Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
When to winterize

I am a novice Travel Trailer owner (2009 Dutchmen Rainier 18.5). I am preparing for our first trip Washington to California...My question is this...The tempurature here in the Puget sound area normally doesnt get below freeezing...Since we're permanently leaving the area in just 10 days time, does it make sense to winterize for just a short time???

Any advice is welcome.

2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Duramax/18.5 Dutchmen Rainier

teamleach04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis

If the temperature is not going to be cold enough to freeze, then winterizing is not necessary.

Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Welcome to the forum. You should be heading into warmer weather. As Route 66 said, unless it is around freezing for a while or below; then you should not have any problems. You may even have tank heaters on your TT.
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2. We're glad you're here.

It usually takes a good 5+ hours of below freezing temps for lines to freeze to the point where they'd split or break. If it's that or less at night & day temps are above freezing, I feel you're fine. Your hot water & fresh tanks would take longer since they'd have several gallons in them & your grey/black tanks would either be empty or have several gallons in them, too, so they aren't in danger either.

Have a safe trip to CA & enjoy the warmer weather.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Well I just got leason in winterizing my TT really fast...

I was in the process if inspection on my and doing maintenence and found the sewer cap was dripping so I open it and found there was water left behind in the tanks. So I dumpped the left over water out and notice a chunk of ice in the sewer line... Just leave the cap off and the valves open...

So I went inside and tapped the water pump switch and found the water pump frozen...

But you can clearing see the pink stuff in all the lines.. Loosing faith in the pink stuff I figures out a way to blow all the lines out without buying/building a city line adapter. I got a water heater bypass so I open the low point drains and using regulated air pressure 40-50 PSI I would blow in one drain and the pink stuff and ice would blow out the other line. Then one at time open a faucet one at time blow again. So far no problem system is all empty now...

So at his point I'm going back to the dry system thought and using the pink stuff for drain traps..
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 towing 2000 Jayco Eagle 296 FBS
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
As far as at what night time temperature to winterize. I can live with 28 or 29 degrees, but once I see 27 and a next days high barely in the 30's, it's time to do some work.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote