Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would caulk it myself and be sure the job was done right. I have never taken a vehicle, car, truck or RV back to the dealer for anything. I always do my own repairs. I have worked in several auto dealers over my career and things just don't get repaired right mostly due to the factories poor reimbursement rate to the dealers for the repair so the dealers are more interested in getting them done after customer pay work is done first.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #16

Off hand I can find a lot of places more than 60 miles from the closest RV dealer in the NE let alone the lesser populated areas of the country.

It's basic maintenance. If they will mail the tube do it yourself. If they won't and there is no local source then order the calking via internet and save the drive. DIY is not only better but also faster from the sound of things.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Just fix it. Save your outrage for something more significant and hope it doesn't happen. If you leave the trailer out in the rain for 60 days, something bad will surely happen.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #18

agree

i would fix it myself, if the problem happens again, there might be cause

to take it to the dealer.

Jim
Old 02-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #19

I would rather fix it myself than let it sit in a dealer's shop for 60 days, nothing good ever comes of that. You shouldn't even have to leave it overnight for this kind of repair. The 60 mile drive wouldn't bother me as our dealer is about 80 miles away, but both times I have taken it in, I have taken it home the same day. Also call your manufacturer Customer Service, some of them have mobile mechanics they contract with to do things like this. Although I don't think this should happen in six months, they may consider it normal maintenance rather than warranty work. The roof should be warrantied for 10 years but may be compromised if you don't do what they consider "normal maintenance". I would have them send you the tube of caulking and do it yourself, it will take you about an hour at most, and you know it will be done right. Also you then can keep using the same caulking they sent you for future sealing jobs and there will be no question as to you using the right products should a warranty issue arise.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
The roof should be warrantied for 10 years but may be compromised if you don't do what they consider "normal maintenance".
Just to clarify, the roof MEMBRANE has that decade or more warranty. Not the sealant or the roof decking.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On a 2004 perhaps re-caulking might be routine maintenance but on a 2014, it is a warranty repair.

In fact I'd like to know WHY it needs to be re-done too soon, sounds like a manufacturing defect that might result in replacement of the entire trailer.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
On a 2004 perhaps re-caulking might be routine maintenance but on a 2014, it is a warranty repair.

In fact I'd like to know WHY it needs to be re-done too soon, sounds like a manufacturing defect that might result in replacement of the entire trailer.
To be honest, I've never seen any trailer that is ten years old that had perfect, OEM sealer, have you? I've never seen a one year old trailer with perfect OEM sealer either.

To know what is really wrong, we need pics OP. Because this COULD be just shrinkage, or a lack of touch up from the dealer. There are different reasons.

Also, where is the trailer stored? In the elements 24/7 or in a shed 24/7?
Old 02-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Every 90 days comes pretty quick. Checking the caulking is a hassle but necessary. Sorry you are having the issues. I'd get up there and inspect to make sure there isn't a leak. 60 days from now is one day after tax day April 16. You should be camping by then.
Caulk it yourself.
Shaw988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:38 PM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
What would you do?

I think you should remove yourself emotionally from what you feel the dealer or FR should do. Consider that even if both the cost of repair AND transport were covered, you are still out the many hours to get it there and pick up. Not to mention the time without use of the trailer. Take the tube and spend 15 minutes to caulk it yourself. If you're maintaining your trailer as necessary, it won't be the last time caulking. It also gives you more opportunity to learn the nuances of your unit. Try to enjoy the time spent doing minor repairs, because there are likely many more in your future. It's a normal part of owning a travel trailer - no matter what flavor (brand) you choose.

- 2011 Ram 3500 DRW
- 2014 Arctic Fox 31D
Old 02-16-2015, 12:52 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Use ETERNABOND to seal the seam if at all possible !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:19 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fix it yourself. That way it's done and you know it's done right.

The next RV you buy will be from a different dealer and probably a different brand.

I've done lots of repairs on RV's we've had, it's part of the game. But I always remember where I received good service and a good product.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Use ETERNABOND to seal the seam if at all possible !
X2
I would Eternabond it after removing any excess caulk and cleaning with acetone.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #28

X3 Eternabond is great stuff !!!!

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote