Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjjohnson View Post
W4RLR, I was looking at those at CampingWorld. I think those will help. I was also thinking about wiping all the surfaces with someting like Murphy's Oils soap or Pine Sol... Something with an oil that will get into the wood and maybe seal it. Heck, Maybe lemon Pledge would even work. It's not looking like rain here for another week so I left several of the windows open just a bit to air it out. Thanks for the ideas.

kj
A lot of the so called "wood" surfaces aren't wood, they're particle board wrapped with a plastic film finish. The oil won't penetrate but it might remove/cover a smell. We have a light interior, it is real hardwood and I wouldn't dare use and oil on it as it would turn the color due to the oil getting beneath the finish.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #16

vent covers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
Get vent covers for your roof vents, then leave the vents open. The covers will keep the rain out but let the interior air be changed.
This is good advise, as are the other suggestions. But ventilation is key for odor and moisture control. Get the vent covers and leave them open year-round. I use vinegar as an all-purpose cleaner (mixed half and half with water) in a spray bottle. I also use Murphy Oil Soap for cabinets and paneling.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Wipe surfaces w/ vinegar - it works wonders in dispelling odors. Might have to do it a few times. Also, newspaper absorbs odors. I loosely crumple up sheets and stuff them in my fridge and leave it open while in storage. When I go to take it out and start loading in the food, it smells like the day we bought it. It couldn't hurt to try it in the trailer? Might take ALOT of newspaper but worth a shot! Good luck

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #18

Quote:
What do you guys use to keep your trailer fresh when it's not in use.
I was told a light but thorough spay of Lysol is supposed to help keep "old" trailer smells at bay. It did seem to help in our old '82 Sunline TT. Leaving windows open a crack and the roof vent cracked also helps. We now have a new TT and make sure there is some air circulation at all times.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Ghoststories... there are no carpeted areas though. Maybe on the seating though. What does vinegar do? I've never heard of using that?

KJ
Dinette seating and mattresses (all kinds of materials that contain cotton) tend to collect odors so you may want to replace them or air them out well. The covers may come off the dinette cushions and be washable. Many of the older ones were. Don't forget to wash the curtains also.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #20

I pour some lemon scent pinesol down every drain and the toilet.Odors can come up through the sink and shower traps if dry.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #21

Thanks for all the tips...
kwjjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Dinette seating and mattresses (all kinds of materials that contain cotton) tend to collect odors so you may want to replace them or air them out well. The covers may come off the dinette cushions and be washable. Many of the older ones were. Don't forget to wash the curtains also.
That is what I was thinking too.
Use a "steam" cleaning machine. I use a Bissell upright with the upholstery attachments for my auto seats. They look and feel like new when done.
You can also wet down the cushion covers with plain water or some kind of cleaning solution and then use a shop vac.
Don't forget that you can just beat the cushions with a stick - outside of course - then vacuum them.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Anything fabric that can be washed, should be. This is more likely what has absorbed any residual odors that keep returning. If it can be removed and washed in the washing machine do, If not, hose it down and let it dry with a fan blowing on it in the garage or outside if the weather is nice.
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #24

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
MMHmmm. I told ya... if a woman can figure out how not to do the Afghanistan banned explosions, men could too if they only wanted to!
Men know not to hold in their wind. They know that if they do, the wind will creep up their spine to their brain. Such is the genesis of crappy ideas!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #25

We bought an ozone thingy that plugs into the cigarette lighter on the wall of our travel trailer. She also keeps a container of DAMP RID in the sink when the trailer is closed up for the week. (We try to get it out of the driveway on the weekends, just to keep the spiders building new webs.)
Old 05-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #26

Ozone is great for Odor Control. Unlike air fresheners that only mask the odor, ozone fights the odors at a molecular level.

Not sure where you're located but I have a business here in Southern California offering odor removal services for cars, trucks, RV's etc. I actually started the "automotive" division to create work for my oldest nephew who turned 18 this year. We have been using this technology for years in fire and flood restoration.

A word of caution... Low levels of ozone are nothing more than a masking agent (much like fragrances and air fresheners). High level of Ozone is very effective (also called shock ozone treatment) but is harmful to living things (people, pets and plants) and thus special precautions need to be taken prior to treatment.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions and I'll be more than happy to guide you in the right direction.
Cash-Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #27

I live here in Florida and you know how high the humidity can be. I use Damprid and this keeps by RV fresh like the day I bought it. The key to keeping your RV not smelling is ventilation and keeping it clean. I also keep my refrigerator doors open during storage.

Buy DampRid FG 91 Any Room Moisture Absorber & More | drugstore.com
Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #28

If there is any fabric in the camper at all, Use Febreeze! It is the best!
Jennifer P is offline   Reply With Quote