Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
I like to put down caulk, then Eternabond on top after the caulk dries. Now you have two layers of protection, and the Eternabond will keep the caulking in brand new condition for many many years.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #30

For a simple problem like this I would have purchased a tube of Dicor and fixed it in the time it took to post asking what you should do. Dealers have no control over where you live. You could move closer if that is an issue but I'm sure you like living where you are. I don't understand the distance issue. You are always better off learning to do your own maintenance.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #31

what would you do???

forget the trip and dealer, get some tubes of DICOR lap sealant and do it yourself. you will do it right and a better job than the dealer. might consider putting the dealers name on the forum so others can stay away....
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #32

Jayco Owners Club
For me it's the quality of help the dealers hire... and of course, not in every case. I had a recall for the cracked skylight on my trailer. Before I fixed it myself, there were horror stories about the quality of workmanship at dealers doing a relatively simple task. Over-tightened screws cracking the new unit before it was even screwed down all the way... etc. I had them send me the skylight and a tube of Dicor, and did it correctly myself. I haven't been sorry. Yes, it was 2 hours out of my life that I'll never get back... but I looked at it last week, 2 years after I did it, and it's still good... Thirty minutes of your time is always worth a little peace of mind...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:49 PM   #33

I feel for you, not sure if there is a dealer closer to you then the one you bought it from, but here in N. Ca. if you do not buy it there they will not do warranty work. We bought from the only dealer in N. Ca. that carried Black Stone, 160 miles from home. No way the dealer will pay fuel costs for travel to & from for warranty work. The last time it was in for warranty repairs, the dealer damaged our trailer. I am taking it back in to be repaired at their cost, including my fuel costs, which they agreed to because they caused the repair issues. I still am loosing the cost of wear & tear on the vehicles and spending the day driving and standing around waiting for them to fix what never should have been done. I am going to be there watching when they do the work, This will be the last time I deal with the buffoons, (hopefully).
Old 03-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #34

Formaldehyde

Hi I just purchased a 2002 Fleetwood Prowler for fulltiming. I homeschool my son and I will be using the camper alot. I found out it has UF (urea-formaldehyde). What can be done to help with this?Thanks
tabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabi View Post
Hi I just purchased a 2002 Fleetwood Prowler for fulltiming. I homeschool my son and I will be using the camper alot. I found out it has UF (urea-formaldehyde). What can be done to help with this?Thanks

Where this the info come from. Many standard building materials, particularly insulation products have some level of urea formaldehyde. If I were you, I would get a consumer test kit and test to see if I really had a problem or not.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:20 AM   #36

Forgeddaboudit. A 2002 has had 14 years to outgas the formaldehyde fumes that you are concerned about. There is little to none left. Any that is left is pretty well encapsulated so it will stay there.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:27 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Forgeddaboudit. A 2002 has had 14 years to outgas the formaldehyde fumes that you are concerned about. There is little to none left. Any that is left is pretty well encapsulated so it will stay there.

I believe this post is correct.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #38

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My dealer has treated my family very well, for we have purchased 6 trailers from them over the years. I have gotten to know them very well and for the most part we both have agreed that it is much easier for them to hand me the warranty item and I fix it myself. If it is a part that needs to be sent back I return it to them and they take care of it. Most dealers I would think would like to operate in this fashion for, warranty work doesn't pay squat and its another trailer to store on their lot taking up space.

As for caulking, you are going to be using a half a tube of roofing and siding sealant every year anyways. So why not keep it on hand and ready to go. Remember, the RV manufactures are trying to get these out the door using as little materials doing so to save a buck. I would have the dealer send me two tubes of caulk and just go over the entire roof so that you know its done and done right.

Like 1010 said, when you leave your property in the hands of others they may cause more damage than what is was brought in for. Its hard to trust others to take care of your property the way that you do.