Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Wheel bearing lubrication

How often or better yet how many miles before repacking wheel bearings do most people put on their trailers. Last year I took 12 trips for a total of 2,960 miles on my new trailer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 11:56 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The folks that made your axles will know. Which axles do you have?

Annually is probably good, or at least good enough. I've owned my trailer since August. I'll inspect and pack the bearings over the summer sometime.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:07 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
They are Dexter brand.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #4

I do mine every couple years. About 5,000+. I would never do them every year. However with the way the new trailer axles have been delivered lately I would do it after the 1st year. Seems like too many have had seal issues.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intothewild View Post
They are Dexter brand.
http://www.dexteraxle.com/literature1
Old 04-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #6

I had my new trailer hand packed. Now I know for sure what I have and the hubs are running cooler than as delivered.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #7

Do you Know:
How much grease is in there?
What kind of grease is in there?
That the bearings are adjusted correctly?
That the all the brakes work?
That there is no grease on the brakes?
That the brakes are adjusted correctly?

If you answered yes to all of the above, then you might be OK.

Personally, I would service any trailer as soon as possible after purchase.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:00 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I removed the dust caps when I first picked it up last spring and could see some grease. On the first 80 mile round trip the hubs were rather really warm but not screaming hot. I checked under the dust caps again and it looked the same as the last it I checked. The second trip was about 650 miles round trip and it was about the same or less. I could keep my hand on it for as long as needed. The brakes work great all last Sumer once I got them dialed in. The literature says 12 months or 12,000 miles. I would like to wait until it is warmer out to do a repacking and I am not near the mileage that they state. But I figured I would ask on this forum to see what others think before the start of my camping season as I have another 11 trips planed this year so far
Old 04-07-2016, 10:24 PM   #9
RPr

Once a year or 5000 miles seems to be the norm. Hand packed or EZ lube seems to be a personnel choice.

Some will replace the original bearings with high dollar name brand bearings.

Like tires there are numerous opinions.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:32 AM   #10

Here are some of my "opinions" that I posted a few weeks ago:
Brakes, Bearings and Spindles
Old 04-08-2016, 03:28 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Here are some of my "opinions" that I posted a few weeks ago:
Brakes, Bearings and Spindles

Wow that was a great post thanks for the link. Very informative. When I had searched there was just so many to pick from that I did not see that. I also appreciate the fact that you called it your options even though you have a lot of good facts in there along with some of the other people who posted to this. This was what I wanted opinions with some facts in there. Thanks to every one for there posts. This has conferred a lot of my thoughts and I have learned a little bit. More info and options are always accepted thank everyone.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Intothewild,
One of the reasons to pull the wheels and pack the bearings annually is to check the brakes, brake components and also suspension. Over the years I have found broken adjusters, return springs, loose ubolts, worn shackles etc. Just this year I found a broken brake line and one that had been crushed(I have hydraulic disks). so although it might be overkill, it is the other things that you find that can cause you a problem out on the road. It also gives you a reason to adjust the brakes, which most people forget about.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Intothewild,
One of the reasons to pull the wheels and pack the bearings annually is to check the brakes, brake components and also suspension. Over the years I have found broken adjusters, return springs, loose ubolts, worn shackles etc. Just this year I found a broken brake line and one that had been crushed(I have hydraulic disks). so although it might be overkill, it is the other things that you find that can cause you a problem out on the road. It also gives you a reason to adjust the brakes, which most people forget about.
Frank

All really good points
Old 04-18-2016, 11:02 PM   #14

Most cars today have intervals of 10's of thousands of miles on front wheel bearings. Of course they use better bearings than the crap they put on trailers. Every two years is often enough. I do it every year because it gives me the opportunity to check the brakes, clean inside the hubs and adjust the brakes. I like doing the service also. Don't worry about 5 or 10 thousand miles being too many miles and that your axles are about to fall off. They won't.

Tags
cat