Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #1

What you you guys use to keep your trailer fresh?

I think my old (new to me) trailer must have been in storage for a bit, it has a "old trailer" smell. Not bad, not mildew or anything, just old...like dust, or an old barn. I cleaned all the surfaces and let it air out, but after being closed up it's smells like old again. Open the doors and windows and it's fresh again within minutes.
What do you guys use to keep your trailer fresh when it's not in use. I was thinking one of those Airwick fresheners or even the kind that spray every so many minutes. At some point the paneling should absorb the scent, right? Febreeze worked great, but as soon as the doors are shut for a few days, it's back. Maybe an air filter/ozonator running for a few days? Maybe it's just what trailers smelled like in 1988 Any ideas would sure help.
kwjjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Maybe you could sprinkle some baking soda on the carpeted areas, and let it sit a day or so before vacumning it up, or try sitting some bowls of vinager in the camper...wishing you all the best.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Ghoststories... there are no carpeted areas though. Maybe on the seating though. What does vinegar do? I've never heard of using that?

KJ
Old 04-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Try throwing some Bounce fabric softener sheets in the cupboards. People think Bounce repels mice (it doesn't) but it does leave a light fresh smell in the air.

Vinegar in a dish is a good, old fashioned air freshener, as well.

That "old closet" smell has probably permeated a lot of surfaces. A wipedown of everything you can reach; ceiling, floors, insides of drawers and cupboards and so on with a very weak bleach and water solution will also help.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Have you tried using disinfecting wipes, there are many brands available, the ones I use are bleach free, safe to use on most surfaces, and are lemon scented...I use them every spring to wipe down the entire camper from ceiling to floor, adds a nice clean smell.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Get vent covers for your roof vents, then leave the vents open. The covers will keep the rain out but let the interior air be changed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #7

W4RLR, I was looking at those at CampingWorld. I think those will help. I was also thinking about wiping all the surfaces with someting like Murphy's Oils soap or Pine Sol... Something with an oil that will get into the wood and maybe seal it. Heck, Maybe lemon Pledge would even work. It's not looking like rain here for another week so I left several of the windows open just a bit to air it out. Thanks for the ideas.

kj
Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vinegar is a great neutralizer. I've used vinegar sitting about in bowls before to remove smoke and other odors. It will smell like vinegar for a few days but then the vinegar odor goes away. Like any liquid vinegar will evaporate, so you may need to replace the vinegar a couple times.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I leave it to DW and she buys some sort of air freshener. it works.

I think that the more you use it the less smell you will have. As you move around you circulate the air, but it does have to have some way of venting. If you ever walk into a "New" RV it has that particular odor to it, lie formaldehyde. The dealer will put fans in there and fire up the AC for 3 or 4 days on full blast and by the time it is picked up the smell as diminished considerably. You may want to stick a couple osculating fans in there with the vent or window open to see if that helps.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #10

A few bars of your favorite scented bar soap works well. I used Irish spring over the winter.
Kunysz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
SMELLS

if you have access to an ion unit, it will help a lot But, ventilation is the best cure. Had a friend that had the same issue. They put a apple spice potpuree (spelling) on the stove and let it simmer. That unit still smells great.

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #12
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
if you don't like the smell of vinegar, you can use coffee grounds or baking soda.

I like reed diffusers such as these. You can get them in ANY scent you like. They are available in many stores such as Target.

Reed Diffusers Products | at Puritan's Pride
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My wife provided an addendum to my post. Here it is - her voice.

"We use Bath and Body Works plug-ins (eucalyptus mint, lemon, non-floral scents) in the galley plus a gel Air Wick on the ledge behind the toilet. When doggy paw odors get to me, I spray the carpet with Febreze. When human odors get to me, I suggest that you shower." (You meaning me!)

She also mentioned that I am not allowed to .....Well, the Marines banned it in Afghanistan, she's a Marine, She has banned it in the MH - but I just ignore it - heck no court-martial would ever see it her way - would they?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
MMHmmm. I told ya... if a woman can figure out how not to do the Afghanistan banned explosions, men could too if they only wanted to!