Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What’s in Your Pass Through Storage

My wife and I were looking at everything that we carry in our trailer storage compartment when travelling. It seems like a lot. We did the remove things we haven’t used at all but it didn’t take that much out. We carry our stabilizer blocks in bags, water hoses, water fittings etc. are in a tub, sewer hose fittings etc are in another storage tub. Our electrical extension cord and BBQ hose etc are in another tub. We have our stabilizer chocks and Andersen levellers in another. A tub of replacement trailer parts, dicor sealant, silicone sealant and caulking gun pretty much round out what’s in there. It seems when I need something it is always in behind other items and I have to unload to get at it.
I’m interested to see what others have done to whether I’m missing anything or carrying too much.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #2

My Impact 303 Toy Hauler, which is a tow behind instead of a 5ver, only has one storage bay and it's up front. It's actually fairly large, but not necessarily easily accessible. The one door to access it (the generator is on the other side of the trailer so it's not actually a "pass through") is quite small. I built my own slide out tray and installed it. The slide out is within a quarter of an inch of being as wide as the door opening....for maximum storage utilization. I put my Weber 1200 grill in there (I have to remove the lid first) and of course the 12' hose that connects it to the 30 lb propane tanks. I also have my anderson levelling wedges, my 50' water hose, my water filter and pressure regulator, my wheel chocks, my 50A to 30A adapter and few various other items.....ratchet wrench for my StrapTek pullups, level, tape measure, gloves, some spare parts, etc. The slider gets the most frequently used stuff and the rest of the storage compartment gets the stuff that is only accessible from inside the trailer by lifting the hinged bed platform.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #3

Tool box with Assorted "might need Items" levelers, various handles, Coleman stove,grill misc items
Old 10-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160822_110633221.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	180455............5x5" fence post covers work.....sewer hoses and ladder
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I recently cleaned out and inventoried the stuff in my pass thru storage. I carry much of the same things as posted above and have separate bins for a lot of the items (i.e. sewer equipment, water, electrical etc).
One thing I did do before loading everything back in was to weigh each bin and all loose items so I know how much weight I am carrying in the TT. I plan on doing the same thing as I clean an inventory the other areas I store stuff in.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #6

I TRY to travel pretty light. I have traveled on motorcycles most of my life.... when you take 10 - 12 day trips on a motorcycle, you learn to be a "minimalist" (took me several years to get my wife to understand that she can't take 10 pairs of shoes).

I have had my first class A for a little over a year now... more RV storage than I have ever had in the past with 5'ers. I have most of the typical stuff in storage (chairs, patio mat, grill, collapsible ladder,...) and I am still only using about half of the potential storage.

Now, I have a friend.... I think this guy carries most of what he owns in his storage. He has to be adding close to 1000 lbs to his total weight. However, if I ever need something, he probably has it in his storage... may take him a while to dig it out, but it's probably in there
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #7

I bought a plastic tote with wheels and slide it out to get things in the back.

Sent from my SM-N920V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
stevebarbsmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRebel View Post
I TRY (took me several years to get my wife to understand that she can't take 10 pairs of shoes).
I'm still working on that. Sigh
Lou & Benecia 29 ft Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab Cummins Diesel 3:92 axle ratio
surferlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #9

A lot of stuff but we use it all:

1) Ladder
2) Folding camp chairs
3) Outdoor camp carpet
4) All the shore hookup stuff (sewer, fresh water, electric)
5) Regular chocks
6) X-chocks
7) Stabilizer pads
8) Leveling blocks
9) An axe (in case i get in one of those moods :-0 )
10) Broom & dust pan

Kidding about the axe. I only use it on wood.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #10

I have most of the above that is mentioned. Can be a tight fit! But, what should also be mentioned is what we carry in out tow vehicles: Big toolbox with almost anything I need for a repair on the road. Guessing around 200 lbs. Also, generator, 4 jerrycans full of gas, air compressor with hoses, jacks, fire extinguisher, and other things depending on where we are going (beach, mountains, family, etc). I would guess there is normally close to 400 lbs in the truck bed and 250 lbs in the pass thru.
daka320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #11

BTW, we do have an axe also!
daka320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #12

Mine has a slide out tray accessible from either side I keep outside rug and awning tie downs on right side and water hose and chocks on other. I also have a storage compt in front where 30 lb propane tanks ,one on each side and lots of storage between for tool box , grill, blocks in bag for leveling and a 4' level.
Virginia
Bandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:36 AM   #13

we carry most of the stuff mentioned..camp chairs, carpet, sewer line in a plastic bag, water hose and power cord, a few wood blocks, a bag of plastic leveling blocks, and spare tire. I carry our 10x10 folding awning in the truck bed all the way to the front because it is heavy and I carry a couple of totes with misc. gear in the truck to minimize the weight on my hitch.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
From the driver's side, I can get to all my hitch, leveling, and tire changing stuff, along with my ax and my folding trimmer saw. From the passenger side I can get to the second spare tire, the 12 X 12 Astro Turf rugs, the grill and all accessories, the armless camp chairs (I'm a picker), the grand kids folding camp chairs, the Coleman stove and a few other things... and it's not really all that crowded. The pass-through storage on this trailer is twice as big as the one on my old Surveyor. Lucky me, I have another outside storage on the aft driver's side, under the bottom bunk. I keep 3 chase-lounge type camp chairs there, along with everything I need for hooking up the trailer, and a short ladder. I can't imagine going back to removing everything to get to that one thing you think you'll never need.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage