Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2015, 06:38 AM   #1

What would you do?

We have a 2014 Rockwood travel trailer. Last fall we found the caulking between the front cap and rubber roof split. I had been up there a month earlier and did not see this.

I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in and they would re-caulk it. But it would be sixty days before they could get to it. I asked about a service call and they said Forrest River would not pay for it. They would send me a tube of caulking and I could do it myself. I am a handy guy.

Folks have told me that I should have hauled it to the dealer a trip of sixty miles one way, leave it there for sixty days. Now I have to travel 120 miles up and back and than when it is finished another 120 mile trip.

I was told Forest River would pay the bill. WHAT? WHAT BILL? What about the 240 miles I had to drive. Are they paying for that? NO!

What would you do? calking or haul it back
psrujak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 06:52 AM   #2

Keeping up with the caulking on a rig is regular maintenance. A tube of self leveling Dicor is 11 bucks and it is a half hour job. If you are getting the tube for free then you are out a half hour of time.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:59 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I would never knowingly leave my roof compromised for 60 days. I would caulk it.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:03 AM   #4

This is just my opinion, but if it's something that I can do, I prefer to do it myself. Sometimes other folks don't work on your stuff with the same enthusiasm as you would.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #5

It is regular maintenance. NO dealer or manufacturer will pay for your trip. You decided to purchase an RV. You are not owed anything because you decided to drive a rig that sucks fuel.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
It is regular maintenance. NO dealer or manufacturer will pay for your trip. You decided to purchase an RV. You are not owed anything because you decided to drive a rig that sucks fuel.

That is not regular maintenance when I owned it only 6 months.

All vehicles suck full or they would not run. What does that have to do with having a roof repaired.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:52 AM   #7

I don't think my dealer would even offer a tube of chalk. I'd take the free tube and do it myself.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a ForestRiver Rockwood TT with a roof problem a few years back. While, in the end, they did repair it under warranty, it took more than six (6) months to complete. Ugh! Great people caught in a rigorous bureaucracy, I think. We missed almost half of the camping season ... NOT!

Wife and I got tired of waiting for the next, "...The roof is not repaired yet..." phone call and decided to use our RVing time to look at new trailers. We figured we would just sell the [other new] one with the roof problem if/when we ever got it back. We were hoping to get some camping in before the snow started falling.

Well ... as things turned out, that is when we bought our first Class A (a bit bigger upgrade than we anticipated!) motorhome. So the silver lining for us was that we fell in love with a new kind of RVing because of the ForestRiver bureaucracy.

Funny Story: When we finally sold the ForestRiver, I had to tow it to the buyer's location. I used the motorhome as the tow vehicle. It was an unusual-looking RV. One of the comments that I heard was, "Are you towing your mother-in-law apartment?!?" Thought that was a pretty funny interpretation of what we were doing! LOL! Wish now that I had taken a picture of the setup.

Good luck getting your roof sealed QUICKLY!

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I would take the tube of caulk and schedule the appointment. Drive to the dealer with the rig on day 60 and wait for it.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wondering if there is a problem that caused the caulking to split, is there a bigger problem that needs to be addressed?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by psrujak View Post
That is not regular maintenance when I owned it only 6 months.

All vehicles suck full or they would not run. What does that have to do with having a roof repaired.
I think FR says check and reseal as needed every 90 days, if I'm not mistaken?

I'm saying you mentioned that FR wouldn't pay the bill for you to transport it. Why did you mention that?
Old 02-15-2015, 05:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I think FR says check and reseal as needed every 90 days, if I'm not mistaken?

I'm saying you mentioned that FR wouldn't pay the bill for you to transport it. Why did you mention that?
Someone said I should take it back to the dealer for them to make the repairs. 120 mile round trip for a simple caulking job.

My point is FR should of paid for a service call. Only had the camper 6 months.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #13

First thing, find another dealer. If they can't do a simple caulking job while you wait, they don't deserve any business.

You can't leave a trailer outdoors, leaking water, for any amount of time. Fix it now!

There may be hidden problems that caused the cracks, but that can be addressed later. For now, the cracks need to be sealed. As you are learning, an RV is just a pile of raw materials that needs further assembly.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by psrujak View Post
My point is FR should of paid for a service call. Only had the camper 6 months.
That's what I was wondering about. I don't see why they should. You bought an RV that is portable. It is your prerogative to move it wherever you want, and to buy it in the first place.
Because caulking is routine maintenance, it is not a warrantied item. Every 90 days it is to be inspected and sealed as needed by the owner, not by the manufacturer.