Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #1

Where can I get aluminum siding.......

Thought I would ask if anyone knows where I can get aluminum siding like this. The trailer is 1977 Spartan.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Boy!

That's a beauty

The siding might be a custom order thing, though...
There's a website dedicated to old Spartans- you might try looking for answers there:
Spartan Aircraft Trailercoaches

Hope this helps-

Francesca

Old 09-20-2011, 12:21 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have no clue where you can buy matching sheet metal. But I can't resist commenting on your trailer.

That is an absolutely GORGEOUS specimen.
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #4

Thanks for the complements on the Trailer, she is a beauty, no doubt.

It doesn't have any real bad damage to the shell, just a couple of small dings and that is why I am looking for siding. We want to get her back in shape....so to speak.
The interior is in very good condition. The ceiling has a couple of stains from a previous water leak, but nothing that would be alarming. We plan on removing the walls and put in a new birch ceiling and then re skin the walls with mahogany that has a cherry wood stain.....and on and on

Basically, the entire inside will be getting a huge make over. We are going to video the entire episode in case we can help some others that may be considering a full makeover of their rigs.

I did find some aluminum siding and thought I would share this link with you folks in case there is anyone looking for this stuff.
Interstate RV Metal & Supply

Here are some pics of the inside and one more of the outside.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the Pics!
About the siding-
It's a hellacious job to remove it here and there-
If you're only talking about dings and dents, you might try just having them "pulled".
Aluminum is so malleable...
"Ding Doctor" might be able to do it- they'd just need to take care not to stretch the aluminum.
Just a thought!
Side note:
Except that my paneling is a different type, the interior of your trailer is exactly like the interior of a trailer I own that I can't find any info about.
The Title identifies it as a 1952 "Angel"-???

I wonder if it's a predecessor of yours...

Francesca
Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Thanks for the Pics!
About the siding-
It's a hellacious job to remove it here and there-
If you're only talking about dings and dents, you might try just having them "pulled".
Aluminum is so malleable...
"Ding Doctor" might be able to do it- they'd just need to take care not to stretch the aluminum.
Just a thought!
Side note:
Except that my paneling is a different type, the interior of your trailer is exactly like the interior of a trailer I own that I can't find any info about.
The Title identifies it as a 1952 "Angel"-???

I wonder if it's a predecessor of yours...

Francesca
I had thought about contacting some place like that before, but never went any further. I may see what they have to say.
There is one spot that has about a 11/2" hole where something went through the side, so I will be replacing that one and possibly the others if nothing can be done to remove the few small dents that we do have.

About your trailer, I have never heard of an Angel trailer before so I would not know much about her.
Do you have any pics?

Thanks for your input about the dents
Old 09-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Spartan View Post

About your trailer, I have never heard of an Angel trailer before so I would not know much about her.
Do you have any pics?
Hi!

I haven't taken any pics, but I think I will...
It's been here (unoccupied) for years and as you can well imagine, it's a mess.
It's really striking how similar yours is to mine...
(Except mine has the older plain birch paneling.)
Mine does have a foldup table built into the base cabinets visible in your third picture, though.
Is there a pocket door in yours' kitchen wall that closes off the back of the trailer?
By the way, my Title also says the trailer's a "32 ft."
Sure be interesting if it says the same thing on yours!

Thanks!

Francesca