Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #1

What size to get in TT

I like the Winnebago Minnie 26.7 but I feel its to big to tow all around the county I like the Winnegabo Minnie 21 .I like some comennts

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #2

When towing all around the country. Mountains, hot weather, cold weather, rain, wind etc. The smaller the trailer the better. Also it is easier to find places to stay.

I always thought the teadrop T@B would be a great touring shelter...but it is kinda sparse.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #3

My wife and I like our 20ft tralier. Only thing we wished was we could have got a slide out. But had to work with what the truck would haul.

End of the day we are still happy with our purchase.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypip View Post
I like the Winnebago Minnie 26.7 but I feel its to big to tow all around the county I like the Winnegabo Minnie 21 .I like some comennts
It really depends on the tow vehicle you have to tow it. With the proper TV, A 30' TT is no harder to tow than a 21' TT. A 30' is of course harder to find a site for. But just as easy to tow.

So the tow vehicle will determine what size TT you can tow.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryallan View Post
It really depends on the tow vehicle you have to tow it. With the proper TV, A 30' TT is no harder to tow than a 21' TT. A 30' is of course harder to find a site for. But just as easy to tow.

So the tow vehicle will determine what size TT you can tow.
For me, I found that our 29' trailer is a lot harder to tow compared to our old 20 footer. Not much in a straight line, but going around corners, getting into and out of parking lots, backing into sites, finding places to stop, reversing, etc. is harder. A longer wheelbase TV and longer TT will also make it that much harder to tow. With a 20'-ish trailer and regular cab truck, you can go just about anywhere. Upgrading to our supercab with extra 20" of wheelbase and 9' more in TT has sure made it more challenging for me. I even managed to get our 29 footer stuck between a tree at the front and one at the rear at a Thousand Trails cg this summer. At the time, I wished we had kept the shorter TT...

But it's all about having the right tow vehicle, WDH and hitch setup. Unless you already have the TV and are restricted by it, get the trailer you want, especially if you plan to use it a lot and travel a lot. I'd get something with at least one slide and also a sofa. You can find decent comfortable floor plans in the 22 - 26' range. If you want a TT in the 6/7K range and up, plan on getting a 3/4 ton TV, but you may not want that for long distance travelling.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #6

If you already have the tow vehicle you will be limited by its rating.
Not the weight on the door, but what its rated for in the manual.

The weight police have arrived, and doing well in places like Arz.
Fines are high & wrecks are even higher.
Just be aware of what your book says you can haul.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As others have stated, it depends on the tow vehicle. I have a Ford F350 6.7l Diesel and my 30' TT is a breeze to pull. I've been over mountain passes and long straights and twisty roads. No issues at all and I can travel up mountain passes at the speed limit without fail. As with any trailer, you have to be cautious about going down residential or rural roads in case you have to turn around. I haven't got stuck yet...fingers crossed.

I invested in rear view cameras for my truck and trailer. The camera on the back of the trailer is on whenever my driving lights are on (all the time while towing) and gives me complete confidence when changing lanes or backing the trailer. Well worth the investment. The gadgets I've added make towing the larger trailer much less stressful.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
I made the mistake of buying a small trailer first (20'). Had it about 18 months and bought a 30' trailer... I haven't been sorry. Fuel economy is the same. Towing isn't much different. When I'm in one spot for 3 or 4 nights... it's totally different! I actually have a decent bed, matress, shower, kitchen, etc... and plenty of room. I didn't but mine for towing convenience. I bought it for camping... if you can REALLY call it that...
Old 12-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
First off I would never get a tt with out a slide if your planning to spend any amount of time using it. If you noticed the longer Winnies are 8' wide. the shorter ones under 22' are 7.5' wide. That 2351 floorplan looks interesting if you don't have any kids. If you want to stay short, that 2101 with the couch in the small slide is my pick.

We have a 25' tt that I have no problem getting into just about any state park site. We have a slide that covers the couch and kitchen. On those rainy days the 3 of use have our space to relax. I usually get the couch. You have to remember there are going to be days where because of the outdoor weather you will be forced inside.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tow vehicle size limits the size and weight trailer you can tow. Our trailer is 38' long and our total rig is 55'6" long.

But the key is to get what you are comfortable with.

Ken
Old 12-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #11

When towing there really is not a difference between a 21ft and a 26ft, assuming your vehicle tow both. One thing to consider is single axle vs dual axle. A dual will tow better than a single

Our Blog: http://dtaylortravels.blogspot.com/
Dantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
We had the same thought. Our solution was to buy a TT with a rear slide. Traveling, with the slide in we are 29'. Open for use we are 34 ' long. Best of both worlds.

Also, with the rear slide in, we lose use of the living room only. The kitchen and bathroom remain fully assessable for those rest stops on the road.

Our is an Outback and we are very happy with it, but there are other brands also.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #13

I think it's just a matter of taste. I like my 20 footer .23 -24 foot is as long as I would want to go. But, that's just me.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
We had the same thought. Our solution was to buy a TT with a rear slide. Traveling, with the slide in we are 29'. Open for use we are 34 ' long. Best of both worlds.

Also, with the rear slide in, we lose use of the living room only. The kitchen and bathroom remain fully assessable for those rest stops on the road.

Our is an Outback and we are very happy with it, but there are other brands also.
After pulling two V lites I'm how pulling a 39' , Prime time LaCrosse TT and enjoy it very much.