Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #1

what to buy

looking at 2 different rigs 1st 2010 jayco 37lqs 2nd is keystone alpine 3640 anybody have any comments good or bad ? of either one we will be towing these with 08 dodge 1 ton with the cummins
TIREGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #2

Both of those units are mid level and very equal in appointments and options and will fit well on any of the one ton DRW diesel trucks. Although the Alpine is a new 2010 model it is being produced on the phased out Everest production line. With these things being equal I would put a lot of emphasis on the dealers reputation and service capabilities.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #3

thanks

thanks for the info what is considered the top of the line ? also my dodge is srw
Old 03-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREGOD View Post
thanks for the info what is considered the top of the line ? also my dodge is srw
In the Keystone product it's the Big Sky.

FastEagle

p.s. Pin weight becomes a problem with the SRW trucks because the large the fiver weight the larger the pin weight.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #5

BY top of the line what is your budget? Mobile Suites is Top of the line but your SRW would not be suited for that much trailer.
Cedar Creek and Cardinal both offer good value for the dollar, but again IMHO you do not have enough truck for the larger ones. Pin weight is always going to be the killer in your case. When a pin weight approaches 3000 pounds you can run out of truck in a big hurry.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:15 AM   #6

top of the line

i think i am leaning towards the alpine 3640rl by keystone seems like a lot of bang for the buck at 65k ?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #7

If I were looking in the 65k price range, I'd seriously take a look at NuWA, and one of the Discover America models, or Carriage Cameo.
Rick&Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
i think i am leaning towards the alpine 3640rl by keystone seems like a lot of bang for the buck at 65k ?
Hey Tiregod,

$65K is a little much for an Alpine. You should be able to pick up a Carriage Cameo loaded for around $60K.

Regards, Hamshog
Hamshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Focus on floorplan first. If you get sidetracked with brand recommendations and get a layout you don't like, you'll be back looking for another rig before you want to. Once you find the floorplans you like, then focus on construction quality, rig weight compared to your truck's capability, then buy the best you can afford within those confines.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #10

Last year when I bought, I found that if you shop dealers via the internet the prices seem to come down quickly. They want to get you into the dealership, so do your negotiating on-line before you go in to look at it. I realize that last year the dealers were hurting but I still think you can work a better deal. Probably even better if you shop some of the Midwest cities. They are still hurting.

I agree with the others that $65K is too much for an Alpine.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #11

$65K is way too much too pay for an Alpine IMHO.

I just bought a new 2010 Keystone Montana (which is right under the Big Sky) for $37,500.
Not trying to tell you what to do, but I would look around for a much cheaper price if this dealer won't come down a bunch on what he's quoting.
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #12

thanks for all your help

i bought a loaded alpine today for 53000 thanks for all your help
Old 03-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #13

Jayco builds a real nice mid level rv's and some upper end, for a top of the line though check out the Mobile Suites at this link, these are the cats meow!
2010 Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (36RSSB3): Mobile Suites 5th Wheel
shipwreck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:29 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
i bought a loaded alpine today for 53000 thanks for all your help
Congratulations on your new rig!!!
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote