Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #1

What's This ?

Hello All

Probably another stupid quest. from a newbie to TT's. The more i fix on my (new to us ) 2000 25' Keystone Springdale, the more a find wrong ? I learned about the amplfied tv antenna's and know i have to change the antenna for the new DTV, but what is the recepticle below the coaxial fitting ?

Thanks Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8807.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	48091  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It's a 12v outlet (cigarette lighter style), a hold over from the days when 12v TVs were in use.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Don't assume you need to change the antenna for digital TV. Depending on the type you have it may or may not be optimal for DTV, but I'd try it first. Most will work.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is no such thing as a digital or HD antenna. An antenna receives any signal and the TV is what converts the signal to digital, either SD or HD. The bulk of the digital stations are in the UHF band and a few are in the VHF-High band.

If you have the Wineguard batwing style, simply add the "Wingman" and it will improve on the UHF band performance. Be aware that the antenna will be more directional and that digital signals are either on or no picture. You won't get a snowy picture.

Ken
Old 10-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
It's a 12v outlet (cigarette lighter style), a hold over from the days when 12v TVs were in use.
==============

Actually the 12 Volt D.C. outlet is now standard on our 2014 Keystone Cougar High Country 321RES. We use it to recharge our cell phones etc....
Nice feature.
Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #6

I just added new HDTVs in my coach and the old antenna works fine. Be sure to turn on the signal booster( the switch on your 12v outlet). I plan on getting a 12v cord for the outlet for the bed room tv so we can watch tv without gen running. Need to see if booster is 12v or not, forgot to check.

This is my antenna, have not looked up brand.

Name:	image-3950892772.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	48219

Name:	image-3870469931.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	48220
Old 10-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #7

Many of the new 24" and smaller flat panel tv's now run on 12 volts. They use those obnoxious plug-in transformers like computer printers or modems use.

This is very convenient for RV applications. Plus a lot of them only draw 18 to 30 watts. Not too bad.

My current favorite brand, Samsung, runs on 14 volts which means I need to select a different brand for my plan to work.

-Bill
Old 10-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see someone actually found a use for that almost useless 12 volt outlet. .YES it has enough power to re-charge a cell phone.. Might run a 5" TV,, Not much more than that.

But that is what it is.

Also the plate is upside down, Normally the 12 volt outlet is on top.. This, however, will NOT affect performance.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #9

Golly, I have a couple of those "useless 12 volt outlets" in my TT and I love them, I use them a lot. But, I like to go "dry camping" which is where you do not have a place to plug into 120 volts. I've converted my battery's to 2-6 volt golf cart batteries and I then use those 12 volt outlets to charge my phone or, I plug a cheap power inverter to it so that I can run my Television for a couple of hours a day. Thanks to that 12 volt outlet I can go 3-4 days without electricity.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #10

I use the 12v outlet to charge my phone. I also use the 12v outlet to power my 22" Samsung LCD TV. I just got the adaptor at Radio Shack. It says it needs 14v on the back but operates fine on 12v (down to about 12.5v so it has a built in battery protection) and it draws about 2 amps on the meter. An added feature I like about the Samsung is the USB, it will play any type of video like avi, divix, mkv, mp4, in 1080 or 720. The 19" also has the same features. 12v plugs come in handy!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I see someone actually found a use for that almost useless 12 volt outlet. .YES it has enough power to re-charge a cell phone.. Might run a 5" TV,, Not much more than that.

But that is what it is.

Also the plate is upside down, Normally the 12 volt outlet is on top.. This, however, will NOT affect performance.
If the outlet is at the top the "Winegard" W is upside down!

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote