Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #15

New Horizons Owners Club
There are Walmarts in Dawson Creed and at Whitehorse. Be sure and shop there. Their prices are high for Walmart but much lower than side of the road stores where high prices can be breath taking. The next Walmart after Whitehorse is either Fairbanks or Anchorage. Hope everything goes well for you.

If we were younger we would spend a full year in Alaska. It is the most beautiful place on earth.

chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WHat kind of food to pack.. Well,,, I like Mexician myself, Even if I'm German, but then I like German and Itilian and Greek and a bunch of others.

My wife, on the other hand, won't eat Mexician.

Now; What am I trying to say here?

Pack what you like, Same as you would if you were packing the fridge at home.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgold View Post
I will be heading out next week on a 4000+ mile, 2-week road-trip/move from Texas to Alaska with my family of 6 and a 25' TT with no slides. The TT is very small and has very little storage space in kitchen area.
This is a very small rig for 6 people. I'm assuming 2 adults and 4 kids. You can always store non-perishables in the tow vehicle (TV) if there's room. Watch your weight. TVs and RVs can only carry so much weight safely. You may not want to carry 14 days worth of food with you. That's a lot of food and weight and space for 6 people. You can always find a WalMart or chain grocery store for more food partway through your trip.

I would pack lightweight foods like the better cereals and dry soups like Ramon (sp?) noodles. Pack the freezer with easy to grill burgers and franks, even pork chops. In inside storage space you can pack rice and spuds (cheap and filling). I'm sure you have a propane stove to cook such foods. I would save freezer space for meat and buy canned veggies. Anything already prepared, just-heat-and-eat is going to be expensive. You have to weigh cost v. convenience.

Quote:
I'm looking for suggestions from veteran RVers for what types of food we should pack and any tips on storage. The DW wants to keep meals quick, easy, and simple so we can focus on all the fun we plan to have.
Burgers, franks and cans of beans would work if you can eat that kind of food for 2 weeks.

Quote:
We bought the TT specifically for this move to save $$ on hotels and also to turn it into a sort of adventure for the whole family. We've only actually camped in it for 1 night right after we bought so have no real experience in TTs.
You're going to learn quickly. Make sure you know where you're going to stay at night also, and if you plan to boondock, where you're going to dump your gray and black water. With 6 people those tanks will fill quickly. And with 6 people, some CGs will charge extra.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also check the rules for bringing food across the borders, especially fresh produce & meats.
Haven't gone into Canada for a few years but can remember sitting at the crossing and eating a couple of bags of apples & oranges my mother just bought in the US because they were cheaper. Thank goodness she only did it once.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
It's two AM(here).

Ever eat sausage?
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #20

For breakfast I made homemade biscuits and froze them (you could buy them frozen) and then all you need to do is heat them up. You can get some really nice gravy from sav a lot or IGA even Walmart Ina a mix called peppered gravy mix that all you need to add is water. Its easier than homemade and doesnt require milk (speaking of milk, buy the powdered for cooking ) It's a 10 min breakfast cheap and goes a long way. (I'm cooking for 12). I would also suggest Egg beaters as opposed to eggs. Its much easier to pack and easier to just pour out some eggs to scramble instead of cracking them all . They travel better. And my clan of twelve eats 2 1/2 dozen for breakfast so a carton of egg beaters scrambled up is much easier and even sometimes cheaper! Also less calories and they taste great! Name brand egg beaters is way better than generic trust me! Also take a crockpot and cook some beans or soup while you sleep for a whole days worth of munching. Beans are the easiest. Take plenty of canned foods (raviolis and soups and canned meats). And potatoes. Our families favorite is baked potatoes on the coals. Just wrap in foil and set on hot coals for about an hour. Add butter and sour cream and viola! Lunch! We make sure to pack freezer with bags of chicken tenderloins and hamburger patties and fish filets. We also pack squash and other veggies and make veggie pouches out of foil and cook on open fire. It's easier than most think. Just chunk them up in some foil with some butter and they steam perfectly! Or you could make cooler corn just fill a cooler with shucked ears of corn and pour a pot of boiling water on top and shut lid the corn will be perfectly steamed in about an hour or less and will stay nice and warm a long time! We love this! Can be made fireside! Also if you have kids do NOT forget peanut butter. It's a must lol! Don't forget your cooking basics. Spices, flour, oil, sugar, and the right tools to cook them in and with. Make pizza quick which is basically toast with pizza sauce and cheese melted on top its a huge hit we like to use sliced french bread they sell in the bakery for a dollar each at walmart How about spaghetti? That's cheap too and quick to fix and can easily be stored for the trip You'll figure it out I'm sure! Happy camping!
MamaKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One work of advice, once you hit the Al-Can, drive a bit slower and find an old piece of carpet to cover the lower front of the trailer to protect it from chips and stones.

Have fun.

Ken
Old 06-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #22

I realy hope you haven't left yet.
Go to , Castanet.net and view " Northern floods cause hardship "
The Alaska Highway is a real mess right now , and judging by the pictures it's going to take a while to clean up.
Weather network has the area in northern BC under a heavy rainfall warning, and all streams and rivers in the area have , high flow alerts.
Being the major road in the area it will get all the attention it needs; but the weather will have to co-operate for crews to get the repairs done .
Old 06-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426
I realy hope you haven't left yet.
Go to , Castanet.net and view " Northern floods cause hardship "
The Alaska Highway is a real mess right now , and judging by the pictures it's going to take a while to clean up.
Weather network has the area in northern BC under a heavy rainfall warning, and all streams and rivers in the area have , high flow alerts.
Being the major road in the area it will get all the attention it needs; but the weather will have to co-operate for crews to get the repairs done .
Unfortunately I had to leave already. Being active duty Air Force I have some pretty strict time constraints for the trip. I tried booking a spot on the Ferry on the AMH to avoid the ALCAN altogether but the ferry was booked solid for the dates I needed. I guess I'll have to expect the worst and hope for the best on the ALCAN. I should hit that area by the end of this week.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #24

JGold, the area you're heading through, Alberta, BC and Yukon , have had the coldest and wetest June on record,so far, and no real improvement in sight. STAY SAFE.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #25

Odd, never given it much thought,there is always a supermarket. But backpacking or hunting,two weeks of meal planning without refridgeration.

Good luck on the road. It's a good highway now. In the Peace country of Nothern BC,unless we have a gravel road,dirt roads get snotty when it rains.It's either chain up all fours or wait untill it dries.That was what the Alaska Highway was like in the early days
Old 06-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkauffman101 View Post
i'm not a big fan of bowels. No matter what i do they just have a smell i just can't seem to think about eating them.
hahaha ....
Old 06-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
For canned foods, here's a save-on-potwashing tip:

Any canned food can be heated by completely immersing the unopened can in very hot water for a few minutes. Cans won't burst as long as they're completely covered with water- keep a close eye while on burner to make sure they stay that way.

I keep canning jar tongs in my trailer for lifting the cans out, and for holding cans steady while opening with an ordinary can opener.

Remove labels before heating, and you'll have clean hot water for washing up later.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Echoing the comments about the conditions. BC is in a real mess in several generally southern areas due to rainfalls and flooding. Can't speak for Alberta so much but I would expect they are in much better shape right now than BC Definitely would game plan going up to Edmonton and then heading North West from there. Manitoba typically has flooding issues too so if you are going to go through that province, it would be wise to check that as well.