brand of carry out.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #4

Can't see putting a dish on the roof so if that's all the prep. package is good for, then it's not an issue to not have it. Seems like it's better to have the dish sitting on the ground so you can move it around to clear trees and obstacles. So you'll need a coax inlet on the exterior but what happens with the typical amplifier at the TV with coax cables into it? You'd simply reroute the coax out to the sat. receiver?

I guess there has to be a separate stand alone satellite receiver for RV satellite? Need somewhere to mount it then. With our home setup, we have an HDMI cable to the TV. In an RV, do you end up with an HDMI or component cables? Trying to picture how we would set this up in our TT. What if you have two TVs?

With cable TV and air TV, we have to do a setup scan when we want to see what's available on both. It's a real pain and slooow. With satellite TV added to that, does that complicate switching between them or in do you just end up staying with the satellite signal because of the large amount of channels?
Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS & Ford F250 supercab V10 4x4 LB
Langley, B.C.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
You'd get the "prep" so that you can install this: Winegard RoadTrip MiniMax Automatic Stationary Satellite TV Antenna - White - Winegard RT8000S - Satellite Antennas - Camping World

This is a "dome" satellite, you don't actually put a house dish on top of your RV. The coax goes into the satellite receiver box and then HDMI from box to TV.
Daryl_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
And the dome satellites are automatic. You just flip a switch and it locates the satellite automatically.
Daryl_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by Daryl_A View Post
This is a "dome" satellite, you don't actually put a house dish on top of your RV.
Actually, you CAN put the equivalent of a home style dish on an RV, and you get some advantages over a dome.

Originally Posted by Daryl_A View Post
And the dome satellites are automatic. You just flip a switch and it locates the satellite automatically.
Some "home style dish" antennas are also fully automatic, for example the Winegard Trav'ler series. RV Antenna - Winegard Roof Mounted RV Satellite Antennas

There are many options for satellite in an RV. The biggest range of choices revolve around the antenna (aka "dish")

The first choice is between domes and dishes. A dish looks very similar to what is mounted on a house. Once set up and aimed, it stays in one position. If you need to access several satellites, it contains several LNBs (or "eyes") and electrically switches between them instantaneously. You can connect several receivers to a dish, and can simultaneously watch any channel on any receiver.

A dome is generally smaller, and also has a dish that moves inside the dome. With a dime, the actual dish is smaller than a regular style dish, which can make it more susceptible to rain fade (loss of signal during severe weather) especially if the dome is covered in water drops. The dish in a dome can only see one satellite at a time, and if you change to a channel that's on a different satellite it has to physically move the dish and aim at the new satellite, which can take some time (seconds to tens of seconds.) While many domes have outputs for several receivers, they can only see one satellite at a time, so if a second receiver wants to watch a signal that's on a different satellite than the one being watched by the main receiver, the second receiver is out of luck. The same situation applies to the second tuner of a dual tuner DVR receiver. One advantage of a dome is that some of the roof-mounted automatic domes can track a satellite while the RV is in motion.

The next decision is manual or automatic. Domes are usually automatic where you push a button and they automatically find the satellite(s), although they can also be manual where you use a remote control to manually find the satellite(s). Dishes can also be manual, either set up on the ground on a stand, or using manual cranks on a folding roof top dish, or they can be a fully automatic roof top dish (like the Winegard Trav'ler.)

The final decision is portable or roof mounted. Portable requires setting up before use, and require taking down and storing when breaking camp. Roof mounted is more convenient, especially if it's fully automatic, but you can have problems when you are parked under trees, as that will block the signal. A portable dish can be moved around to find a clear patch of sky. Many people with roof mounted domes or dishes still carry a portable dish or dome for when they are under trees. Portable units can be manual (like a home style dish) or portable like a Tailgater or CarryOut dome.

So there are various combinations of the above: Portable manual dishes, roof mount manual dishes, fully automatic rooftop dishes, portable manual domes, portable automatic domes, roof mount automatic domes.

Part of the decision process depends on the type of service you have: DirecTV, Dish Network, Bell ExpressVu, etc. Also, whether you want HD or just standard definition. For example, DirecTV standard definition needs only one satellite, while HD takes a second satellite. Dish Network needs two satellites for standard definition, and three for high definition. If you need more than one satellite, then domes have some limitations because of the need to change positions when changing channels. Domes can be problematic with multiple satellites. Furthermore, if you want DirecTV high definition service, then any dome is out of the picture, since there are no domes that will get DirecTV HD. Domes can get HD with Dish Network. However, if you want to get satellite service while in motion, then only a roof mounted dome will allow that.

Now, once you've decided on an antenna (dome or dish) you will need a receiver or DVR (or multiple receivers.) They will need to be connected to the dish using a quality coax cable. You may be able to use an existing cable TV inlet, but you will have to bypass any amplifiers or splitters, and you may not have a sufficient quality cable. You need a direct run of satellite quality cable directly to the receiver (no amplifiers or splitters.) You will then need to have someplace to put the receiver.

Finally, you need to connect the receiver to the TV. How you do this will depend on what your TV can support, and what your receiver supports. The connection can be HDMI, component video, composite video, S-video, or RF coax. If you have additional TVs, you will need to figure out how to get the signal to that TV, or add another receiver (at which point you will need to get the signal from the dish/dome to the receiver.)

My rig came from the factory with an in-motion dome on the roof. I figured I was home free to get Dish Network HD on my DVR. After a year of frustration and hassles, and off-again on-again poor performance, I gave up on it. So I started using a portable dish which worked just as well as at home, other than it became tedious to set it up and store it each time. I got pretty good at it, but it's still tedious. I finally got a Winegard Trav'ler SK-1000 roof mounted portable dish. This is pure heaven: push a button, and it does it all by itself. Then, it instantly changes channels, and there are no limitations with the DVR: either tuner can watch any channel without worrying about whether the channels are on the same satellite. However, sometimes I'm under trees, so I still keep the portable dish around for those situations.

For a receiver, I have a dual-tuner dual-output DVR. It's mounted up front on a shelf I mounted by the TV. The first TV output is connected with component video cables to the HD front TV. The second TV output uses the existing RF cable connections to send an SD signal to the bedroom TV. The front and rear TV outputs have separate controls, so both TVs can be watching different channels or watching different (or the same) recordings.

It all works very well for me, but it took me a few years of trial and error to get it all working smoothly. It was a learning experience.

So, there are some questions you need to answer and decisions to make:
  • What satellite company do you want to use?
  • Standard definition (SD) or high definition (HD)?
  • Roof mounted or portable (or both)?
  • Manual or fully automatic?
  • In-motion or stationary only?
  • Single tuner receiver, or dual tuner DVR, or multiple receivers?

Based on these answers, you can start to narrow down your options. Note that none of the questions directly ask dome or dish - that will come out of the answers to the other questions.
Adam and Sue, and a pack of little furballs
2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ Limited Edition - Cummins ISL 400
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad - USGear Unified Tow Brake, Roadmaster Blackhawk II Tow bar, Blue Ox baseplate
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sat Prep means one or two of 3 things...

Usually, it means there is a coax line (Often RG-59 which one should not use for sat but for a SHORT run it's ok) from a spot on the roof to a cabinet near the main TV.

USUALLY if this is the case there is also a 12 volt line to the same spot on the roof.

IT ****MIGHT***** also mean there is a RG-6 (Hopefully) cable from a spot near the park cable inlet jack to the aforementioned compartment near the TV.. I have seen this on some trailers..... But not many.

The roof cable is good for a dome or a roof mounted dish type antenna... However those do not work well if parked under the evil signal eating tree.. So what do you do then?

I recommend a low cost A/B switch in the LNB LINE.. These switches have 3 connections, A, B and "Common" (The one that is switched between the other two)

A goes to the Roof up A-bove
B to a ground Block or Bulkhead (Through wall) Down B-elow

C, to the reCeiver LNB in jack.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Check out this site
TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod

psrujak is offline   Reply With Quote