Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #1

What kind of discount from list on a TT?

In MH's the theory is you got a great discount if you for 30%. What is a reasonable discount on a TT in your honest opinion?

Retail will be about 22-24k. Hope to pull the trigger tomorrow!
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, if you are ready to sign on the line with a 30% off MSRP, make the offer when you find the one you want and be ready to walk if they say NO. Just beware they might do all they can to get the price back up even if they say yes with added fees and stuff. If you are happy with the price it doesn't matter how much lower they might have gone.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:08 PM   #3

You're always there to help. Thanks a ton. I'll let you know tomorrow after the DW gives stamp of approval!
Old 08-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #4

Documentation fees, PDI fees etc. can add up real quick and it's all pure profit for the dealer. And don't pay a bunch for a 'starter kit'. The only thing in there that is worth having is the water hose and the bucket it comes in. Get pre-approved for your financing at your credit union or bank. Then you'll have something to compare their financing offer to.
Buyer beware. As soon as they have your money, they are done with you.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
MSRP is a magic number created by a mystical group of people who must be on drugs. If you can get a 30% discount the MSRP is misleading and borderline illegal IMO.

If you get the floor plan you want at a price you are comfortable with you have got a good deal. The right floor plan and a good dealer are priceless.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:28 PM   #6

Good advice but never having purchased a TT before I'm looking for guidance when the dealer says the MSRP is X. Have a really good idea with cars with TrueCar and BlueBook. With MH's with experience and forums but this subject doesn't seem to be discussed as much with TT's. So, finding the good dealer and the good floor plan what would also make it a good deal for those of us that also value that.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Search RV trader for price and any other net price. You might even try getting the MSRP from the TT Mfg. Might even try a post here to see what others have paid on the unit. Do not be in a hurry, they ain't going anywhere.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #8

First, find the floor plan you like best. MSRP will vary with the same model/floor plan based on any options (13,500btu AC vs 15,000but AC, electric tongue jack vs manual, different size frig, Television included, etc)
Generally you can start negotiation at 70% of MSRP. As suggested, have any credit needs lined up before you start shopping so you can see if they actually have a deal. By all means check out the service department and meet the service manager if possible to see how they handle warranty issues. Find out what is included in the purchase like brake controller if needed, WD hitch, starter kit (free), new battery(s), filled propane tanks. No charge for PDI, free nights stay somewhere near the dealer to give it a mini shakedown. Get a good PDI list from somewhere on the web and if your memory is poor (like mine) you may want to record it. Understand how to winterize and dewinterize, operate the frig and how to drain the water heater and where the electric is located. Any other questions don't be afraid to ask the dealer or on any of the various forums. One last thing, make sure your tow vehicle can handle the TT. The salesman will always say, "no problem", do your own analysis.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:29 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Bought a Jayco 23RBM this week. Had all the items I wanted, paid 75% of MSRP. Tried for more and got a little money to spend in their store.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
Good advice but never having purchased a TT before I'm looking for guidance when the dealer says the MSRP is X. Have a really good idea with cars with TrueCar and BlueBook. With MH's with experience and forums but this subject doesn't seem to be discussed as much with TT's. So, finding the good dealer and the good floor plan what would also make it a good deal for those of us that also value that.
I would contact several dealers in the area and ask them for an out the door price. You may have to travel a ways but that is what RV'ing is all about. Once you have a price range in hand for the unit you are interested in you will have a reasonable idea if you are getting a good price or not.

One thing I tell a dealer is I will pay a good price for a good unit and I expect good service.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #11

The research and a really good dealer paid off. Should be here in 5-8 weeks and couldn't be happier or more satisfied. Smaller local dealer that is very friendly and no pressure/stress. Great experience and willing to recommend in Florida's Treasure Coast.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Congratulations on the new unit. The wait will seem interminable but when it gets here your smiles will be worth the wait.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:17 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So now you have 5-8 weeks to research that unit to see what other owners have had issues with. Start building the PDI list. Go online and pre-read all the instructions for everything in the TT. Fun days ahead.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:40 AM   #14

Thanks for the advice. I have already downloaded several PDI lists and will be putting them into one. Have several lists from when the motorhome that I think I can adopt as well.

I have researched just about every video on YouTube regarding this unit. I do need to start searching on this forum to see what other owners of this unit have had problems with and prepare.

We are so, so, so happy. It's a 2017 Forest River Rockwood Mini-lite 1905 FD with Sapphire Package, G group, ladder, 13500, grill, TV, wood-look floor, Maple cabinets, Winston interior, electric front jack, electric awning, CO detector, Max-aire, water purifier, E2 800 equal-I-zer and brake controller. Best of all, at a price we wanted from a local, family owned business that's been here for 26 years with really nice people.