Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #1

What kind of food to pack?

I will be heading out next week on a 4000+ mile, 2-week road-trip/move from Texas to Alaska with my family of 6 and a 25' TT with no slides. The TT is very small and has very little storage space in kitchen area. I'm looking for suggestions from veteran RVers for what types of food we should pack and any tips on storage. The DW wants to keep meals quick, easy, and simple so we can focus on all the fun we plan to have.

We bought the TT specifically for this move to save $$ on hotels and also to turn it into a sort of adventure for the whole family. We've only actually camped in it for 1 night right after we bought so have no real experience in TTs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #2

Quick and easy would be eating out....I'd take things that are already made that just needs heated or dumped out of a can and heated. They have a lot of meals you just peel and heat. Or potatoe and macaroni or pasta salad...hotdogs, hamburgers. All depends how much frig room you have or even take a cooler with food.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #3

Bad news is I can't realy help with food ideas for 6 people in a TT.
Good news is that the distance between stores isn't too bad until your north of Fort St. John B.C. That should be about 7/8 days into your trip so you should have time to figure it out.
JMHO. 2 weeks isn't enough time & pack lots of bug repelant.
Have a safe trip.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #4

Sorry, miss-read your post; the word move; I thought you were trying to go Texas to Alaska and back in 2 weeks
Old 06-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Sorry, miss-read your post; the word move; I thought you were trying to go Texas to Alaska and back in 2 weeks
Yep, I had to go back and re-read it to catch that too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #6

We are en-route to Alaska now. We are carrying as much non-perishables as is practical (for us about 200#)to save on food expenditures. The closer one gets to Yukon Territory the costs for food rises accordingly. Most everything is open the can/package and heat, or easy/quick to prepare.
Of course the exteme is, there are the back-packers dehydrated meals in a bag, they are light weight, and easy to prepare (add water and heat). The downside is they are about $7-$8 per meal.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426
Yup...it's a 1-way trip for now. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN
We are en-route to Alaska now. We are carrying as much non-perishables as is practical (for us about 200#)to save on food expenditures. The closer one gets to Yukon Territory the costs for food rises accordingly. Most everything is open the can/package and heat, or easy/quick to prepare.
Of course the exteme is, there are the back-packers dehydrated meals in a bag, they are light weight, and easy to prepare (add water and heat). The downside is they are about $7-$8 per meal.
Thanks for the info! Are you traveling the Alcan and if so, what are the road conditions like so far? Any trouble with the border crossing? Any suggestions for sights to see or places to camp?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720
Quick and easy would be eating out....I'd take things that are already made that just needs heated or dumped out of a can and heated. They have a lot of meals you just peel and heat. Or potatoe and macaroni or pasta salad...hotdogs, hamburgers. All depends how much frig room you have or even take a cooler with food.
Thanks Jimbo! We'll probably eat out some but the goal is to save as much $$ as possible on food and stuff so we can better enjoy everything else along the way. We're on a fairly tight budget so cereal, sandwiches, hamburgers, hotdogs, and other quick and easy food will probably be our main menu items but I'm hoping for some other ideas from folks that do this all the time.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:12 AM   #10

Cans of soup, chilli, stew, beans, Ramen noodles, paper plates and bowls and plastic utensils from the dollar store.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
Cans of soup, chilli, stew, beans, Ramen noodles, paper plates and bowels and plastic utensils from the dollar store.
I'm not a big fan of bowels. No matter what I do they just have a smell I just can't seem to think about eating them.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:59 AM   #12

It's two AM(here).

Ever eat sausage?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Two biggies:

1. Mac and cheese
  2. Hamburger-helper type meals (you can also just cut up some burgers that you already have as the meat, or even cut up lunch meat like turkey, etc. to add).
There are several varieties of both of these, so it wouldn't be like you're making the same thing over and over.

(Also, do you have a microwave in the TT? If so, there are several varieties of bagged rice and different veggies that steam cook in under 2 minutes. They are in the frozen food sections of most supermarkets. GREAT to add and they don't take up a lot of space. But, you'd need a microwave to prepare. Otherwise, can do regular frozen veggies in a bag and just keep frozen in a cooler and thaw via pot-on-stove to prepare).

Just some thoughts!

Enjoy your trip!!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgold View Post
Thanks for the info! Are you traveling the Alcan and if so, what are the road conditions like so far? Any trouble with the border crossing? Any suggestions for sights to see or places to camp?
We are still in the lower 48. Our Mor/Ryde suspension broke. Hopefully the RV dealer where we are will have replacement parts by June 13. There is a post in General Discussion with a link to the Yukon Highway website that states the Alaska Highway 1 is closed by several mudslides, reopening is not addressed.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote