Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
I used them with great success on all of my boat trailers. The bearings stayed lubed and my wheels consistently had a nice coat of grease & dirt on the insides

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do yourself a favor and don't try these shortcut methods of bearing lubrication. Most of them have issues and unless you know exactly what's going on the price can be a lot higher.

On cars/trucks that required periodic bearing service we only did it about every 30,000 to 40,000 miles and never sooner. Usually when we did a front break service. Why, why, why is is necessary to do it more often on a TT. Nobody has ever answered that question to my satisfaction. Are the bearing to small for the weight they carry??? Then they should have larger bearings.

Learn how to service the bearings and do it every 2-3 years. Also use a good synthetic Amzoil or Mobil 1 bearing lube. The stuff you get at a TT store will be much thinner. Those bearing short cut systems use a small hole for the grease to travel to the inner bearing and therefore it has to be thinner.

Also get the bearing clearance correct. It should be .001 to .003 of tire side to side movement. PM me if you want/need any more explanation on doing that.

TeJay

Old 08-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #17

Thanks to one and all. Had my local trusted mechanic replace all the seals (took two days to get correct parts) and repack the bearings. Guess I'm good to go for at least two years then I,ll try to re-pack them myself. When that day comes I'll seek your advise on the do it yourself bearing re-pack subject.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #18

Bearing buddies only put grease to the outside bearing. No grease can get to the inside bearing. If you talk to RV techs who have been around awhile they will tell you not to use bearing buddies. They will also tell you they have replaced many ruined axles that had bearing buddies. The EZ-Lube system is different in that the grease goes through the center of the axle to the inside bearing where it is then channeled to the outside bearing assuming that no grease gets past the inside seal. I have experience with both systems. Nothing replaces pulling the hubs off and inspecting the bearings and repacking them.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Check your axles. Are they marked "Dexter" or have an engraved serial number (Dexter engraves the number) ?

If they are Dexter, you have E-Z Lube. Go to their website or You Tube and there are videos about how to use them properly.

Remember that Al-Ko also makes an " E-Z Lube " type axle . My cougar came with them . They have a metal band wrapped around the axle that has all the info , such as max weight , model , date of manufacture and such . I don't know that they are better or worse than a Dexter axle , but I would treat them both the same when talking about bearings and bearing maintenance.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
Bearing buddies only put grease to the outside bearing. No grease can get to the inside bearing.
On boat trailers, I believe they pack the axles with grease 'full up' so any new grease injected through the zerk on the Bearing Buddy does push the grease on to the inside bearing. Sort of like the way old VWs front axles were packed. I did dozens of VWs in the '60s and '70s, when I got a car other than VW I had to just pack the bearings and leave the rest of the interior empty.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #21

Boat trailer axles and RV trailer axles are different. They don't pack RV axles full of grease. They only pack the bearings. If any grease does get to the inside bearing it has no place to go so it can't displace any old grease unless the inside seal is compromised in which case the brakes may be contaminated. On top of that the grease that does reach the inside bearing is the old "dirty" grease from the outside bearing. The point is many failures have occurred with the use of bearing buddies on RV axles because the inside bearing fails. Don't take my word for it, ask some professional RV mechanics. I did, that's where I got it. And I have seen the evidence for myself - burnt up bearings and axle spindles. Using bearing buddies on RV trailer axles is kind of like never changing your engine oil and just adding some oil when it gets low.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
EZ Lube on a Dexter Axle. Just how much grease do I pump in? and how often? on my 2013 tt' you have to pop up the small rubber plug in the center of the axle. Since this was the start of our 3rd season in this RV, this past spring I did 2 pumps of Mobil1 grease into each zerk fitting. I didn't want to over-due it. I would have to say I put on 3k to 4k miles a year.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #23

With the EZ-Lube one is supposed to rotate the tire/wheel while gently pumping in grease in order to avoid pushing grease past the inside seal which may cause grease to get onto the brake shoes. Initially, there may be only grease on the bearings so all the empty space has to be filled. I have seen where people have used 1/2 tube per bearing. One is supposed to gently pump in grease while turning the tire/wheel until grease comes out of the exit port which is next to the Zerk fitting where one is pumping in grease. When this happens stop pumping grease and wipe off the excess. I personally give it a couple of pumps before each trip. This keeps fresh grease in the system. I use only synthetic grease. The factory uses a lithium based grease which is totally compatible with synthetic so it is ok to use only synthetic. Unlike Bearing Buddies, the EZ-Lube system displaces the old grease and expels it through the exit port. Here is a Dexter axle grease compatibility chart: http://www.dexteraxle.com/i/u/614960...tion_Chart.pdf
Old 09-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #24

The purpose of bearing buddies is to keep a slight positive pressure on the grease to keep water from entering when the axle is submerged on a boat trailer. That is pretty much it. Bearings still need proper maintenance with bearing buddies since the captive grease has no where to go. I tried to put them on my 2006 Springdale against everyone's advice and found that they would not fit my Al ko axles. The bearing buddies are designed to fit boat trailer axles. Come to find out the Al ko axles were a few thousands smaller. I later found out Al ko did this to prevent people from putting on bearing buddies. I am not sure about Dexter axles as I haven't tried this. I called the bearing buddies company and they told me that they may have to be turned down on a lathe to get them to fit. Maybe this is why I see very few RV trailers going down the road with bearing buddies on them. They just don't fit!