Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
Ken, I do not have any software but I'm one who will stare at a piece of paper until I realize what it is I want to do. As soon as I completely decide (think I might have it) then comes the fun part. I have always wanted to have a reason to make a blue print... And now I do.

Half, I have already been to 2 RV dealerships and have a good idea for what I would like to do. Also, going back to the "blue print" I will keep in order to know what is put where incase I need an "eagle eye" placement of a screw or if I do any sort of plumbing, I will have trap doors for the joints etc... I don't think I will be going too large the first go around, but you never know... I might just decide to all out, but prob. not.

I believe I will be using 3x3 angle for the frame with a bunch of bracing, then ill switch to either thin tubing for the frame under the bed and maybe the rest also, or look into... I don't know exactly, tin studs you find in office buildings.

Right now my trailer has the plywood decking I got from work... It's the best type of plywood you can buy, and I'll just use newer next time. My plan for the outside is 1x4 or 1x6 pine or cedar or something, but that's where I'm not 100% on how it will be done and still look Perty.
Again, thanks... and camp on!

DentonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #16
Someone built a 5th wheel from scratch. There's a couple of Youtube videos on it and here's one. If you google "homemade 5th wheel" you will find info. about someone called Chad on this project. He apparently spent only $9300 building it.

Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS & Ford F250 supercab V10 4x4 LB
Langley, B.C.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
I have a home built TT - my wife's uncle built it in 1995 or so. I bought it from him last summer and still pick his brain occasionally on some of the design and construction details. At the time he was working for one of the major RV manufacturers in northern Indiana, so he was able to see numerous different models under construction and learn some of the techniques that were successful and some of the techniques that resulted in a lot of warranty repairs!

My TT was built on a frame purchased from one of the RV frame wholesalers that sell to all of the major manufacturers. I would highly recommend you purchase a frame rather than build one yourself. Check out some of the welding forums and you will quickly realize that trailer frames are not a good project for amateur welders to work on. The other big advantage of purchasing a frame, rather than buying a TT that needs major renovation, is you will get a much better frame that is more overbuilt and offers a higher safety factor. Many of the frames used in RV construction have a thin margin of safety and could stand to be made from thicker steel or utilize different steel shapes that are more rigid or stronger.
archsnuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
KZ RV Club
Originally Posted by TX2Harts View Post
Good to see a local post'er.
Corinth her also

NorthTexas is offline   Reply With Quote