Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
Thanks for keeping me in mind. In about 2 weeks we leave cold N.Y. for cold Fla. & there is a Tractor Supply about 10 min. away. Possibly heading for Alaska in the spring & wanted to do the bearings prior to that trip.

2010 34' Montana 5 wheel, pulled by 2009 dodge 3500 diesel, 4x4.(gone), 2016 Ford F-350, SRW, 4X4, Diesel.
montara24d is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am a firm believe in using Synthetic grease, it is slipperier more resistant to pressure and high temperature I currently use AMSOIL - Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease, Extreme Pressure (GLC)
Or for more off road conditions AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric Off-Road Grease - NLGI #2

Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #17
There are two excellent sources of grease available as military surplus.

First is Grease Auto and Artillery GAA which is good for about -40 below to 350F. This is the same grease used for all military vehicle wheel bearings.

Second is Grease Aircraft, Wide Temperature Range WTR. It is good for about -55 below to 450F. This is the same grease used to lube B52 bomber wheel bearings as well as every other aircraft in the inventory.

I have both but I have more WTR and I pack my bearings with it. Both are synthetic.

I pack bearings by hand by first cleaning out grease from hub internal cavity. Next I degrease the bearings and inspect them for galling, flaking etc and replace if needed.

I place gob of grease in left palm and start pressing and dragging bearing in palm at edge of gob and this forces grease into every crevice of the rollers. You know you have it right when you see grease oozing out other end of cone and then rotate it a bit and start on next section.

As I finish them I lay them out on clean paper towel until I get ready to put them in.

To seat the new seal I use a large socket that will contact the seal almost it's entire surface or I have made a seal driver on my lathe as I did for M38 Jeep I had and that I still use for a M100 Jeep trailer I still have.

After I mount wheels I take it out for a tow and get out and feel hubs and see if they are getting hot. On the 86 Airstream (6500 lbs) the hub temp is just a little bit warmer than body temp. On trailers without brakes they are generally slighty cooler than body temp or same as air temp.

I was taught how to do this by a heavy truck mechanic many years ago and I have never lost a wheel bearing following his instructions.

I get my military grease from flea markets, surplus stores and I see it on ebay fairly often.

Oh by the way the WTR grease is the same as Aeroshell 33 which is like $400.00 for a 5 gal bucket. I find it surplus for like $25.00 a pail.

Humpy is offline   Reply With Quote