Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What is your TT? Are you full time?

We are looking at a Travel trailer for full time living, and are curious what others on the form have TT wise.

My wife and I live FT in our 35ft DP motorhome.

We picked a MH and the specific one we did based on my work schedule, 20,000 miles a year coast to coast and wintering in Snow country. We have learned a ton over the past 1.5 years, 35000 miles, 39 states.

Now we have stopped. and are planning on staying in one place longer. Maybe move 2 or 3 times a year possibly 3000 miles. NO MORE 15F with lots of Snow!

We are thinking a newer 30 foot TT with 2 or 3 slides and tow behind a 3/4 4x4 Suburban or Truck. currently liking Keystone Cougar or Montana.

If anyone have any thoughts or advice to share we would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike
MJD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,

I am FTing it in an Onyx (R-Vision) 25RB and have been for about two years. Using it for work going from project to project. Nice little trailer with a single slide. A larger rig would be very nice and I might seriously consider a larger liteweight. A 30 ft with 2 slides would be very nice.

John
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #3

We are now full timing in a coachmen 320bhds. It has 3 slides and a bunk house. We have the bunkhouse for our 20mo old daughter who loves jumping around back there. If we didn't have her I actually think it would make a great place to set up a desk and washer/dryer hookups. It has 50amp service so there would be no problems there. There is a kitchen slide that allows for an island kitchen that my wife loves and an outdoor kitchen which is awesome for me. Plenty of storage throughout and I pull it with a 3/4 ton Yukon xl with the 8.1 vortec no problems
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
I'm not full timing, but will be 3 months at a time in less than 2 years. I have been looking and have found Reflection TTs made by Grand Design. They seem to be head and shoulders above the other manufacturers, and I will probably trade up next year. I have joined their owner's group and so far I've not seen a negative comment about one of their rigs... They only make 2 floor plans in travel trailers. I can't make up my mind whether to buy the bunk-house model or the nicer rear-living model... with a closet in front... and a king-size bed...

You might want to take a look... Enjoy...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #5

We have a 2011 Cougar 321RES and FT'ing in it would be possible, but short on storage space but the big kicker(s) is Keystone's quality and their warranty work. I am not at all impressed and if I could do it again, I'd look at the Arctic Fox 30U.
dgrant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:02 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I really appreciate everyone's input.

After looking at several in and out of our price range we are liking the Forest River Vibe 268RKS.

Has anyone had any experience with Forest River

They all seem to be short on storage especially compared to a DP. I have been wanting to downsize more anyway.

Mike and Elisabeth
MJD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I'm not full timing, but will be 3 months at a time in less than 2 years. I have been looking and have found Reflection TTs made by Grand Design. They seem to be head and shoulders above the other manufacturers, and I will probably trade up next year. I have joined their owner's group and so far I've not seen a negative comment about one of their rigs... They only make 2 floor plans in travel trailers. I can't make up my mind whether to buy the bunk-house model or the nicer rear-living model... with a closet in front... and a king-size bed...

You might want to take a look... Enjoy...

I do like the looks of the rear living room. Very nice, and the idea of a king sized bed sounds sweet. Heavy sigh....

But, and it's a big but, the weight is way over my trucks capacity to tow. 10,000+ lbs. I need to stay around 7k or less.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #8

I thought about snow birding in a TT. A TT I really liked was the AirStream like Keystone Vantage 29RL. I really like that unit.

Then there are expensive AirStream trailers that were too much trouble to keep them trouble free. Too many rivits that could leak in time. But it would be cool to hob nob with other clickish owners.

The Keystone Vantage TT's were built in 2012 and 2013 then stopped production because the price point was too high for a fiberglass TT.

Good luck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:55 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As snowbirds, we spend over 4 months a year in our trailer. So we wanted something big enough to be comfortable, solid, and "4-season".

Ended up with an Outdoors RV Timber Ridge with dual-pane windows, but also looked at Artic Fox, Nash and other Northwood products. As we were interested in off-road capabilities, we didn't go for Lance or Airstream although they both seemed quality. Open Range trailers also look good but were bigger than we wanted. IIRC there are other makers of large luxury trailers out there as well.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
We have full timed in our 2006 Outback 27RSDS.

Still in it. Still love it. It has served us well.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I thought about snow birding in a TT. A TT I really liked was the AirStream like Keystone Vantage 29RL. I really like that unit.

Then there are expensive AirStream trailers that were too much trouble to keep them trouble free. Too many rivits that could leak in time. But it would be cool to hob nob with other clickish owners.

The Keystone Vantage TT's were built in 2012 and 2013 then stopped production because the price point was too high for a fiberglass TT.

Good luck.
I inherited my first "trailer" back in the early '70s. It was my fathers' '63 32' Airstream. I full timed in it in Spokane, Wa and Salt Lake for two years. Surprisingly durable, never leaked. The riveting in Airstreams is superb. Those are not pop rivets. They are aircraft quality, hamered aluminum. The seams are tight and should last the life of the aluminum. I've flown airplanes will much less craftsmanship.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:30 PM   #12

TT is Prowler

I am searching for ideas and suggestions. My husband and I have moved our 26' Prowler to a RV park that is very close to my work.
My question is "will we or should we put heating pads on our black, gray and fresh water holding tanks? We are living full time in our Prowler and our winters can get a little cold. We will "skirt" it. Undecided on material. But, will we still have to put the heaters on the tanks.
Is the vinyl skirting ok to use for a Eastern Washington winter?
TIA
Carol
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:55 PM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
I still haven't traded, and I'm now looking favorably on the Winnebago Ultra Lite trailers. There are more floor plans and from what I understand, their quality is good. They have an upgraded insulation package, if I remember right. Jayco Eagle TTs are nice and high on our list, too.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #14

We have a 31' RL Keystone Laredo TT (dry weight 7100 lbs), rear living room, lots of storage has the cold arctic package & insulated floors. We snowbird it for 2-3 months at a time. Has been a good unit with no problems. Pulling it with a 1/2 ton 2014 4x4 Silverado. Good luck in your search.
runsdeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time