Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #1

Where do you park/store your travel trailer when not in use?

I filled in a flood prone area by the shoreline bulkhead and built a flood-proof parking/storage pad for my travel trailer.

SailorDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #2

Looks nice. Have you thought about getting a little pole-barn to add a roof?
Have to ask... what makes that "flood proof"?

I am building a shed roof off the back of my garage. Still open on 3 sides but provides protection from sun, rain, hail, etc. Also adding 30amp plug and a dump port connected to my residential sewer. That way it can act as a overflow residence when family is in town.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
That looks awesome! I envy you who can park/store on your own property. Being that I live in the land of HOA (Phoenix AZ metro area), I have to pay to park mine about 6 miles away in an RV storage lot. Makes it inconvenient to "play."

- 2011 Ram 3500 DRW
- 2014 Arctic Fox 31D
Old 08-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biken201 View Post
That looks awesome! I envy you who can park/store on your own property. Being that I live in the land of HOA (Phoenix AZ metro area), I have to pay to park mine about 6 miles away in an RV storage lot. Makes it inconvenient to "play."
I did that for years... $80/month and 8 miles away gets old.
So we are moving out of the HOA 'hood and into a private home. Now I get to keep my toys and the wife gets her chickens. LOL
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #5

I live on a farm so my trailer stays in the tool shed most of the camping season. Off season it goes to a brick warehouse the wife's family owns to free up room to put more machinery away.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our 10'2" trailer fits under our 10' 6" carport, it goes farther under so it's all covered. On the "to do" list is running a 30 amp circuit, right now we use a 15 amp, (the house has ac so we don't have to run it inthe trailer)
Old 08-08-2015, 12:04 AM   #7

Covered, secured storage about 4 miles from the house that I pay WAY too much for each month. Waiting for my neighbors to move out......
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:16 AM   #8

Flood proof? You mean flood 'resistant'. Not sure there are many places that are flood proof.

Anyway - nice parking area for your toy. Agree with 'can you add an attractive roof to protect from the sun? That would be the icing on the cake. I can only keep my rig on my property for a few days before I have to move it...so I hurry to clean it and do not get time to 'piddle' on it. You will find you need to keep after things that loosen up while towing.

Again...cool spot to store your trailer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Looks nice. Have you thought about getting a little pole-barn to add a roof?
Have to ask... what makes that "flood proof"?
I have a quote from a local contractor to install an RV port similar to in this photo. $3,500 installed, anchored, etc.

Before I brought in 10 truck loads of fill dirt and 40 tons of road base, the trailer parking area looked like in the photo below:

The location is "flood proof" in the context of the Lake Livingston Dam will be overtopped before the lake level comes over my bulkhead. It is an unusual lake in that it was designed, built and maintained by the US Army Corps of Engineers, but it is owned and financed by the City of Houston.

About 2 months ago, we experienced record breaking rainfall along the Trinity River watershed. Even at it's highest level, Lake Livingston was still 2 feet below my shoreline buikhead. And my travel trailer parking pad is 2 feet above that.

Even though I am out of the flood zone, I am not out of the splash zone. With the right wind strength and direction, my travel trailer could get a "free rinse".

If the polar ice caps melt, I could be in big trouble.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I can only keep my rig on my property for a few days before I have to move it...
I used to live in a neighborhood where the deed restrictions allowed a max. of 3 days for parking travel trailers or RV's.

Where I live now, parking/storing travel trailers is allowed on your lot with a minimum 20 foot offset from the road. But the travel trailer cannot be used as a residence.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #11

We park ours in a non climate controlled building. It is a former GM assembly plant that houses hundreds of RVs, boats, and other miscellaneous wheeled items. It is a bit expensive ($1000/yr.) but is staffed 24/7 and I can pick up and drop off anytime day or night. We just can not justify the cost of building something on our lot even though it would be more convenient. One problem is that the city will not let us use a prefab metal car port type structure. It has to be "stick built" with additional paved access... rough cost .... 20 to 25 thousand, then the taxes go up as well.
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #12

I keep mine of stone I have an area with about 60 tons of 3/4 inch stone along with my boat 2 car port a couple trailers and landscaping equipment will be buying a steal garage with half sides eventually.. Feel bad for the people who have to keep them in storage I'm always in and out of mine at home

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439162394.699044.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	102680

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
2005 Chevy 2500HD crew cab
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #13

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We live on a river and have a great natural campsite - in fact, our property was a campground back in the mid 20th century. Our TT gets parked in the side yard. We just installed a 30amp connector at the house, so now I can run the air conditioner.

It is my getaway when we are not camping. We went with no slides so it is always ready to use.

I keep a ukulele inside, and often use the TT as a recording space. I have a really nice stereo system and a laptop that I keep in there, as well as books and games.

I grade student papers there, and use it to as a place to clear my mind when the world gets a little hectic.

It is the first place the grandkids go to when they come over - they consider it their playhouse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shasta 1.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	102690  
Old 08-10-2015, 07:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbleau6885 View Post
Feel bad for the people who have to keep them in storage I'm always in and out of mine at home
I get better TV reception in my Travel Trailer, so I spend a lot of time in the TT while it is in "storage" in my side yard.

I "camp out" a few times each month, just for a change.

Tags
travel, travel trailer