Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #1

What's needed?

All set for our 1st run. New Jeep Liberty pulling a new Coleman 18' trailer. I've been doing my reading but a couple questions. Is there a short list of what essentials to bring for boondocking and "fancy" campgrounds as well? Like hoses. Is one water hose enough, or do you carry 2?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #2

Oh, Be sure you get one that does not have that vinyl taste. also Walmart has the blue water filter you put between the hose and the trailer. That will filter most of the ugly taste out of the water. Don't forget to get a pressure regulator. That puppy will keep your trailer pipes from bursting if your camp ground water pressure is higher than normal. I put my pressure regulator after the hose and before the filter. ( filter on the trailer regulator on the filter and then the hose on the regulator.) Oh yeah, to answer your question, I have an extra length of 30 amp electrical cord, and an extra hose. Have not had to use the hose yet, but I did have to borrow the extra length of 30amp cord. Then I ran out and bought my own. its still in the original package.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #3

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat
Walmart has the blue water filter you put between the hose and the trailer. That will filter most of the ugly taste out of the water.
The filter is camco and make sure you flush it before you connect to trailer or fill water tank, if you don't you will get all the initial charcoal in your tank.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
I like short water hoses so i carry 2 short ones and if it needs to be longer i put them together sometimes you will find a park that the spigot is on the wrong side also drinking water hoses are not always white either Walmart has some blue ones that are RV / marine rated too if you are going to be boondocking carry a water thief as sometimes the spigots are not threaded
Old 05-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKConey View Post
Is there a short list of what essentials to bring for boondocking and "fancy" campgrounds as well? Like hoses. Is one water hose enough, or do you carry 2?
I carry two. The short 10' one that came with the trailer, plus a longer 30' one for "just in case".

Plus:

30" 30 amp extension cord.

50-amp to 30-amp converter. I had to use mine two nights ago when the RV park's 30-amp source didn't work, so I plugged into the 50-amp source and didn't have to holler for the campground folks to fix my electric.

30-amp to 20-amp converter. Needed to plug into a normal outlet in a house or garage of someone you're visiting. Like right now parked in my daughter's driveway 1,500 miles from home. Plugged finto shore power so the reefer will work without running down the RV battery.

Wheel chocks to be sure the trailer doesn't move when you disconnect from the tow vehicle.

Leveling blocks to go under the tires on one side when not parked on a level parking place. Lynx Levelers Leveling Kit (10-Pack) with Bag Lynx Levelers Trailer Jack,Wheel Chocks 77433
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #6

I always carry two water hoses and a spare sewer hose. I have had two water hoses rupture at different times. What could have been a major headache was just the minor inconvenience of changing out the hose. Same for sewer hose. Pulled mine out of the storage and it just fell apart. It was simple to get out the spare and get on with the camping trip.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
30" 30 amp extension cord.
Well, that wouldn't be very usefull. Make that 30'.