Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #1

wheel bearings

Trailer hubs have grease zirks. Do I pump until washer moves to front, or maybe only 10 pumps ??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tom,
First thing is make sure the grease is for wheel bearings, and not just a chassis grease, then I always jack the wheel up so I can spin it. Then pump the grease in till you see it come out the front bearing, you can see the top of the bearing over the washer. Then I spin the tire a few revolutions and usually put 1 or 2 more pumps in.
Good time to adjust the brakes while it is jacked up. And check the springs and shackles for any wear or anything out of the ordinary. Also check the tires on the inside for any problems. Don't forget jack stands before crawling under a jacked up vehicle.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Also, make sure you do not put so much grease in that you push out the seal that is on the back of the hub.

Jerry
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #4

Just pull the hubs, and do it right.
Otherwise, you'll be buying all new brake back plates, hubs, and everything.
I just think they are for lazy people who don't want to spend the money and expect they won't ever have to fork over money for an RV.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Absolutely don't pump grease through them and contaminate remove and hand pack.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like someone put boat bearing buddies on your RV. If you have the E-Z Lube axles, there very specific instructions fro lubing the axles so that you do blow a grease seal and mess up the brakes.

Ken
Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #7

thanks for the quick replies. The trailer is new, so it will be some time before I need to repack. I was just wondering how much to pump in, so as not to blow out the seals.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Tom,
Being new, I would still do the bearings to be sure. You never know how long the unit has been sitting, or if it was even serviced. Cheap insurance.
Frank
Old 06-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #9

If the unit is new, I wouldn't pump any grease in there at all.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get the manual out and read the E-Z Lube axle instruction. AS I said, there are very specific instructions for applying grease and type grease.

Ken
Old 06-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
This really opens up a can of worms. If the TT is new or new to you it is still advisable to remove the wheels and repack by hand as has been suggested. If it is used you don't know the current condition of the bearings, hubs and brakes. If it is new you still don't know the condition of the bearings, or hubs. I have read on many different forums about people who inspected their units after a few thousand miles and found a blown rear seal and their hubs were covered in grease. Does it happen very often??? I don't know but it only needs to happen to you once.

As mentioned the EZ-Lube systems were developed by the boat trailer industry. Why?? Because you back your boat into the water and you also usually don't have trailer brakes. Pump grease in and water is forced out. The EZ-Lube system opens you up to putting to much grease into the hub and blowing out the seals. Here's one reason besides to much grease. The grease used is much thinner than regular bearing grease so it can get through the tiny hole in the axle to lube the inner bearing. Thinner grease means it can get out easier. One more reason is I always use synthetic bearing grease. Those bearings have a big job to do and synthetic grease is 10 X's the quality of regular grease.

Bearing adjustment is critical and nobody adjusts my wheel bearings except me. I know how to do it and it will be exactly correct.
JM2CW
TeJay
Old 06-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #12

We also have the grease-able bearings in our TT. I am so confused as to what to do. I've read that you should grease them every month in the camping season. I've read to do it twice a year. I've also read NOT to do it or else. I have also read that it is a good idea to do it right after you buy a new unit because sometimes the factory forgets to grease the bearings.

What is a person supposed to do? I've read so many pros and cons out there.

From what I understand, if you pump in too much grease, you can either blow out the seals or even worse, contaminate the brake linings and parts with grease which causes a huge mess and repair cost. I've read that if you do pump grease in, it should be 5-10 pumps until you see some coming out. Would it be better to be cautious and go with just 5 pumps?

I recently went to a dealer (not ours) to ask about bearing grease. They didn't have any for sale and directed me to the local discount auto parts store. Pffft. I think that the grease needs to have a minimum melting point of 440 degrees? I was looking a a cartridge of Pennzoil and there is no MP on it.

What is the best approach on this? Get the dealer to confirm what to do? I'd have to read again, but I don't think our manual tells you how often to grease them. Or, can you go wrong by just getting the bearings greased manually once a year? I really want to take care of our TT and don't know what to do.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #13

Since 2005 my greasable bearings (ezlube) on my 13,500 pound fifth wheel have been no problem. Had one drum off the other day and there was plenty of grease. A couple of pumps of the grease gun once a year should be all you need. Now, if your a full timer and put lots of miles on, then that schedule needs to be upped some. The biggest problem i see with this system is that lots of people mistake the ezlube system for bearing buddies on boat trailers. Totally different systems that look similar. One you pump lots of grease to displace water. The other you add little grease to lubricate the bearings.

As for the grease question? I have for many many years used what was in the grease gun. Most all the cartridges i have looked at say wheel bearing grease or some similar statement. As a last resort EP-1 or Extreme Pressure is more than sufficient. Just dont buy the cheapest or most expensive cartridge and you will be fine.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
myredracer,
1. As I said earlier, you jack the wheel up, pump grease in till you can see it coming out of the front of the bearing. You are to turn the wheel while you are doing this.
2. Look at the grease tube and it will say for chassis and wheel bearings, if it is for that.
3. As far as frequency, once a year or 10 to 12,000 miles whichever comes first. Every couple years you should pull the wheels and hand pack the bearings and check qall your brakes and hardware. Being a new unit, I would still grease the bearings, just see the grease come through, it could be only 1 pump or a part of a pump if they were done right, or it could be more if they weren't.
4. As far as blowing out the seals, it will be pretty hard to blow them out with a hand grease gun, you would be able to feel the resistance and keep pumping to cause this. Most times the seals are blown out by holding a powerered grease gun on them.
Frank